HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Paris

Herceptin Holiday...Anyone take one?

Hi- I posted not long ago that I had an abnormal stress echo which was followed up by a cardiac cath. Unfortunately, the results were somewhat inconclusive. My heart makes alot of pvc's (premature ventricular contractions), and there is a slight decrease in cardiac function plus I have a high cardiac output which didn't make sense because all the bloodwork I had came back normal. I am on Toprol XL (beta-blocker) and am OFF herceptin. My onc. doesn't want to risk it right now because although my LVEF on the last echo was 53% it was 67% a month prior. I switched cardiologists as I was not getting the answers I was looking for and like the new one. I'm unsure whether I should go get a second opinion at a major cardiac hospital. I think the pvc's are getting better at least when I'm not stressing my heart but I have these sensations in my chest like if someone were "pinching" my lower heart which is where the weakness is.

If you were taken off of herceptin due to cardiac issues how long of a break did you take before going back on? The plan right now is to see how my heart is at the end of the month and hopefully be able to resume herceptin. It would then be a five week break. I didn't ask how long a break I could take before it would be too late to go back on.

If you were not able to complete your year of herceptin how did/do you feel about it? I know there is much research going on about the length of treatment but until the definitive results are out, I'd like to stick with the one year. On the other hand, if I done for good at least I won't have had the emotional buildup to the last herceptin round.

Thanks for reading this ladies! I'm looking forward to your responses.

Jamie
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote