HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Lisa

Hate to have to inquire, but have any of you had an ongoing case of diarrhea with treatment. I'm on weekly Taxol and have been for weeks. Every 3 weeks we throw in Herceptin, and every 4 we toss in Zometa for good measure.

For three weeks now, I have several days of diarrhea. Thought it was a virus, but not so sure now. This week it's really bad. I'll spare you the details...

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Pam P

I do know someone who had severe diarrhea on taxol. I can't remember, but I think her dose was reduced, then it got better. Sorry I don't know if she stayed on the lower dose or if it was increased again when her body got back in balance.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
judiek

Hi Lisa,

I have been on weekly taxol for 14 months and no diarrhea for me...maybe occasional if I eat something real rich...mention it to the doctor and see what they say...I do believe this is a side effect...good luck

warmly,

judiek
Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
al from canada

Lisa,
Are you taking any narcotic pain killers? The reason I ask is because they constipate but you can also have alternating bouts of (what you have). Linda has that problem as well and for a while I thought it may be herceptin.
Al
Old 03-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Rozebud

I had it while on taxotere. Imodium was my friend.....
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
madubois63

Two days every week because of the Taxatiere!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
StephN

Hi Lisa -
I also had some trouble with loose stool, but not the runny stuff, with Taxotere. Taxol was weekly with navelbine AND Herceptin, but this was not much of a problem for me for all those months.
Thankfully Taxotere was a shorter course since it was prior to my mets. But it was the 3-week dose, so hit me pretty hard each time - very flu-like symptoms.
Hope this too shall "pass."
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Lisa in OH

Hi Lisa, I had the same problems with Taxol. They reduced my dose from 100 mg. to 70 mg. weekly with Herceptin and Carboplatin. That did help. I am going to start the new drug called Abraxane since I've had 2 recurrences in 2 1/2 years. They are hoping the Abraxane will be better for me with the side effects. I took 2 Immodium as soon as it started and 1 every 2 hours if needed.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #9

Lisa,
You need to take this diarrhea seriously. I had it on xeloda and the nurse told me to double the amount of imodium that the box calls for. I ended up in the hospital for 11 days, 4 of them in ICU. You easly become dehydrated and it takes a lot to get your gut straighten back out. They gave me three shots in the morning and three shots in the evening, in my stomach. And some kind of pills. Even after I came home from the hospital it was over a month before my stools returned to normal. My dr. said it was chemo related. Patty H