HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
christine brown

Herceptin Joint Pain - Does it last the whole year??

Hi there ,
Only had 2/17 herceptin treatments and was wondering if the stiff sore joints every morning and after sitting for a while is very common and will likely last the whole year. This is my first post so hopefully I'll figure out how to read and respond to anyone who kindly offers info.
Thanks a lot,
Christine
christine brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
tousled1

Hi Christine,

I started Herceptin in June and am plagued with bone/muscle/joint pain. Since I am only on Herceptin, I know that it is the culprit. I have talked to my oncologist about it but she seems to disagree with me that it's the Herceptin. I'm going to a pain management doctor wnad receiving pain medication from him which really helps. According to the pain management doctor muscle/bone/joint pain is a huge side effect of Herceptin. I know that with each infusion I get the pain gets worse. I have tried getting the Herceptin every week and then switched to every three weeks to see if the pain would be less. No difference in pain level whether I get the infusion every week or every three weeks. So I have opted to go the every three weeks. Matter of fact, I go this Friday for my Herceptin. I have been complaining since day number one that Herceptin and I just do not get along very well. At least all my scans and markers are good so the Herceptin must be doing it's job. Hang in there as I understand that once you stop the Herceptin the side effects slowly diminish. There was a post entitled "Herceptin side effects - real or perceived" on the board. You may want to do a search and find the thread. I'll look for it and post it if I find it.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
tousled1

Christine,

I found the link for the thread dealing with side effects of Herceptin. You may want to read it. It will at least put your mind at ease.

Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

You may also want to post on the HER2 board as that is read more frequently.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
Old 12-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
futurefocus

Arrow herceptin Side Effects

My first response but I am so thankful that this site is available. I have been suffering side effects since day one ( I have 6 months behind me now). I was told that this would be the easy part....but not for me. I have had all the above...especially joint, muscle , nerve pain. It is very painful...in fact so much at one point I could barely get out of bed. Just so you know during the regular chemo I was walking 9-12 miles a week on my off weeks....I can't even walk a couple of blocks on Herceptin. I feel like my muscleoskeletal system is as brittle as my nails...dry and ready to crumble. I did ask after 3 months of treatment (so late 'cause I thought side effects were residual) that they remove the perservative from the Herceptin ( which is benzole alcohol...a very nasty chemical). This seemed to help a little ...decreased the accumulation affect so that I could continue my TX. My onc contacted the original 3 drs. of the longtitudinal study in which the FDA approved it and they all said that these side effects I was having were very rare and unheard of. One did say that he knew only one pt. that went into renal failure due to the autoimmune system esponse on itself. A little scarey but I feel better that others have similar concerns and many have done well after it. I have been on a Herceptin vacation for 4 weeks as my Onc couldn't tell me if all my side effects would be permanent or not. May run some more blood tests for things like Lupus or other autoimmune issues to rule out that my joints are not being damaged in the long or short run. During the break the nerve pain is gone, rib pain more prominant, weight gain decreasing consistantly, nails not so brittle, joint pain better but still not normal, nausea more noticeable and even noticed some eye lashes have fallen out, stiffening when sedentary still present and fatigue is still pretty bad. Hope this helps. Thank you everyone for sharing. Here's to our future!
futurefocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
tousled1

futurefocus,

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering so much with the Herceptin but at the same time thankful that I'm not the only one. I am just about at the six month mark with my Herceptin and believe me I can't wait until my year is up. My oncologist says the same thing -- never heard of bone/muscle/joint pain being a side effect. I'm not mistaken they mix the Herceptin with benzole alcohol. I believe that Lani posted something to that effect. In her post it also stated that the Herceptin could be mixed with saline water. I think that I will ask my oncologist about that -- at this point anything is worth a try. I do fully understand how your musceleosketal system feels. Some days I get up and it just feels like my feet are just going to snap! I guess all we can do in hang in there. Thanks for sharing. At least now I know I'm not alone.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
futurefocus

Yes they reconstitute it with saline water....much better. The perservative is for the Herceprin shelve life not our lives!
futurefocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
gin-tx

Bone pain from Herceptin

Dear Christine,

I have been on Herceptin with Aridia since June, I think the aridia causes more side effects for me. I had arthritis and bone pain before I began treatment so can't tell if it's more or the same. I do feel stiff some mornings when I wake up. I find I have more pain in feet than anywhere else, figured it was just getting older. I'll ask the onc when I go back on Dec. 22 for a treatment and also see the dr. Last time I received treatment only, doc was on vacation.

Good luck with your treatments. I wish I only had 17 to do, don't know how much longer I'll be going, I tried to get an answer and he wouldn't comment. My surgeon said he had a patient that just got off Herceptin after 3 yrs. Oh well, if I have to I'll continue.

hugs,

ginkott1@aol.com
gin-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
myu2050

It is the hereceptin, I had the exactly same experience as you do now. Hang on, it will get better.

Mary
myu2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
gin-tx

Bone pain

Dear Mary,

Thanks for info. Since I've been losing weight the bone pain has gotten better except in back I have a malignant tumor on spine, have had radiation and it is staying same, not improving or getting worse. Just there. My biggest problem I had after last treatment was terrible stomach problems and fatigue, I was in week-end and did not work on Mon and should have stayed home Tues but pushed myself to go to work. Only work 6 hrs a day, so feel I should be there as much as I can.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

ginkott1@aol.com
Old 10-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
misskuwait

HI I have been on Herceptin for a year for first stage Breast cancer. Had my last infusion in August 2007. My back pain and general all over aches and pains has got gradually worse over the year of treatment and seems now almost unbearable at times. My body aches constantly and when I sit now at the laptop I have to put cushions at my back.
Exercise seems to help when I swim the pain goes for a while. I am wondering how long these side effects will last. I have a "crunchy knee" when walking upstairs. Sometimes I fear the cancer has come back but I think that logically it has to be the Herceptin. I also take Tomaxifen and wonder is this a bad combination of drugs. When I tell my onc about the back pain she just brushes it off.
I am happy to know that I am not imagining things and unfortunately there are others out there who are suffering also.
misskuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
gin-tx

I think everyone's pain level is different. I had joint and back pain before I started treatment for bc so can't be sure they are even related. Have you tried any over the counter items. You might ask your dr first to see what he recommends. I have had back and knee pain for so long, I think a lot of it is degeneration from age.

ginkott1@aol.com
Old 12-08-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Cammie

I was on Herceptin for a total of 1 year. 3 months with Taxol. My last treatment was March 2006. I am still experiencing painful feet and joints. Some days it takes a lot of effort to walk or work out. Once I am up and moving, they get a little better until I sit down again. I am having a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable. I don't know if something else is going on, I will be seeing my onocologist next week. I was diagnosed with Stage III unusually aggressive breast cancer in Oct. 2004. I have had left mastectomy with reconstruction. Now if I can get my feet and legs to stop hurting, I certainly would feel better.

I feel better knowing that I am not the only one with feet pain.

I enjoy reading everyone stories.

Cammie
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
tousled1

Hello everyone,

Well, I had my Herceptin treatment today and they reconstituted the Herceptin with Saline water per my request. So far so good. Guess I'll know in a day or two whether it makes a difference in the bone/muscle/joint pain. If it does then I will have my remaining Herceptin treatments reconstituted with saline water. Will keep you posted.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
gin-tx

Pain from herceptin

Dear Cammie,

I have not been on Taxol so don't know what the side effects can be, maybe with it combined with Herceptin it makes for more body aches. I don't know. I have noticed I have pain in my left foot on the top of foot and where the instep is (I think that's the top of foot). I thought it's just me, I have arthritis in various parts of body, lower back, knees, and maybe even feet, I don't know. Don't want to go to a podiatrist, they like to operate. And I'm not doing that. Had foot surgery once, it was awful, never again as the pain was so bad. I may ask my onc when I see him next week if this pain could be from Herceptin. I find my biggest problem is being unable to sleep the night after I have treatment. I'm wide eyed all night long. Maybe because I sat all day and did not exert myself. Who knows. I have sleeping pills, anti depressants, pain meds (2 kinds) and am hesitant to mix too much as I take about 10 RX on a daily basis. Keep me informed what your dr has to say. I'm interested.

hugs,

ginger
Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
sdhaem

kat I would get to the onc.. and request a test... I don't have the brown spots but ,, but the muga scan caught the heart damage from the herceptin.. are you still doing herceptin..
sdhaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #16
sdhaem

Thank you so much for the reply, the cardiologist put me on two heart medications...my muga scan showed a slight decrease in my left ventricle on the second muga scan so they were doing them every 2 months but the last was a lot of decrease.. he thinks they can put me back on herceptin and watch the heart...
sdhaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
Catherine

Kat in the Delta and other Herceptin Pals,

Kat,I tried to send you a private email, but could not get it to work.

Brown spots, stiffness, etc....You have had more than your share with side effects. I started Herceptin 12/27/06 and now it is 7/6/07. I feel lucky to say I have only had the minor side effects.

Runny nose...which is now better..subsided a bit after 4 months.
Stiffness when I get up...also is subsiding.
I do walk 5 times a week and drink a fair amount of water.
Have one drink 5 nights a week.
I get lots of sleep.
2 mugas, both good.
Bloody nose first and second day after Herceptin. Actually a little more intense this last time.
I get Herceptin every 3 weeks. Will ask about how they mix it next time.
No problems with my port.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their information, it is so good to share and increase our knowledge. I love the advocacy roll we all take.

All the best, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down kat in the delta

sd_____ et al..,
You said you were getting 2 rx's for your heart. I already take a blood pressure pill and a diur. When I went to my Dermotolgist... he gave me another diurectic to enhance the 1st one.. I also take Potassium. I am in pain even if I sit at the computer for an hr..... It feels like a Nawing(?) pain all over.... I have to lie down FAST.... & try to relax.. to make it better... A pain pill helps me in the morning, I have to admit..... My Onc. says that I should not have PAIN and refused to give me any pain pills when I saw him the other day....but..(lite bulb !!) HE had not even received the Tumor Marker test Back ..yet..!!! I am just know remembering that !! ChemoBrained,
Kat in the Delta My chemobrain may be from bad circulation...
R.S.V.P. WHAT WAS ANYONE's MUGA SCORE ? If the Rested-Gaited is the same... my last one was a 48--a yr ago.. hadn't had one since... kat in the de;ta
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
dhealey

My onclologist has me get echocardiograms every 2 months. I have been on Herceptin every 3 weeks since Feb. will be done Feb. 2008. The only side effect I have is occassional joint pain when sitting for long periods then only when I get up. Could be from the arimidex or herceptin. Don't know since I started them at the same time. I am told on the echocardiogram the ejection fraction must be above 50% to stay on herceptin. My last one was 62%. Must add I am also on a BP med with a diurectic was on this before BC. I also walk every day which helps the heart and the bones.
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #20
Aangelnxtc

Kat, my last one was 60, I also take omega 3 4 times a day. Could be helping. The way I understood it at 50 they make u take a break.

Remind ur Doc u need 1

Angela
Aangelnxtc is offline   Reply With Quote