HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
weety

anyone on a herceptin break?

I've heard of women going on a herceptin break because their muga scans have dropped. But I haven't heard of many other instances when women have been taken off and then put back on like my onc seems to love doing. It's making me reeeeeaalllly nervous!

My onc pulled me off of herceptin during radiation treatments for these last 6 weeks. I got 2 other opinions from the rad oncs that I met with. One didn't have any reservation with just continiung the herceptin. THe other one said she happened to side with my onc--she usually recommends postponing herceptin when the radiation is on the left side & chest wall because of the possibility of extra heart damage. So, I finally accepted this little "break" and decided it wasn't that bad or that long.

Now my onc wants to continue this "postponement" because it looks like I might need an oopherectomy/hysterectomy sooner than we had planned. I finish my rads next week and then have a consultation with a gyn-onc to decide when to do this operation. Because it involves a complex (need I add suspicious--I swear, the anxiety never ends) cyst, I probably won't be able to do the small outpatient surgery and will have to do the whole shabam. So, I think they are not planning to give me any herceptin till I'm done with that! Since I haven't actually had the appt yet with the gyn-onc, I don't know the timeline yet, but I know it will be at least another 6 weeks! Is it safe to be off the herceptin for that much longer when it's already been 6 weeks? I feel like they are so fixated on this new problem (which may or may not be bad) that they forgot about the original problem (that we already KNOW is BAD!) Did they forget that I had a grade 3, HER2+ tumor?????!!!! I NEED MY HERCEPTIN!

TCH chemo 8/09-12/09

Ooph/hysterectomy 4/10

Started Femara 6/10

Completed year of herceptin 10/11

Zometa 1/11 (2X/yr for 2yrs)

Hopefully nothing else!!!!
weety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
jennypher6272

Re: anyone on a herceptin break?

Hi my girlfriend had been on herceptin for a while, but at her last muga, she was taken off as well, the ong says that sometimes you just need a break from it . she is now on tykerb and xeloda .....This is her dx>>>>>
dx aug 03
invasive dcis 1 cm
er/pr/her2+
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
jennypher6272 is offline   Reply With Quote