HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
ellzmom

Mom's Tykerb/Xeloda Story

Hi all,
Mom's is currently Stage IV with mets to Pleura (4/2008) and here are the current episodes and questions:
Mom went to the ER for unexplained pain that's been intermittent since shortly after starting Tykerb/Xeloda about two months ago. She knows and can endure pain because of all her life's struggles but this one (current pain, that I'll call Big Pain) is different she says and only she and God really knows what it feels like.
This is mom's history leading to the third chemo round of Tykerb/Xeloda (T/X): http://community.breastcancer.org/fo...5?page=1#idx_2
The pain as she describes it is more pronounced after taking T/X. It begins in her left breast (makes it feel very heavy) and then moves to upper chest, then her back. It's more than excruciating. So is this just T/X side effects?? Or the toll of round three finally catching up to her since the first two rounds were relatively easy?? Or too high a T/X dosage??
Or is this pain related to the chemical pleurodesis of seven months ago (10/2008) that may still be healing(scar tissue)?.
Mom was also recently prescribed antibiotics (Sandoz/Azithromycin) for inflammation on the left lung as per an Xray that her Onc says is pneumonia. I wonder if this too is connected to that Big Pain??
I and my siblings are really pained by these latest developments. We continue to pray that T/X will work unlike her previous herceptin/Navelbine round.
BTW mom has a second opinion scheduled for next week.
I'll have an update on the ER visit soon.
Thanks for reading,
ellz
ellzmom is offline   Reply With Quote