HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #41
Chelee

Re: Cancer is back...I just knew it.

I saw my onc today and she was throwing so much at me I couldn't take it all in. (She knew I was upset with her for denying me scans 6 months ago when I was complaining of pain.) Now she is pretending like she cares & wants to get going on everything right now! I'm not impressed. Now I have what seems like a million appts & so many things to do in such a short time. I am so overwhelmed that I feel stuck if that makes sense. I've broke down & cried in front of her which I did not want to do...my emotions got the best of me.

She said I could get started this Monday on Herceptin & Zometa for my bones. She also said I could do TCH again...or Herceptin & Navelbine. (sp) She also started naming off Tykerb & other drugs...she didn't think I knew about them all. I've told her I live on the Her2 board...she doesn't listen.

I mentioned one tooth that is bothering me so I'm suppose to see a dentist asap and possible have a tooth extracted. (Which means how could I start Zometa if my tooth gets pulled?) They have an ECHO set up for me this Saturday and I had x-rays today of my hip & femur bone. I also demanded a brain MRI asap...so that's set up for this wk too. First Herceptin infusion will be Monday until I decided what chemo to take with it? (Any help in that area I would appreciate from my Her2 sisters.) I have labs to do and then a port accessment. I have no clue where or how they will place a port this time...it worries me. Herceptin infusion Monday will have to be done one time without a port. I hate the thought of no port...I have no veins left. Oh boy am I stressed out. I don't know how I'm going to get all this stuff done. So many appts in such a short amount of time. I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted already and I haven't even started.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.

Last edited by Chelee; 09-22-2009 at 11:07 PM..
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #42
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE

Chelee, I am blown as far away with this news as you. I want you to know that you will be in my non-stop thoughts. I am sending love and hugs to you. Keep the chin as high up as you can and let us carry you the rest of the way. I am deeply saddened and that much more angry at this disease. Fight Chelee, we will walk besides you Lovey!!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #43
nitewind

Dear Chelee, you sweet lady, you sound so overwhelmed. I was so sorry to read about your news and that you had to face this visit on your own. I know it doesn't help much but just remember we are all with you in spirit. Wish I was close to you, I would gladly be your partner in this new venture.
I know what you mean about not having a port, my veins are gone too. Don't worry, they'll find a place to put it and won't have to bother those poor veins.
We all love you very much and are with you. Please keep us updated.
Hugs to you
Susan
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #44
Sandra in GA

Dear Chelee,
Just wanted you to know that you are also in my prayers. The crazy quote below, in my signature, came from a get well card that I received last September when I was early in this battle. For some reason, whenever I was especiually low, this is the one I would dig out and reread. The message for me was, "If you are going through hell, you cannot stop and get stuck. You have to keep going to get out!" So, my prayer for you is that you dig deep, pull up that grit you have, and keep going until you are once again out of this situation.
Lots of Hugs,
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #45
MJo

There's nothing I can add to the great information and encouragement you have gotten here, except that I am pulling for you, too. And I love the Winston Churchill quote. Keep going, Chelee!!

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #46
'lizbeth

Chelee,

This is just terrible news. I know that feeling of being overwhelmed. I was just crying on my husband's shoulder this morning about always being up in the air about my lawsuit, trying to get into a clinical trial, coordinating with work, finding more work, you name it.

When I think about what you are faced with suddenly all my problems seems very small. My biggest difficulty is asking for help when I need it.

We are all here for you. You just keep posting and surely we can help you divide and conquer.

Wishing you the best and a quick victory over your cancer.

Love,

'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #47
tricia keegan

Chelee,

I only just saw your thread and am so sorry you were right about the recurrance.
You came through this before and will do so again I know once the initial shock wears off and please know we are all here for you.
/(((hugs))))
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #48
janieR

Chelee,

Initial shock is awful , just so awful but as tricia says we are all in this together and here for each other.

Thinking of you

Love

Janie
janieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #49
Ruth

Dear Chelee,
How I hate to read this. You were absolutely right in your worries, they say we do know our own bodies and you had a bad feeling. I am so sorry honey. No excuse for hubby. He should have dropped EVERYTHING and went with you. Maybe shock and didn't know what to do hit him but he better do some serious thinking about his choices. I hope you can get your second opinion and get some options going. Everyone here will help you along the way.
Lots of hugs and love
Ruth
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #50
Sherryg683

Chelee, Im so sorry this has happened and you have to go back into this hell called treatment. And yes, your husband was a jerk..as most men can be. When I got my diagnosis, the same night, my husband sat by the TV and cheered and whooped on at a football game. He said he was trying to get his mind off it. Your husband is probably very upset and is trying to distant himself until he collects his thoughts.....or he's just being a selfish jerk. Men react to fear so much differently than women. When we seem someone sick or hurting our nature is to nurture. I think men feel if they ignore the problem it will go away. There have been some great men on this board however, so I can't lump them into one group. Please get yourself a good medical team and demand to your husband that he step up to the plate this time...luv..sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #51
Chelee

My head has been spinning since being told my cancer is back yesterday. Then being rushed off for x-rays...being given appt. dates for ECHO's, infusion dates, dentist visits, labs, port placement, brain MRI and the list goes on as I DON'T have to tell any one of you.

I haven't even had time to really deal with how I feel about any of this. My husband finally said today he will take me any where I have to go...he will use FMLA or whatever it takes. He told me not to worry about it. I was shocked to hear him say that. But I'll see what happens when it all starts up. He was so angry last time I went through this & took it out on me often. It was so hard on me. Like I didn't feel bad enough.

After hearing that and coming here and finding all the replies and support from you all I can't quit crying. But that's what I needed to do. I serisouly DO need you guys right now because I have no one to help me. You would think this would be easier the 2nd time around...but so far that doesn't seem to be the case for me. I've been on the phone all day scheduling all these appts...right now it just seems like too much. One minute I feel like I can do this...then I'm not sure. But I remember the 1st time once I got my first infusion out of the way it got easier it seems. So I'll be ok...but I really will need some help here to get through this. So thanks to all of you for the PM's, prayers, messages of support. I'm over whelmed by it. I'll get my crying out of the way to day and put my boxing gloves back on. There laying around here some where.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #52
WolverineFan

Chelee.

I am so sorry to hear the news. Please know you have tons of people on this board here for you. We are ALL here to cheer you on and help you fight this. You can do this!!!

As for a second and third opinion, I believe it is a must! I requested annually since I was 35 to have a mammogram because of extensive cancer in my family. I was always declined approval from my dx because there was no breast cancer in my family. My dad had prostate cancer, but he was 62 so dx thought it was safe to wait until I was 40 for mam. I was diagnosed earlier this year at the age of 39. Follow your gut. It not only gives you some sense of control in this time, but hopefully you will find a great, compassionate, cutting edge onc in the process.

Hang in there, Sweetie. We're all pulling for you!!

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #53
DianneS

Chelee,

I know this is overwhelming right now. One step at a time. We are all here for you, sweetie. I'm glad you let your onc know you're ticked off! Maybe keep her on her toes from now on. You WILL get through this. I had all my chemo and herceptins without a port....perhaps they can find a vein without putting in a port? Can you use either arm?

Just a suggestion, but I make up lists for my docs so I don't forget anything. With all the tests you will be having it relieves your mind from having to remember every detail.

Sending the best vibes to you!
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #54
Jean

Sweet Chelee,
I have no words to say about your dr. I am not going there with her. First of all and most important you allow yourself to feel what you feel. Of course it is over the top - and I doubt it gets easier anytime.

I think it is very wise to start the herceptin. Next before you jump into any further treatment I would get a 2nd opinion....while Dr. Slamon may not be taking new patients he certainly would consult. Give his office a call up at UCLA...That alone will give you a strong footing once again as you gear up to fight back.

It goes without saying how sorry I am that this has happened to you...and I am angry!
Love you,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #55
Bill

Chelee, I'm sorry to hear this news. I hope and pray that you may have someone to help you and be there with you, and for you, as you go through this rough time.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #56
BonnieR

You mentioned Dr Link. For what it is worth, I have a friend who swears that he saved her daughter's life. She felt like he thinks outside the box...
ETA: Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #57
Shobha

Chelee,

I am deeply sorry to hear your news. I am praying very hard that God will light your path and bless you with strength to carry on forward as you did in the past and win this battle again!

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #58
sarah

Chelee this is very sad and I know how depressing this news is. I took the 1st time around very calmly but the recurrence hit me like a ton of bricks and I couldn't stop crying but it did pass.
When you can calmly think about it, you'll remember just how many people on this site there are who have had many recurrences but have survived.
There are so many treatments coming up every year, one of them (at least) will work for you.
I totally understand your despair but eventually you will come to see that you're going to live. Cancer's a chronic disease and has to be treated that way. After you get through this horrible despair and anger, you will have to learn how to live again and realize that you are going to live and have fun again.
Hug your husband and let him hug you.
You are not alone.
BIG HUG, many hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #59
Laurieanne

Hello Chelee,
Just want you to know I am praying for you at this difficult time. You we're the first to respond to me when I was diagnosed last year. You helped me so much. I wish I could do more.
Love, Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #60
freyja

Chelee,
I've been thinking about you constantly and the last couple days and now finally have time to sit and write. We are all shocked and angry and scared right along with you. We are also strong, and determined and optimistic with you, too. You are not alone. You're also not the only one who had issues with her husband during treatment. I know exactly what you're talking about. My husband seemed to turn into a zombie when I was diagnosed. He was completely absent to me, and I had to deal with everything myself, or call my mom in to come stay with me during the hardest parts. He also had anger issues and I was shocked that he could get so angry with me for so many tiny little things that weren't even my fault, while I was going through so much. It doesn't make any sense. At times I thought my marriage was doomed and if I had been in the position to be ABLE to leave I probably would have. Now that I'm not in treatment any more he has come out of his fog and has admitted that he completely couldn't deal with it and was useless through the process, so hopefully he learned something about himself and can react much better in future crisis...we shall see. Men are not actually made of steel, are they?

The really important thing is communication. If he's not doing what you need, tell him. He really can't know what you want him to do unless you communicate clearly, and the other most important thing is that you both agree to try to not take anything personally. Emotions are amplified now, and that makes communication harder because feelings are easily hurt. You're joining forces against a common enemy now, so being angry at each other only weakens our defenses.

Forget one day at a time, just take things one moment at a time. Keep a notebook and calendar with you at all times so you can write down EVERYTHING so you won't forget, and a tote bag or backpack with all your medical records and forms you need, snacks and a book or craft project. That way you don't have to scramble every time you're headed to another appointment, and you'll have something comforting with you when you need it.

If your husband doesn't have the energy to be there for you sometimes, call your family and friends. They don't know what to do either so they need you to tell them.

Take a lot of very deep slow breaths. Slooooow dooooown. It's hard to think clearly if you're thinking about everything at once. Start at the top of your list and tackle one thing at a time.

It all seems simple but those are the things that have helped me the most, and it's easy to forget simple things when faced with so much complicated things.

My love to you Chelee. Your instincts are strong. Trust yourself and you'll do fine. You're doing everything right. Go ahead, cry...I'll do it to. Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote