HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #61
Midwest Alice

Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

What is Faux news channel and what does it have to do with this discussion?

Or maybe I should ask you, gdpawel, to stay on topic.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #62
PinkGirl

I think Faux News is a play on words of Fox News. There's been mention
of CNN, Fox News, 60 Minutes, The New York Times etc. etc. .... so this
is not exactly "off topic" ... and even if it were off topic, I think we're
allowed to do that here ... go off topic ....

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #63
Midwest Alice

Oh I get it, just a pot shot at Fox news!
That gdpawel, always adding a little spark to the discussion.

Off topic is ok...

We put up two big Christmas trees at our home. My son came home sick from college today. I have to nurse him back to health he has finals this week! Hilary Clinton and Rober Gates were on three of the four Sunday news shows?

This is a game. See if you can guess which ones? I always tape all 4 because some are on at the same time or overlap.

OK I will get you the 4 to pick from to make it easier.

A. Meet the Press
B.This Week With George Stephanopoulos
c. Face the Nation
D. Fox New Sunday

Come on gdpawel, you want to play?
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
7/09 chest ultrasound,
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #64
PinkGirl

Wink Re: New Proposed Changes to Mammogram Guidelines

I know, I know. It was Face the Nation, Meet The Press
and This Week with George Steph...... I'm a quiz answering
fool ...

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #65
Midwest Alice

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!! Pink Girl is the winner!
7/09 chest ultrasound,
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin

can stand up under it."

Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #66
Carolyns

If getting political will keep me alive then I am up for grabs. Fighting Stage IV is no game show and with all of the talk about the cost of end of life care I am hoping that we could get the Right to Life folks working for us the way they did for Terry Schiavo (may she rest in peace). I don't know what her end-of-life request would have been but mine is not to end my life by saying the drugs I take are too expensive.

This topic keeps me up at night and I am love Brenda's saying, "I would rather be ancecdotally alive than statistically dead"
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #67
Jackie07

The dust is settled:

[The links have been listed on the 'Breast Cancer Newsfeed']

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...425488-98.html

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...425492-98.html

I'm glad [and proud] to have participated in this important debate. This is probably the first time that I have experienced first hand [that I might have a hand in it ] the power of advocacy. "What a [wonderful] feeling!"

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 12-08-2009 at 07:30 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #68
gdpawel

Health care is built around the doctor-patient relationship. Doctors devote a great deal of time and money to their medical education and patients seek out their expertise.

This bill is a perfect example of Congress disrupting this important relationship by placing it between you and your doctor. Remember, Wendell Potter was a corporate bureaucrat who stood between you and your doctor (although he own up to it).

So, between the government bureaucrat (what you see is what you get) and the corporate bureaucrat (who hide behind the veil of freedom, choice and non-bureaucracy but who are really just bureaucrats with different masters), they are still coming between you and your doctor.
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #69
StephN

Seems to me that all this ire and subsequent debate indeed had the effect of RAISING AWARENESS.

I have had more people talk to me about this who knew I am a long term BC patient, but never went into the details. They suddenly became interested and indeed learned some things.

Some of those people I talked with contacted their congress people. The controversy snowballed!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #70
gdpawel

Follow the mammogram money

Wall Street Journal's Alicia Mundy reported that the final health care bill in Congress is likely to require coverage for more mammagrams than the US recommended after women's groups, doctors and imaging equipment makers stepped up pressure on lawmakers.

From the article:

Adriane Fugh-Berman, a professor at Georgetown University's medical school in Washington, D.C., said the evidence supports less-frequent mammograms. "You have to ask if there's conflict of interest, because breast-cancer advocacy has become a big business," she said.

Ties between nonprofits and companies have been under attack by some consumer watchdogs. Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, sent letters last month asking 33 major nonprofit groups including the American Cancer Society to disclose their industry funding.

The American Cancer Society said it has received less than $1 million from screening-device makers in the past five years. Its spokesman said the donations, which are small relative to the society's annual revenue of more than $1 billion, don't influence its recommendations.

The American College of Radiology, a trade group, called the new government guidelines scientifically unfounded, and said that if the guidelines are adopted, "two decades of decline in breast-cancer mortality could be reversed and countless American women may die needlessly."

Its flagship research program studies the role of radiology in medicine. It received donations of at least $1 million each from General Electric Co.'s GE Healthcare and Siemens AG, according to the trade group's 2007-08 annual report. Both companies make mammography equipment and MRI scanners. Several other medical-device makers donated at least $100,000.

A spokesman for GE said the new guidelines conflict with successful early-screening programs. A representative of Siemens didn't respond to a request for comment. The college of radiology said sponsors haven't influenced its research. It has spent $480,000 on lobbying in the past two years, while the imaging industry spent more than $2.5 million.

One of the largest breast-cancer-awareness groups, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, has worked with GE and other companies. Komen turned to GE in October when it lit the Great Pyramids pink to mark a major screening initiative in Egypt. Neither GE nor the Komen group would say how much the event cost.

In 2007, GE sold limited-edition pink cameras to Home Shopping Network, which donated a portion of the sales to Komen. Imaging and film companies whose products go into mammography equipment have made pink DVD players, pink computer flash drives and pink cellphones, a portion of whose sales raise money for Komen and other breast-cancer groups.

In events at the Capitol, Komen for the Cure founder Nancy Brinker has praised GE's digital mammography technology, and she received a public-service award from the company.

Ms. Brinker, sister of the late Susan G. Komen, said some patient-advocacy groups tended to represent industry views, but her organization's push has always been early detection.

A traveling mammogram van purchased this fall by the American Cancer Society, Komen and other advocacy groups for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston touts a new GE Healthcare Senographe Essential digital-mammography system.

A lobbying group leading the charge in Washington against the new guidelines is the Access to Medical Imaging Coalition, whose members include GE and Siemens and several nonprofit patient groups, the college of radiology and leading doctors societies.

The coalition's director, Tim Trysla, is a lobbyist at a Washington law firm. He has been working in Congress against proposals to cut billions of dollars in Medicare spending in the health-overhaul bill that could hurt imaging-device makers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126325763413725559.html
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #71
gdpawel

Mammography Screening for Women Under Fifty

The storm that greeted the USPSTF guidelines on mammography screening for women in their 40s prompted the Senate to insert a mandate in its health care reform bill that every insurer cover every mammography screening test at no cost to beneficiaries.

The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published an article, "The Benefits and Harms of Mammography Screening: Understanding the Trade-offs," reminding physicians and women about the serious health costs of adopting that policy.

The authors, Dartmouth's Steven Woloshin and Lisa Schwartz, used the "number needed to treat" analysis to point out:

Without screening, 3.5 of 1000 women in their 40s will die of breast cancer over the next 10 years (ie, 996.5 of 1000 will not die of the disease).

Screening reduces the chance of breast cancer death from 3.5 to about 3 of 1000. In other words, 2000 women between 40 and 49 must be screened annually for the following ten years to save one life.

For most women with cancer, screening generally does not change the ultimate outcome; the cancer usually is just as treatable or just as deadly regardless of screening.

Finding cancers that were never destined to cause symptoms or result in death is the biggest problem with mammography, especially among younger women. Since it is impossible to know which cancers caught early are benign, all are treated with surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or some combination. Overdiagnosed women undergo treatment that can only cause harm, and must live with the ongoing fear of cancer recurrence.

While only 7% of women believe there could be breast cancers that grow so slowly that leaving them alone would not affect their health, randomized clinical trials have consistently shown that the groups undergoing mammography have more breast cancer, even after 15 years of follow-up. This persistent difference represents overdiagnosis.

Estimates of the rate of overdiagnosis range from 2 women overdiagnosed for every breast cancer death avoided in one trial, to 10 to 1 in another.

Woloshin and Schwartz concluded: "The politicalization of medical care is wrong. Promoting screening irrespective of the evidence may garner votes but will not create healthier voters. People need balanced information. Simplistic slogans touting only the benefit are deceptive. Simple, standardized summaries about the benefits and harms of testing would help foster good decision making."
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #72
gdpawel

Lessons from the Mammography Wars

A thoughtful piece was published in the New England Journal of Medicine about the miscommunication that took place last November of what the USPSTF tried to convey and the complicity of certain organizations in adding to that confusion.

http://healthpolicyandreform.nejm.org/?p=12525
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #73
Eddy

We are seeing the impact of the budgets cuts of the new elected republican congress that will allow the fat cats to increase their wealth at the expense of people. The beast defense for women in surviving breast cancer is early detection.

These republicans who claim the people of spoken fail to describe the people they are referring which is the insurance companies and their fat cat pals.

More emphasis should be placed on improved technologies that can pinpoint and detect breast cancers at their earliest stages. Research has shown that early detection provides the greatest opportunity for women to experience positive results from treatments.

Definitely a step backwards for all.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote