HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
eva9310

Making a change to my surgery plan - feel at peace

I have made a decision to switch to implants vs diep. I don't have enough fat to do a double mx and if I did a single, there is a chance I don't have enough fat to get symmetry.

Overall after talking to my surgical oncologist, hearing "I've heard it before but I was blocking her mentally" :-) her recommendation for my cancer and my case I've decided to do a double, skin sparing mastectomy with either expanders and then impacts or straight to implants. The plastics will have to decide. I'm already a D cup so I might be a possible candidate for immediate.

She still wants me to do RADS so I'm sure she wants the tissue expander first :-)

We will wait for the pathology report before I make that decision. Surgery is set for Thanksgiving week which I'm so happy about!!!! My kids are off the whole week so it will be nice easy recovery time. I'm going to try to move it to the Friday before. That would give me 10 days with the kids not being in school and that makes it easier for me to recover.

I'm happy about the less recovery, I can always do diep at a later time maybe when I need to exchange my implants and have more fat. History has shown I'm not getting any skinnier over the years so maybe in 10 years, if I'm cancer free I can swap my impacts for double diep.

Sometimes it feels good to have decisions made and a plan. I'm not going to worry about RADS anymore because until the path report comes back there is NOTHING I can do about it. I'm still terrified of RADS but they are not on my doorstep today!

I hope you all have a fantastic day and thank you for listening to me rant for the last week or two. I'm better now. :-) And it's almost Friday!!

Eva
State 2B
ER/PR Negative, Her 2 Positive
Ki-67 80%

A/C x 4 - DONE
TAXOL X 12 - HALF WAY ONLY 6 TO GO!
HERCEPTIN/PERJETA X 4 - HALF WAY ONLY 2 TO GO!
SURGERY - DOUBLE MX Scheduled!
RADS - Hopefully Not
HERCEPTIN - Continue for 1 year
eva9310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Making a change to my surgery plan - feel at peace

Eva I'm glad you feel at peace with your decision and its always a good thing to do our own research I feel which you obviously have. I can reassure you that rads were a breeze for me after chemo so nothing to fear but hopefully you won't need it after all, good luck!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote