HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > General Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

General Cancer News Latest Breast Cancer News from Moreover Technologies

Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
News

Women who had chemotherapy less likely to be employed 4 years later

Nearly one-third of breast cancer survivors who were working when they began treatment were unemployed four years later. Women who received chemotherapy were most affected, according to a new study from the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Hopeful

Re: Women who had chemotherapy less likely to be employed 4 years later

Quote:
"Many doctors believe that even though patients may miss work during treatment, they will 'bounce back' in the longer term. The results of this study suggest otherwise. Loss of employment is a possible long-term negative consequence of chemotherapy that may not have been fully appreciated to date," says lead study author Reshma Jagsi, M.D., D.Phil., associate professor of radiation oncology at the University of Michigan Medical School.
The corollary to loss of employment, not mentioned here, is usually loss of health insurance. It is a high price to pay for a treatment that is largely administered for "risk management" rather than curative purposes.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Hopeful,

I agree. I am the poster child for working during treatment. Then being "laid off" twice in the few years following treatment. I am very grateful my health insurance was not affected by my employment.

I've voiced many times that I wanted to do fewer chemo treatments but the oncologist switched taxanes and insisted I do 6 treatments. If I had truly understood the small incremental benefit as a group from doing 6 treatments vs 4 I would have stood my ground. I remember the appointment with the oncologist where she told me that the plan had changed to include 2 more treatments. She used fear to win the battle, and after several chemo treatments I wasn't strong enough to draw the line.

I will forever regret the decision. I truly believed it affected my job performance in the years after chemo, and still today.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Hopeful

'lizbeth,

Believe me, this was a big part of my decision making process. I had changed jobs 6 months prior to dx, having been laid off from my previous position, and doggone fortunate to get the job I did. At the time of dx, I had not worked there long enough to qualify for FMLA. My research led me to believe that I would not benefit enough from chemo to risk my employment (and my ability to make the mortgage and car payments) and my health insurance, so I declined it. I was lucky to have an oncologist that agreed to treat me with Herceptin w/o chemo. The Herceptin treatments were very doable and did not interfere with my working at all. Doctors need to get their heads out of the sand, and realize what the true cost of all of this "preventative" treatment is to the overall lives of the women who undergo it. Not all treatment choices can be made based strictly on medicine, and the most conservative possible medical treatment is not always the "right" choice for any given patient.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

Also especially true for those who are self-employed, and there are many of us. Sole proprietors often have NO "sick leave" to handle the time commitments involved with all the lab testing and doctor appointments and feeling crappy, and frequently have very limited health care coverage of any kind. It can destroy their ability to keep contracts they have worked so hard to get, and leave them high and dry.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Lnmum

Unhappy Re: Women who had chemotherapy less likely to be employed 4 years later

I have just had 7/12 Taxol/Herceptin treatments. I have observed a significant decline in my cognitive skills since my last treatment. It terrifies me that I won't regain my processing skills/STM.
I was offered a prn speech therapy position, but now I am concerned that I won't be able to perform that position effectively.

I found out I tested positive for BRCA2 two weeks ago. I am questioning my entire chemo regimen. I'm having bilateral mastectomies as a result of the positive BRCA2. I'm also having a complete hysterectomy. I was stage 1c,IDC 1.3cc ER+ 98%/PR+ 2%/HER+++. Body scan revealed a lung nodule. The doctor said no worries (but I am). Bilateral mammograms after partial mastectomy were clear. No radiation recommended by breast surgeon. He says no need since we are no longer interested in breast conservation.

I'm reaching out for advice and hopefully some encouragement. I know there are others on this board who have been in my shoes (or some that look awfully similar) Thanks!
Loren
Lnmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
'lizbeth

Loren,

Hello, and sorry for the diagnosis. I'm not familiar with a treatment plan that include 12 infusions of Taxol. There was a study that showed 4 treatments were equal to 6 of Taxol.

I did battle with my oncologist, and lost with the Taxanes. She didn't feel as a patient that I would be able to grasp the significance of my treatment options and switched taxanes. I found out after receiving my pre-treatment medications in the infusion room. I do remember that one taxane was infused at a quantity of 75mg per meters squared. So not only is the question the number of treatments, but the amount received.

Are you absolutely sure it is 12 treatments of Taxol, or was it 6 treatments with 12 months of Herceptin every 3 weeks?

Some of my worst experiences with the effects of chemo was the cognitive damage associated with speech. Perhaps God has a bigger plan for you, as this is an area that many cancer survivors could use some help with in both recovery & prevention of damage. Word recall and short term memory takes a hit. Part of it seems the emotional stress, most is physical. I suspect acetylcholine and dopamine are affected along with slight physical changes in the brain and nervous system.

Having the BRCA2 means making tough choices. My friend just passed from stage IV ovarian cancer. My observation from my friends's experience is that she opted out of mainstream medicine when she should have tried traditional chemo treatments. She did enroll in a PARP inhibitor study and had spectacular initial response followed by a rapid worsening of the spread of the cancer. She was highly ER+ and was not pursuing treatment for this aspect of her cancer - even though testing at Rational Therapeutics showed it was important.

I would be more concerned about the ER+98% then the radiation. Since you have had so many treatments of chemotherapy I would suspect you have plenty of time to research radiation therapy. Look for clinical trial options, although at your stage of treatment they might not exist. Platinum salt treatments have been shown effective with BRCA positive cancers, not needed now - but tuck the thought away that you have additional tools in the tool box if necessary.

I think your surgery choices are prudent with the BRCA positive results.

I didn't realize how effected I would be physically by treatment. I tried to follow my normal life. I had just started a new job and managers thought I was stupid and difficult. Well - i was in chemo. It took every effort to make it to the standards set for the job. It was so stressful. 15 months later they let 200 of fellow employers go in layoffs, and I was relieved. The next job was brutal. I taught but I could not remember anything. I studied hours for each lesson and had to relearn things that I should know. It was rough. I had an opportunity to go to school and that gave me a break from work for 2 1/2 years. I've been working for 6 months now. It was traumatic in the beginning. Some of my coworkers were from hell. They treated me like I was stupid, and much of it was memory/cognitive processing speed and lack of confidence. I now feel I know what I am doing and what I can do - which is much greater then 6 months ago.

I take supplements: Lecithin and DMAE, and on occasion L-tyrosine. I am not ER+ and don't worry about the effects of soy from the Lecithin. But these help me significantly.

Another huge help was physical therapy, and a little music therapy from a talented doctor. 60 two hour visits of resistance training and treadmill had amazing results. It was brutal and exhausting in the beginning but I was to pre-cancer levels of health when Dr. Joe finished working with me.

I rambled a bit - if you have questions email me at tsio520@aol.com

Warm regards,

'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote