HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #81
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink With All The Love Within My Soul

HEY VAL-- YOU'RE AN AMAZING GAL! Brenda, you rock. Flori and Kate -- I am standing by your side!

Love your Spirit. Love your LIST! When everything seems to be out of control (our *life* and our bodies) -- what we CAN control is our response to this horrid reality. I chose, as you, to be strong, brave and determined. To live with joy and serenity (knowing I was calling my desired destiny to me with my chosen attitude and my BELIEF). I wasn't to give up a single day to feeling sad or defeated!

From Day 2 -- I would give clear instructions to my body to HEAL, my hand over my malignant breast, sending focused energy specifically to the target area, full of love and intention, to assist all surgery and treatment to eradicate the villian.

When I was first dx, in July '95, Christopher Reeve had just suffered his terrible, paralyzing accident. He could not walk, feed himself, bathe himself, go to the bathroom himself or even breathe on his own. I IMMEDIATELY FELT *LUCKY*. Truly. (My mom was in a nursing home in much the same shape as Chris, w/the addl burden of not knowing who she was or who I was.) I totally felt -- 4th stage bc is scary beyond belief, but I am blessed. It could have been so much worse. I still feel this way.

If one person as survived the kind of met bc I have -- I can survive. YOU can survive. I cleave to that Knowing w/ea beautiful day I wake up alive.

My relationships, w/my husband, my daughters, my friends, my sister have become more deeply appreciated and enhanced by the reality of my battle w/cancer and mortality. Nothing is taken for granted. The truest of friends rose to the top. And even people I thought wouldn't even remember me, and total strangers, have shown such compassion and love, it never fails to blow me away. I get more hugs and I love yous than ever before. And I give more as well! I am more open. More understanding. More nurturing. More giving of myself. More awed by Life than ever before.

These people look like they're in pain, aware of my situation, and I smile gently and inform them that it could be so much worse and I have every Expectation of Surviving! After all these years, they are starting to believe me, and expect me to report back with STABLE after my scans and such. (I wanted to appease them, and I hungrily wanted their POSITIVE energy to go out into the Universe in my behalf.) We are all working (with the power of our thoughts and the power of our love) to boost the effects of the miraculous Vitamin H to keep me alive.

I thank God every day for the opportunity to fight for my life. VAL, you wondrous Spirit you -- your succinct words are treasures! I related to each and every one!!!!! You, and my Soul Sisters on this board, are MY HEROES! You never fail to amaze me with your ability to rally, each of you having fought your way through unimaginable setbacks. I love you all, with all my heart! I applaud you all! I bow to you all! (Women in *normal/civilian* life so often seem superficial, unaware of what a real problem is, or what it takes to get through a day.) LUCKY US. We've gleaned Life Lessons that enrich our experience here on Earth and have made us live with more Grace and resolve than we ever thought possible. We can't recapture the old normal, but if you think about it -- much of what we have gained could not have been achieved in the old normal way. We have grown, expanded our awareness and evolved in to a magnificent new level of consciousness. We've paid a dear price, but -- can't you see how fortunate we are? We've each reached down deep and found an incredible force that keeps us impelled forward and upward. Sending my love and admiration to your wonderful Warrior Women (especially the ones who were recently *re-upped*!). More power to you!
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #82
lilyecuadorian

A Teraphy

it really is for me like a terapy everytime a read your post Andy thank for your time posting and for all the good vibe and wishs for everyone on this group ....it put my spirit and my hope and better level ..
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #83
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation I Have Lived... One Day At A Time...

I have lived through the nausea. The tossing and turning, agitated sickness of it. Was that my voice I heard moaning? Thank God for Zofran. I have lived through the queasiness, to be distinguished from raging nausea. I have lived with the metallic taste. The dead taste buds. The I don't think I can eat any thing, but I'll try. I have to keep my engine fueled. I have to drink eight glasses of water a day. Every day. To keep myself hydrated. To help to flush out the toxins. I don't think I can get eight ounces of water down my throat. But, I'll try. Through the relentless waves of nausea. After the Zofran, I could think. I found the strength then to keep on rallying, determined in my struggle. I had this inexplicable but profound faith in my power to call my desired destiny to me. I kept putting one foot in front of the other. I believed I could activate my ability to self-heal. Through having my mind talk to my body with clear Intention and absolute, resolute Expectation. I kept reminding myself -- every thought is a prayer. Every prayer is a potential miracle. My Spirit could not be touched by the cancer. I would survive.

I have lived through months of feeling like I had the worst flu any one on the planet ever had. The deep throbbing aching in places I hadn't noticed existed in my body and everywhere, from my head to my toes. My legs were like rubber. They couldn't support me. I have lived through that weak-kneed, I think I may pass out, foggy-brained feeling. The cloudy head remains all these years later. I can't remember what *normal* is...

I have leaned on walls, on my husband's arm, against columns I managed to slip beside, the soap dish carved into the wall of the tiled shower, for support. To steady myself. So as not to collapse to the floor in a heap. I have lived through the deep muscle and tendon pain of each arm and leg, unable to find a comfortable place for myself, propping pillows, sitting, lying down, getting from chair to bed and back by impelling myself with my will to live. I tried to be brave. I felt the chills and then got caught in the feverish throes of sickness. I felt clammy and sicker than ever before. I was in a process, inching my way to be cured, thinking of being stable and as close to cured as I could possibly get.

I have lived through fourth stage breast cancer. How many stages are there?, people asked... I have lived through fourth stage metastatic breast cancer. You lost me, they say. What does *metastatic* mean? I have lived through fourth stage metastatic breast cancer. How do you take the chemotherapy? Is it a pill? The ones who did not know I prayed would never have to know. Why should they? Infusions, PET and CT scans, MUGA scans, ECHO cardiograms, port catheters, CMF, TCH, ILC and IDC and DCIS, lymph node involvement, sentinel nodes, Her2+, Decadron, Hemoglobin, creatin and urea bun blood numbers, pathologists, radiologists, stem cell transplants... You gain a whole new vocabulary when you are diagnosed with breast cancer. Your world is turned upside down and inside out. You add oncologists and breast surgeons to your telephone book. I didn't want to put their names there, but I had to. Then came the need for gastro-enterologists and with hot flashes soaring, an endocrinologist, in addition to the gynecologist and the cardiologist. Yesterday I was healthy. This isn't supposed to happen.

I have lived through five hour infusions, tethered to a pole. You can't focus but you bring two books hoping one will grab you. You can't read a paragraph and retain it's message, but you keep trying. When you have to go the bathroom, you take your pole and your infusion bag hanging from it and wheel it along with you. I watched one man who couldn't sit still in the chemo room walking back and forth down the long hallway. He had clumps of hair on the shoulders and back of his shirt. I was beside myself, agonizing for him. And for me. I have lived in chemo rooms in two states for over a decade. The nurses and staff all know me well. I'm a regular. I come in smiling. I leave grateful to be done.

I have lived through the friends I thought were friends who hid in the supermarket aisles, not wanting to face me. I have lived through the friends I thought were friends who didn't call because they didn't know what to say. I have lived to greet not just one grandchild, but five!!!!! And I have personally witnessed their birth into this world, their first breath taken, on three awesome occasions. (An hour behind with the other two.) All with open arms and an open heart. They are what Life is all about. I have lived to read the letter my ten year old granddaughter wrote to her next door neighbor who's thirty something husband had died last week. Little Josie found the words. They were her own. They came from her heart. She knew what to say.

I have lived with the extraordinary support of my husband, my two daughters, my son-in-law, family and *true* friends. Their loving energy has buoyed me and sustained me.

I live worrying that my port is safe, uninfected and working. I continue to live through the waiting for the results of the tests. I lived through holding my breath to see if the cancer had diminished or if it had spread. Now, I sit praying that I remain stable and have bought four more months of Life. I still live through the anxious anticipation for a week prior to the tests that will determine if I will live or die. I keep choosing Life, but I still become touched by tormenting thoughts in the days leading up to the big day. I live through that fear which is unlike any other. Am I in trouble or should I celebrate? Cancer is one hell of a roller coaster ride. I live concerned that if they have to use my thin frail veins that they will access one that functions without collapsing, rolling over and *blowing out*. I have lived through the uncertainty of whether I will be here next week. I feel bold making an appointment for a year from now, humbled as I write on my calendar. I still live with that preying thought, as all cancer Survivors must do, dare I hope... I have learned to take nothing for granted. And that is good. And that is bad. Each day we reach for Grace, wanting to live. And we are wise enough now to know we should not waste a single day in despair. We seek to rejoice in the day, with joy and serenity, knowing how precarious Life can be and cherishing the gift of each sunrise all the more. That is what I wish for all my sweet Soul Sisters, wonderful Women Warriors who are among the bravest Spirits to roam this earth... Andi
You are so very beautiful, you ladies I adore and admire with all my heart!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #84
fauxgypsy

Thumbs up Inspiration

Andi,
I worked in my studio today and then I had to get flat. I am having to get used to the new chemo day. I used to could think "this is Monday and I'll be better tomorrow. But now with chemo on monday then I guess for the next few weeks, Thursday is effectively Monday for me. I just came to the studio to quickly check my email before I go back to bed and saw your last post here.

Andi, you bubble over with life force. There is so much love in you. I am uplifted when I read your words. I have only been dealing with this cancer for such a short time and I cannot begin to imagine years of it. And after years of this well over with this incredible force that I can just feel. Your wisdom and courage and joy just stop me in my tracks. You rock!

There are so many people on this site that I admire. Too many to list. So many strong courageous women and men. I am so glad I found this website and am thankful for the people who have made this possible.

Leslie
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote