HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Pat94

Question about AIs

I am 65 and have been in complete menopause 21 years. I have had both hips replaced previously due to bone deteriation.

My tumor discovered in Jan, 2013 was ER/PR negative & HER2+++, no lymph node involvement. Recurrence in Spring, 2014 found more than 20 positive lymph nodes, ER 5%, PR still negative, and still HER2+++. In addition to the surgery, I had 44 radiation treatments followed by TCH. I had severe side effects from the TC including blood clots. The 5th TC was reduced & the 6th had to be cancelled because they were worried I would die from SEs &/or have permanently, severely damaged vision. I finished the year of Herceptin at the end of May.

Now they have announced they want me on an AI, Letrozole. I know that AIs are most effective with high ER values and are of no or minimal value at low levels. I have been left with so many SEs from TCH I am not sure how much more battering I want my body to endure . Are there any studies showing the effectiveness of AIs on low level ER? I asked and was told my case is so "unique" that no studies fit my profile. They think I should try it & quit if I have any SEs. I haven't had a bone density scan yet but it is scheduled.

Thanks for knowledge, experience, and advice.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: Question about AIs

Pat, I don't have any information to answer your (excellent) specific question about benefit from endocrine tx for very-low ER+ cancers. And as your providers say, I doubt we really know.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion at this time? Not just a consult but also a second opinion pathology review to confirm (or not) the actual ER status of the recurrence? You would want to do this, if possible, at an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Sometimes, you can just send your tissue blocks and do the rest (discussion) remotely. I did this with mine, sending them to Baylor where they did the Allred score (see signature). If you google "Allred Score", you'll can get information on that, and about its ability to sort out the "low" ER+ categories into clearly ER+ or ER-. Interestingly much of the research seems to be from India/Pakistan, although the test was developed by Craig Allred when he was at Baylor. Another thought might be to do an Oncotype DX and see what it thinks about the ER?

If you tried the AI and found it too troublesome to continue, it does seem that most of the SEs (except bone density decreases) are reversible upon stopping. I'm not certain, but I think issues are like deteriorating hips and knees are separate from osteoporosis issues (but of course, both can happen).

Good luck, and keep us posted about what you do, and what you decide, ok?

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
michka

Hi Pat. I am sorry you had to suffer through bad SEs. I am surprised they are suggesting AIs with 5% ER and bone deterioration. AIs can generate SEs so I would ask for a second opinion.

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Mtngrl

Hi Pat,

I was on an AI for five months three years ago, after I completed Taxol/Abraxane.

I was initially thought to be 10% ER+, but a later analysis of my lung mets said they are ER/PR-. Nevertheless, for no known reason, the question of AIs was raised again recently (though not by me.) The idea was discarded.

I had my most significant progression while on Herceptin and Arimidex. When I was diagnosed I was less than two years out from menopause. I didn't have really severe side effects, but the ones I had I didn't like (though, to be honest, I no longer remember what they were.) I'm back to feeling "normal," or as normal as a "heavily treated" metastatic breast cancer patient can be (which is actually pretty normal, believe it or not.)

I think Debbie's suggestions are good ones.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Becky

Debbie said exactly what I was going to say. I had my tumor sent to Sloan Kettering and sure enough, the results were different than that of the local hospital. Not drastically different but different. Alittle higher grade and less hormone positive than in my signature (30% ER + versus 50% ER positive) I did go on an AI because at that time, I was in my early 40'S, got my ovaries removed to do so. I had kids at home still and wanted to give it my best shot. There are some interesting studies about us gals who are less than 50% ER positive but PR negative. The bottom line of theses studies is that it is believed that most of us are negative generally or rather our tumors behave as being negative. Some women with lets say, 90% ER+, probably have tumors that are but believe it or not, some of those women have tumors that behave as if they are negative.

Have a big well know cancer center analyze your tumor and see what they say the pathology is. Otherwise you could trial an AI and see how you do. We are here for you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote