HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
hope

Neuropathy Problems on Abraxane

Sorry I have to repost I originally posted on Nicola's post on update on Lapatinib clinical trial by mistake. Thanks to Al, Lolly and Steph N. for responding.

I have been on Abraxane since April 2005 and have neuropathy on hands and fingers and now on bottoms of feet. Mostly numbness not pain. Neuropathy has been getting increasingly worse so my onc had lowered the dose of Abraxane by 15% and has perscibed a drug called Neurontin for the neuropathy. Is anyone on this drug? What are the side effects and does it work? Any other remedies for neuropathy? Thanks, Hope
Old 01-11-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Unregistered

Neurontin and neuropathy

Hi Hope,
I have diabetic neuropathy which is the same type of pain, tingling, and numbness caused by the Taxanes. I have taken Neurontin for the past several years without side effects. Because my pain is worse at night, I generally take the Neurontin starting in the evening. (600-900 mg). I do believe it can cause drowsiness, but since I take it late in the day, it has not been a problem for me. The Neurontin helps with the pain in my feet but doesn't seem to help with the numbness. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001 but was not given any Taxanes because of the pre-existing neuropathy. Hope the Neuontin is helpful to you. You will be in my prayers.
Love, Leslie
Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Barb

Hi Hope, I saw your posting on P neuropathy, was it caused by the Abraxane do you think?
I had Taxotere over 2 years ago, the regime being 18 treatments, 3 weeks on and 1 week off. I only lasted to 15, it affected my muscles in my legs, P Neuropathy was a problem and has since got worse, especially in my feet, with tingling, burning and some shooting pains through to my toes. I occasionally lose my balance as there is some loss of feeling and even had to change my style of sandals!
For the past 6 weeks or so, I have tried a product from the US, Vit B12 methylcobalamine and Thiamine, (used for diabetic PN) but it doesn't seem to have helped me so I'm back to the drawing board. My onc is suggesting something that might alleviate the side effects but she said it won't be a cure, but I'll wait until I finish the vitB12 stuff. Maybe it's Neurontin under a different name that she has in mind.
Take care
Barb
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:22 AM   #4
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Hi, I have been on Neurontin for about 6 months now maybe longer, with no side effects, I take 1 tablet 3 times daily. I originally started taking it for trigeminal neuralgia in the head and it did stop the pain. I have p/neuropathy on the bottom of my feet and finger tips on both hands, mine was caused by 26 weekly doses of Taxol. While havinginfusion I applied heat to where my lump was on my neck and I also have p/neuropathy from my ear down the side of my face and neck and along shoulder. The heat draws the drug to where the blood vessels are enlarged as well as to the furtherst point of the body being fingers and feet. I have lost most of the neuropathy in my left hand but that is the only result I have had. I replaced another nerve blocking drug which I was on for almost 7 years for the nerve damage in my chest from original radical mastectomy, however it was proven that some of these drugs impaired taxanes and cytoxans, and could be why my chemo never cures for long. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote