HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Lauriemn

Tests for bone mets

I have been having a pain in my back for a couple of weeks. I had a bone scan 3 months ago for hip pain which came back clear. I would like to have a ct or pet scan, which I haven't had in a long time. Would either one of those tests show bone mets, so I could rule out the back pain, or is bone scan the only test that could do that? Thanks, Laurie
Lauriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Cathya

I don't know about the tests as I thought a bone scan was the one for this. I understood that PET and MRI type scans were for soft tissue but really don't know. What I wondered was if you could have some sort of arthritis in your back. When I had a bone scan one time the oncologist showed me white in my lower back and said that I had the beginning of osteoarthritis. I had no idea but used to get severe back aches years ago and had learned to sit upright, etc. to avoid the pain. He said that some people who have arthritic conditions have lots of pain and some very little. Have you asked your doctor whether you could have a pre-existing condition like this?

Best regards,

Cathya
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
Esther

I believe that a bone scan can't differentiate between bone mets and healing scar tissue, or sometimes even old injuries.

A pt/ct scan can pinpoint whether the area in question lights up.

However if the bone scan isn't picking anything up, there may be no mets to pick up. In my case the scan picked up things that were later ruled to be healed mets or old injuries via a pet/ct scan.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
HavahJ

bone scan

A pet scan is better than a bone scan, an mri might be better too.
I had a bone met that didn't show up one a bone scan or ct but showed clearly on a PET. HavahJ
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Patty H

I had a pet scan which light up on my spine. From there we did a MRI and it showed a little more. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will ask my onc for a pet scan.

Laurie
Old 02-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Unregistered

To Lauriemn: Where is your back pain?

Hi Laurie,

Where are you feeling your pain and on what scale is it (0-10)? Does it feel like a pulled muscle or something else? Perhaps an MRI with and without contrast would be a good first test and then move on to a pet or ct. Wishing you healing.