HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
jml

7 years & counting...NED still elusive. Chest nodes back.

Hi All~
I was really hoping to celebrate my 7yr Cancerversary (on May 17) w/NED, but as it turns out, he's yet again, elusive
I'm only 5 weeks off of my last cycle of chemo-Gemzar/Herceptin - chest nodes again- medastinal/hilar/subcarinal. With that last cycle, I've now had 105 rounds of chemo. Ugh! And it didn't even work.
I'm really bummed right now, and just need some time to let the news settle. Then back to the drawing board research chemo combos, maybe radiation again (previously I'd had 7 weeks of rads for supraclav nodes).
The good news is my liver is still clean - 3+years now, and my kidneys are okay too.
I just really really really don't want to be bald again.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Keeping the Faith - though it's a little hard today...

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Sweet Jessica, I am sending you hugs right now as you try to digest this all. I know this journey has such ups and downs and those downs are really low. I sit here tonight really relating to what you are saying. I am also begging you to keep the faith and breathe through this all. It stinks I know, Jessica but one day at a time will help you get by. When this all sinks in and is digested, I am certain you will do that research, gather that ammo, and fight with all of your might. I am sorry you feel sad and maybe a bit defeated but so happy that you know where to come when you feel this way. We are here for you and if I could shoulder some of your pain, I would. Please keep us updated. Walking besides you.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
WomanofSteel

I know that it is hard sometimes when we have to face this disease everyday, but you have come a long way and just need to find a little something to go that extra mile. Hang in there, we are all beside you. You can do it!
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Rich66

Hopefully they found NED at aacr. If not, at least some powerful chemo combos to help you.

I know Lani posted this node mentioning article:

Links Bicarbonate increases tumor pH and inhibits spontaneous metastases.

Robey IF, Baggett BK, Kirkpatrick ND, Roe DJ, Dosescu J, Sloane BF, Hashim AI, Morse DL, Raghunand N, Gatenby RA, Gillies RJ.
Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
The external pH of solid tumors is acidic as a consequence of increased metabolism of glucose and poor perfusion. Acid pH has been shown to stimulate tumor cell invasion and metastasis in vitro and in cells before tail vein injection in vivo. The present study investigates whether inhibition of this tumor acidity will reduce the incidence of in vivo metastases. Here, we show that oral NaHCO(3) selectively increased the pH of tumors and reduced the formation of spontaneous metastases in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer. This treatment regimen was shown to significantly increase the extracellular pH, but not the intracellular pH, of tumors by (31)P magnetic resonance spectroscopy and the export of acid from growing tumors by fluorescence microscopy of tumors grown in window chambers. NaHCO(3) therapy also reduced the rate of lymph node involvement, yet did not affect the levels of circulating tumor cells, suggesting that reduced organ metastases were not due to increased intravasation. In contrast, NaHCO(3) therapy significantly reduced the formation of hepatic metastases following intrasplenic injection, suggesting that it did inhibit extravasation and colonization. In tail vein injections of alternative cancer models, bicarbonate had mixed results, inhibiting the formation of metastases from PC3M prostate cancer cells, but not those of B16 melanoma. Although the mechanism of this therapy is not known with certainty, low pH was shown to increase the release of active cathepsin B, an important matrix remodeling protease.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

I surely did wish that I had a suggestion, but I'll bet you'll get tons of them soon. I hate that you have to keep working to find the right combination of chemo. Best wishes and my sincere prayers. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
'lizbeth

Jessica,

I agree - losing your hair really sucks. I hope the next combination is the magic combination for you, no more mets!

Keep us posted. 'lizbeth

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Rich66

In case you are ER+

1:
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2009 Apr;36(4):671-3.
[A case of metastatic breast cancer resistant to anastrozole treatment responding to high-dose toremifene.]

[Article in Japanese]

Murata T, Yoshino H, Bandou H, Morita K, Kurokawa M, Inaki N, Kotake M, Kadoya S, Yamamoto M, Takayanagi T, Yamada T.
Dept. of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Ishikawa Prefectural Central Hospital.
The patient was a 56-year-old female. At the age of 35 years, she had under gone left mastectomy and axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancer. After surgery, hormonal therapy was continued for 3 years. Then, no treatment was performed. In this study, single therapy with an AI agent was started to treatbilateral supraclavicular fossa/mediastinal lymphnode metastases. After 6 months, a partial response(PR)was achieved. However, progression of the disease(PD)was noted after 1 year. Thereafter,the regimen was switched to single high-dose(120mg/day)TOR therapy. CT revealed the disappearance of the bilateral supraclavicular fossa lymphnodes and a marked reduction of the other lymphnodes. Currently, the patient is being treated, with an interval of 10 months from the start of TOR therapy.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Joan M

Jessica,

I'm keeping the faith with you.

I'm sending you good vibes for finding the next right treatment.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Shobha

Keeping you in my prayers, Jessica. May God lead you to the right combo and bring you to NED status soon.

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
jml

Just need a soft place to fall, then a swift kick to get back in it...

Thank you everyone, for offering me a soft place to fall. You all are absolutely the 1st place I turn for comfort and for celebration, and I can't thank you enough.
Surviving 7 years as a Stage IV'er is pretty amazing, I know, and I don't take that for granted. I'm just feeling a little defeated again -so much chemo, so much surgery, so many sacrifices to accomodate this disease. Not just for me, but for all of us, and for those who love and fight for us. I'm mad at it. And sad. And ofcourse, scared again.
I know I can do treatment again. I know I can. But honestly, I'm just really sick & tired of it.
I think what makes me the most sad is with each recurrence-I've had too many to count...or has it been just one long disease process?- I find myself mourning, again, for all the things in my life that thought I would have-my own family, stability, freedom from this burden - but have to suspend, if even for a short time, yet again.
With each recurrence, or failed treatment, I fear "How much longer can my body continue to be resilient?" and I wonder if this is the beginning of that end? I wonder why I'm fighting so hard, if in the end, I will pass alone. My parents, sisters, friends all have their own families to continue on with, and they'll all be okay if I go. And then I can then watch after them as they always have for me. I think about my little nieces -7&3. The older one was only 3 months old when I was dx'd, and she has only ever known me with this disease, the multiple baldness, the scars, etc. I'm so glad to see those little girls grow up, but at the same time I'm aware that they're now old enough to be sad and miss me if I go.
The reality is, I've been blessed with a really great quality of life, in spite of all the treatment & surgeries. I've accomplished a lot, been blessed with a lot, and feel happy every day. I consider myself charmed to have all that I do have. My strength and endurance always return & I'm able to be very active. My clients are often amazed (& hopefully inspired), that I can still kick their butts in a Pilates class even though I just had Chemo#100+ the day before! I know how fortunate I am to have the physical strength & resilience that I do have.
Once I get over this "sad-hump", I'll call on that to drive me back into fighting mode. I just feel a little empty today.
So thanks for listening, and even more for understanding.
You all are another one of the many blessings I have found on this ironic journey.

I AM Keeping the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Sheila

Jessica
I am also dealing with multiple node mets now....after 60 Taxol treatments, and 1 1/2 years of Xeloda...a little Avastin sprinkled in, and as always the Herceptin. I am thankful that this beast choses to remain in the nodes, but why cant it just give us a break! I will know today what my next chemo cocktail will be....
We just need to keep chasing NED...sooner or later he'll get tired and we'll get a break....sending you positive thoughts on this next regime.....I am with you!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
Pam P

First, 7 years and still counting, congrats! May 17 is a good day to celebrate - it's Syntendde Mai - Norwegian Independance day. If you're Norwegian like me you'll know the tradition, if not you'll still celebrate your surviving knowing lots of smiling Norwegians are celebrating with you.

Second, RATS on the node activity. What a disappointment to be so close to NED. Why did you stop the gemzar? If it was working would it be wise to just go back on that?

I know you'll get a good treatment plan to blast those cancer cells and hopefully NED really soon. I'll have 8 yrs in June - never with NED (except initially before bone mets were found), but I keep hoping.

I'm with you on the hair loss - it is such a bummer. This is the 3rd time I've been bald. I do have a wig (pictured) that looks pretty natural on me so that has helped. I'm getting a new one this week - whoopie, I guess, but would rather have my own. The good part is being bald in the summer is cooler - not much consolation I know. Hey bald & NED = priceless.

Wish you good health and a gentle but effective treatment.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Jessica, how are you making out with your planning? Just wondering how you are doing and hope you are feeling better about things. Your posts move me so and I cannot get them out of my head, you describe your feelings so well. Thank you for sharing your journey and your support, you are loved.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote