HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Carolyns

Debbie Wasserman Schultz - US Rep. Reveals battle w/ bc

Please read - Attached is a link to the story from today's Miami Herald newspaper where US Representative from Florida (Broward County - Ft. Lauderdale area) reveals:

"WASHINGTON -- When Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz steps to the lectern at the Capitol on Monday to push for greater awareness of breast cancer risks in younger women, she'll be speaking from experience.

The Broward County Democrat and mother of three told The Miami Herald on Saturday that she successfully battled breast cancer for the past year and is going public with her story in the hope of alerting young women to its prevalence. She'll introduce legislation Monday that calls for a national education campaign targeting women between 15 and 39.

'I wanted to be able to not just stand up and say, `I'm a breast cancer survivor.' . . . I wanted to find a gap and try to fill it,'' said Wasserman Schultz, 42."

Read the full article below is the link:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...ry/961946.html

She will be on Good Morning America with Robin Roberts tomorrow morning - Monday.

I myself was diagnosed 20 years ago at age 33 with breast cancer. I was diagnosed again at 43 in the other breast and then at 50 with mets. I never really spoke about it with anyone other than close friends and family until the mets diagnosis 3 years ago.

I really feel that there has been an increase in the number of young women with bc. Twenty years ago I could only find one other woman my age with breast cancer and now my breast cancer center seems to have 50% that fit in this category.

I have always been impressed by Rep. Wasserman Schultz's effort on behalf the people she represents and on women's issues. I am very sorry that Debbie had to join this awful club of women with breast cancer. It saddens me even more because her story hits so close to home for me. I don't feel that any person should have to experience cancer. That said, I feel confident that she will be an even more effective and passionate advocate on behalf of finding the cure. We are very close and the battle can be won. I hope that Debbie has won her own personal battle with breast cancer and that she goes on to be a strong voice to defeat this beast for all of us.

Best wishes to Debbie and her friends and family.
Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote