HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #41
Mandamoo

Re: TDM-1 side effects

I am now day 4 - yesterday I had a low grade temperature and achy muscles and joints. My appetite was better. Fatigue had me in bed all morning but I was in my garden for a while in the afternoon.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #42
Nancy L

Thank you Lori for bringing this thread to my attention. I read everyone's comments and found the information useful to properly set expectations.
I had my first infusion yesterday around noon at the EAP Stockton site (Dr. Medhi and staff are fabulous.).

I was fine until around 7pm when I crashed. I woke up this morning with a low grade fever, body aches and a headache. I felt lousy all day. Hoping it just means the drug is working.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #43
Pray

Nancy, I too pray it is working for you and all the others! Gods blessings to you. I hope your side effects subside quickly!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #44
radiant

Hi Nancy and others!

I started t-dm1 last week in Stockton as well. I would have to say my first dose side effects were INTense. I was not expecting this. I've been on the chemo merry go round for years, and this was one of the hardest ever to go through.

I was knocked out for five straight days - today is my first day up. I have mets in the liver - within 2 hours of infusion, it felt like my liver swelled alot, pressed on my stomach and stayed that way until yesterday. So, 4-5 days. Something is still pressing, but not as much.

I was very, very weak - unable to support my own weight. Vertigo at night and am from days 3-5. Strong headaches days 1-5.

I feel much better today, and too hope this is a good sign. I haven't heard of anyone having s/e's like this on tdm1. I will let the trial people know - but wanted to ask here as well.

I, too, felt like it means it working. For me, it felt like I had literally ingested a poison with this first dose of tdm-1.

Did anyone else get any s/e's close to this?

Thanks -

Kim
2008 - on Arimidex/Herceptin - stable lymph node.
2009 - stable on Arimidex/Herceptin
2010 - lymph node progression and liver mets.
2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.
2010 - did Xeloda & Tykerb - MAJOR progression in liver in only 6 weeks.
Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing
June 2012 - chemo break
Sept 19, 2012 - start t-dm1. Chose this over going back on Ixempra.
radiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #45
KDR

Hi, Kim!
Wow, it's been a while since we spoke, am sorry that over these last few weeks, never had the chance to give you the time you deserved via phone. So, you're on T-DM1! Congratulations!
I think the platelet wipe is hard, liver mets feel like they are being attacked (and they are), neuropathy...that's my story with T-DM1. This weekend I had swelling in the forearm and couldn't do a 1/4 turn either way.
I never had headaches. Are you on every third week? I go weekly. Any chance you could do that? Either way it's a lot of medicine to take.
Wishing you well, keep those healing vibes alive,
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #46
Nancy L

The chemo delivered in T-DM1 is very toxic. This article explains it.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...pOY92Eo.mailto

So I guess a few have lucked out with only a few minor side effects---good for them! And then there is the rest of us. I am into day 4 and feeling better but still in bed. I do think the pain in my shoulder is down. Hope it is the drug working and not my imagination.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #47
Mandamoo

Hi Kim - my response was not so intense. I am day 6 now. Crashed with extreme tiredness within hours of the first infusion, no appetite slight nausea and headache. Day 2 - very lethargic, headache. Day 3 - crashed with fatigue, headache, low grade temp, muscle aches. Day 4 headache and aches but up and about - low temp at night. Day 5 - pretty good but still taking paracetamol for aches in joints and muscles and headache, afternoon rest. Day 6 - so far so good - don't feel normal (!) but ok so far.
I have lung mets - I've felt nothing alarming but have had slight chest heaviness but I also have a viral infection so who knows?
I hope the next one is better for you.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.

February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
Nancy L

I noticed my link did not copy correctly. Sorry about that. Just google "what chemo is delivered in T-DM1" if you are interested in the article.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #49
KDR

Nancy,
I do know one thing: the chemo in T-DM1 was shelved many years ago for being too toxic to give alone.
Thanks for posting.
Karen
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #50
michka

Kim (Radiant) I had what you described. Extreme extreme fatigue (I could not get up), bad nausea the first days, pain in the abdomen and in the thorax, headaches the first days...I am now at the 8th dose. The pain in the abdomen and liver disappeared after 2 or 3 infusions. I am not exhausted anymore. Just tried. I still have the heavy chest pressure and other problems BUT many mets are not visible anymore on the scans. So I believe that the terrible exhaustion and the pain was due to the cancer cells dying but it is my own interpretation. The Drs just noted things down. So hang on. After a few infusions it may improve a lot and what I hope is that at your next scan you will see the mets shrinking in your liver.

I am adding a question
My blood pressure is rising ans is now high. The cardiologist wanted me to start a treatment but the oncs asked me to wait. I am very worried about that. Did anybody see their blood pressure raise with TDM1?

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #51
radiant

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your responses. Michka - I am very grateful to
hear that u had similar s/e's. I was thinking it must be working
to feel this bad, since it's targeted.

I am SO glad to hear this is really working for you. Yesterday
I could get out of bed. Now it feels like bombs went off in
my abdomen area, and that there are holes in some places -
like my liver that my body is working OT to repair. My stomach
area is still swollen and sore. I'm sure thIs means it is
working.

Michka - I saw high bp was a side effect in 10% of folks. I
got bad high bp after being on Avastin for 18 months. I am
now using an essential oil blend to help with my bp - it's working. Plz
PM me if u want to learn more. France is a Mecca for using
essential oils medicinally.

Thanks everyone -

Kim
2008 - on Arimidex/Herceptin - stable lymph node.
2009 - stable on Arimidex/Herceptin
2010 - lymph node progression and liver mets.
2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.
2010 - did Xeloda & Tykerb - MAJOR progression in liver in only 6 weeks.
Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing
June 2012 - chemo break
Sept 19, 2012 - start t-dm1. Chose this over going back on Ixempra.
radiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
MikeF

Not sure if this needs to be just an update on Barb or an addition to TDM-1 side effects. Barb has had two treatments the last on the 18th of Sept. By the 20th she was running a fever of 103.5 and finding it difficult to breath. We ended up in the emergency room where they diagnosed her with pneumonia and plueral effusion. I've read where pneumonia can be a side effect, has anyone else experienced this. Shes had 11 days of oral antibiotics (Levaquin) as well as three infusions of Vancomycin early last week. All appeared well untill we decided to take a short trip to the coast this past weekend her fever returned along with a persistent cough so we returned home and had her at the doctors office Monday where the started another round of the Vancomycin. Hopefully the fever leaves before her next scheduled treatment next Tuesday. So I guess were not sure if this is helpfull for you TDM-1ers out there.
Radiation to spine
10/23/10StartNavelbine
11/19/10 Port installed
11/22/10 Started 2nd cycle
1/10/11 Finished 2nd cycle
1/24/11 Herceptin Only
3/7/11 progression, start Taxol/Herceptin
4/18/11 Skin mets appear increase treatments to weekly
rash spreads to right breast
7/5/11 enroll in TDM-1 study
7/29/11 randomly assigned Tykerb drop out of trial and start Tykerb /Herceptin no Xeloda skin mets gone Tykerb working
1/31/12 Skin mets return add Xeloda
5/9/12 Stop Tykerb skin mets back
5/17/12 Return to Navelbine/Herceptin
6/26/12 start process for TDM-1 compassionate access
8/28/12 Start TDM-1
10/9/12 third TDM-1 no response yet
10/23/12 Start Haloven
1/17/12 Start Perjeta/ Herceptin/Taxotere
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #53
KDR

Hi,
Sounds like the pneumonia might be an aside from the T-DM1. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but we also have life's general ailments. Hope Barb is feeling better.
Karen
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #54
Mandamoo

I am now a week post my second dose. My bloods were fine. Second dose a week ago and this time no fever - just mild joint pain and fatigue and some nausea on day 2.
I'm not sure though how it is working. I have an asthmatic type of cough which I am not sure is post viral (I've had an upper respiratory tract infection) or the lung mets progressing. Progress scan on the 29th - hoping for a stable result.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #55
Nancy L

I had my second infusion 3 days ago. It is amazing how different this one was from the first. Very few side effects so far--mild headache, joint pain and severe dry mouth. But I have been on high doses of prednisone since 10/10 for pneumonitis. I believe the steroids made the difference. Will see next time when I am not on the steroids. They were concerned that I continue to loose weight--5 lbs in past three weeks. Because the cancer has attacked my cranial and vagus nerve, I have a difficult time swallowing. Eating is a chore and I am really sick of Ensure. But I am hopeful T-DM1 will kill the cancer lesions on the nerves nd in time they will regenerate. My right vocal cord was paralyzed at my first recurrence 3 1/2 yrs ago. This time it hit my left vocal cord (controlled by vagus nerve) so my breathing and speaking are severely affected. I had to have an emergency trach during radiation treatment. Can't wait to get this out. But T-DM1 has to work first and the nerves have to regenerate---a lot to hope for.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #56
Mandamoo

Hi Nancy - it's sounds like you are having a rough time. Glad this dose was easier - hopefully you will get good results so those nerves can regenerate.
Is the pneumonitis treatment related?
I rang my trial coordinator about my cough yesterday and he said there is another lady like me with lung mets and her cough became worse and first two scans showed stable then the third showed dramatic reduction - guess we all respond differently.
Seems we are pretty close in our schedule with this - are you on Theresa trial or compassionate access? I am due for scans on 29th October.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #57
Nancy L

Amanda,

I have pneumonitis from radiation. I was denied on Theresa trial because of the radiation I received for severe pain. But I got into expanded access. Yes, we are similar. I was put on Tykerb and herceptin on my first recurrence. I was on this protocol for 3 1/2 years but I think it only worked for a little over two years.

It really breaks my heart to see young moms saddled with this fight. You are way too young to have to deal with all this. I really pray T-DM1 works for you so you can focus on your daughters.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #58
Nancy L

I would like to ask about your blood work results while on T-DM1. For those who have been on this for awhile, do the platelets get hit hard every time or just when you first start taking this drug?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #59
KDR

Hi, Nancy,
I've been on one year.
Platelets: YES. Hit every time. But rebound for next treatment. Expect bruising, too. I am on a weekly dose and close to the end of my trial. No tweaking until then. The study I'm on is to examine whether it's better to dose weekly or otherwise.

Best of luck to you,
Karen
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #60
Mandamoo

I haven't had any issues so far - bloods for two doses all completely normal.
I had my first scan yesterday - 7 weeks, 2 treatments - Stable lungs and smaller mediastinal nodes. Trial onc feels lungs are slightly better though not measurably so - nodules slightly less prominent though I wonder if he is just being optimistic. Report says some marginally larger, some marginally smaller, target lesions unchanged - overall tumor burden the same.
I am happy for stable but hoped for more.