HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
ismary

Her 2 Positive

Hi everyone: I am glad I found you. My mother just had a mastectomy (Stage 1, neg nodes, negative hormone receptors, but her2 positive). Her oncologist is opting for no chemo but we are not sure of what to do.
After reading about her2 positive, findings give me an impression that it needs to be under control or recurrence is going to occur. Is this true? Is having the her2 positive gene make you more susceptible for reccurence?
Does anyone know what are the statistics of a recurrence due to this her2 positive gene?
I think she may be eligible for HERCEPTIN. I am scared. My mother is everything I have and I don't want to lose her. Can Anyone help me?

God bless you all and may God provide peace and healing to all you wonderful women.
ismary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
jessica

Adjuvant Herceptin - HERA trial

Ismary~
Sorry you've had to join us here, but you'll find lots & lots of great advice & wisdom from this group. You're right, Her2+ tumors are typically more aggressive & insidious w/a higher incidence of recurrence & metastases. Naturally, you want to do everything to keep your mom in good health & this disease at bay.
If you do a search for Adjuvant Herceptin, you'll find many helpful articles citing the HERA trial
"...preliminary data from the HERA trial, suggest that adjuvant trastuzumab can markedly decrease the risk of recurrence for patients with HER2-positive early-stage breast cancer."
"...demonstrated a 52% reduction in risk of breast cancer recurrence as well as a 33% survival benefit with adjuvant trastuzumab therapy..."
(attached is the link to the entire article)
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/506111

I think it's definitely worth another conversation with your mom's onc.
However, what does your mom want to do?
Ultimately it is her decision, but w/your guidance & support & advocacy, she'll feel more comfortable that she's so well informed & supported.

Best of luck to you both.
Keep us posted!
Keep the Faith~
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Grace

Dear Ismary,

Just today an article came across my computer discussing recurrence in HER2 positive versus HER2 negative cancers. Unfortunately, it's true that women with node negative cancers that are HER2 positive have more recurrences than women with node negative cancers that are not HER2 positive. Nonetheless, far more women don't have recurrences than do. In addition, this study was done before herceptin was a standard treatment for node negative women who are HER2 positive.

I am node negative Stage 1A and my oncologist did recommend chemotherapy, but then some tumor board members at the same clinic thought it was overkill. It's really your mother's decision, with the help of her family. I decided on chemotherapy based on my pathology, and elevated tumor markers.

It's a difficult decision but you have a great research site here. Whatever she decides, the support of family and friends is primary. My best wishes to her and to you.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Melinda

Chemo or not that is the question

Ismary,
I too have similar pathology. (NO Mast) My ONC stated that if I was 20 yrs older ( I am 54) he would not suggest chemo but would consider Herceptin only. If I was 20 yrs younger he would be adamant about it. So here I sit on the middle of the fence. I opted to fight this with the big gun. Grace summed it up its a decision that only your Mom can make. I even went so far as to have an ONCO test to see how over amplified I was and again it was the middle of the road score of 23. What test did your Mom have IHC or Fish? There area so many well informed sisters on this board! I am a relative newbie just going down this path. I opted for the chemo and this morning will be getting my second treatment. I am sure the others have statistics re: reoccurence etc. This board is one of a kind... easy to use not to mention everyone embrasses you with love and support. I hope even your Mom will post if just for those reasons, as well as you for the same and to help with questions in helping her to decide. The more you know the more empowered you are. THere is so much to digest, its great that she has you to help. There is nothing like the love between Mother and daughter.
Keep the faith
Melinda
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Hopeful

Ismary,

The real controversy over Herceptin treatment for stage 1 bc seems to be with hormone positive patients with tumors under 1 cm. Since your mom is hormone negative, she is more likely to be reccomended for Herceptin. From what I understand, the major cancer centers will only offer Herceptin if the patient has chemotherapy, however, there appear to be a number of oncologists in private practice who will administer Herceptin without chemo (my onc is one of them). I suggest that your mom get more than one opinion on her proposed treatment (get two, three or as many as you need to feel comfortable). Talking with doctors who have different perspectives can help her and you find a treatment plan that is right for her. Best of luck to you both, however you decide.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
suzan w

As you can see by my 'signature' I chose chemo. My oncologist and I discussed the perecentages, etc. and I also had the OncotypeDX test done. Since then, it seems like the general feeling is that all Her2 cancers score relatively high on the Oncotype...I chose to treat myself as agressively as possible! And I also went with my "second opinion" team~
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote