HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Lani

it may not be so simple--repeated intake of broccoli--no sustained blood level of

of sulforophane

in the journal Cancer Letters

Repeated intake of broccoli does not lead to higher plasma levels of sulforaphane in human volunteers

Natalya Hanlona, Nick Coldhamb, Adriana Gielbertb, Maurice J. Sauerb and Costas Ioannidesa, ,

aMolecular Toxicology Group, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK

bMolecular Pathogenesis and Genetics Department, Veterinary Laboratories Agency-Weybridge, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK

Abstract

The plasma pharmacokinetic characteristics of the chemopreventive isothiocyanate sulforaphane were determined in six human volunteers following single and repeated intake of raw broccoli. Initially, an analytical method utilising LC–MS/MS, capable of determining low levels of sulforaphane in human plasma was developed and validated. The plasma profile of the isothiocyanate best fitted a two-compartment pharmacokinetic model. Sulforaphane was rapidly absorbed with peak plasma levels being attained within 1.5 h, and was characterised by a long terminal elimination phase. Repeated intake of broccoli had no impact on the pharmacokinetic behaviour or plasma levels of sulforaphane, and there was no evidence of accumulation.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Unregistered

Wonders if there is a difference in those who ingest brocco sprouts with higher levels of SGS and the green tea with SGS.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Mary Jo

Unregistered is me....

Just wanted to let you know that the above post "unregistered" was from me. I didn't realize I had to log in when I usually don't.

All fixed.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED