HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
schoolteacher

Smile Test next week

Next week I have a brain MRI on Monday, and I meet with the surgeon after this. Thursday I have a PET scan to see how the chemo has affected my tumors and the place in my back. I will also take my Herceptin treatment that morning also. If any of you think I should wait until later in the day to take the Herceptin please respond and let me know. This is my first brain MRI, so I am a little nervous. The doctor says, "He doesn't believe it is in my brain, he just wants to make sure."

The doctor told me to take something before I go to do the MRI, and from reading information on this board I think that is a good idea also. I am anxious to see the results of my PET scan to see if the levels have gone down. My tumors are softer and smaller, so I am hoping the levels are lower. He did tell me that I will need additional chemo after my mastectomy. He said, "If I want to do taxotere it would be fine. I wanted to do the radiation with the chemo, but after corresponding with Jean I do not think that is going to be possible.

I told Jean that my chemo has gotten easier every time. I have had four Taxol/Herceptin since February 14 and I can really tell a difference in the tumors now. There is one stuborn tumor located in the middle of my breast, and I am hoping this fourth treatment will help it shrink some more. I have asked him to let me take one or two more Taxol/Herceptin treatments prior to the surgergy. He said, "He might let me take one more." I believe the Herceptin is what caused the tumors to go down. I did develop skin nodes after taking two AC treatments, the nodes are gone and all that remains are faint red places. He plans on giving me Herceptin right until my surgery. What do all of you think about this?

I asked him about the Her2 serum test, and he acted like he did not know anything about it. I told him that I knew the oncologist's office located on the lst floor did it because one of the women on the Herceptin board had had it, Kate. I did not tell him her name. I have had eight treatments so far. Should I ask him to perform the test now or wait?

I hope all of you will keep me in your prayers next week. All of you do not realize the strenght that I receive reading your post every day.

Some of the teachers I work with told me in a meeting last week that they knew the oncologist knew that I would be coming in with more articles, and I took two new articles that had been posted this week, Thursday, when I visited him about TyKerb and the fasting. You ladies that do the research I really do appreciate it. I really do like have the latest news results posted on this board also. Joe I know you and Chrisine had something do do with this, so thanks a lot.

God Bless all of You.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Beckynotathome

Hi - It's Becky but I'm not home and don't want to log in.

I just wanted to let you know that its fine to take Herceptin right up to your surgery and continue right back on time when surgery is done. I did when I got my ovaries removed and many women did here during masectomy or reconstruction.

Peace
Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
newgg

HER2 Test

Hey there,
About that HER3 serum test. My onc nor his lab nor his group had not done it before about a year ago and that was because ......just little old me....... wanted it. Took the printed info to him and the lab director ( info from this board....THANKS JOE and CHRISTINE and ALL !) and have been having it done every 2 to 3 months for the last year. Know what is a hoot? My numbers held steady and then had been on the increase...both the HER2 and the Ca 27. Did all the PET/CT, bone scan, MRI the brain and all was fine. Then the dang HER2 dropped by half...go figure. But the comment by the doc was priceless....." that HER2 is probably the more accurate". I just smiled !!! Get it done for your info and have that base line .....but also realize that these markers can bounce up and down.
I agree about the gals and guys and supporters here and THANKS to every one for your time and research.....gives me the info and support and giggles thatI need. Do not post often but lurk daily .....I do love this group! BIG group HUGS for all and Prayers for all the Warriors !!
Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Jackie07

Hi Schoolteacher,

The new MRI machine in my hospital now has a tiny mirror above the patient's head and I could see the part of the room in font of me. That should ease any worries of being claustrophobic and I suppose all the MRI machine is the same way.

I've had numerous MRIs (close to 20?) since 1990 when I was first diagnosed with a brain tumor. But I still have to be careful about my breathing - I tend to hyperventilate easily in a confined space. And the machine is very, very loud when scanning.

If the staff sees anything suspicious, they will try to do another scan with a contrast material which needs to be injected to your vein or through your port. If you prefer to use the port you will need to have your port 'opened' first (by the staff in the chemo room)

Just be prepared for the very, very loud noise when the machine is doing the 'imaging'. Don't hesitate to 'talk' (there is a microphone inside of the tube) to the MRI staff. I always ask them to give me extra blankets since the place always felt very, very cold to me.

Hope all goes well next week. You've got a busy schedule there.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Mary Jo

Hi Amelia,

Just wanted to say that my prayers are with you as you get ready for your brain MRI and your pet scan. I know how stressful tests and waiting for results can be. So I ask God to comfort you and give you His peace as you wait.

Love to you Amelia..........

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06