HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
SpitFire

Is Fatigue a Sign of Mets?

Is fatigue a sign of mets? Wouldn't I have a lot of energy after treatment? It has been a year and I would think that I would have energy because my body is not fighting cancer anymore.
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
2/2014 Lumpectomy Complete Response
2/2014 - 4/2014 Radiation
9/2014 Last Herceptin
SpitFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
thinkpositive

Re: Is Fatigue a Sign of Mets?

Spitfire,

I see that we have the same type of cancer (ER/PR negative) and that we were diagnosed at the same time. I was told by my onc that hitting the 2 year mark is an important milestone with our type of cancer. However, the fear of mets and the risk may diminish over time but will always be present.

I was told that the following would be signs of mets: new lumps on breast, chest, or arm pit; bone tenderness, pain, shortness of breath; rash on breast; nipple discharge. Fatigue was not one of the signs I was told to be on the lookout for.

I also get tired but I attribute this to having major hot flashes. It is hard to get a good nights rest when you are sweating one minute and then are cold the next.

Take Care,
Brenda
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
europa

I feel tired a lot. But I was told that it's normal because I have been thrust into menopause suddenly at 40. But if you are concerned you should speak to your onc.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
BonnieR

I think having been through what we have that it's not unusual for our bodies to be fatigued for a good while. Certainly more easily tired. There have been hormonal upheavals too
Lots of healing and recovery going on
And just because we've had cancer doesn't mean that something else might not be going on. Perhaps a low blood count?
Absolutely confer with your doctor. But easy does it!
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
SpitFire

Thanks for your insight. I have not been able to sleep more than 5 hours ever since starting chemo 2 years ago. I suddenly wake up around 2-3:30am every night and can't get back to sleep until around 6, when I should be waking up. My hot flashes are sporadic and vary in intensity. I don't nap during the day because I can't sleep even though I am very tired. I'm sure if I could sleep for longer than 5 hours at a time I would not be as fatigued, but I have tried everything. My body can't heal if it doesn't get sleep. I feel that I am never going to recover.
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
9/2014 Last Herceptin
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Carol Ann

Hi Spitfire, I am so sorry you haven't been able to sleep ... I too can have this problem. I have alternated between taking an Advil PM right before I go to bed, and taking Natural Calm, a magnesium supplement, right before bed. Magnesium is something that is good for you anyhow, but of course check with your doc.

Either of these knocks me out and I sleep right through most nights. I started taking a baby aspirin a day because it is supposed to help prevent a bunch of stuff (my onc told me to go ahead and do it) so I usually now opt for the Natural Calm. You can find the NC at a health store to try it ... if you find it works for you, you can get it for half price on Amazon. I don't go to bed without it, and take it with me when I travel.

Hope this helps!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
SpitFire

Thank you all,

Are there any blood tests that I should ask for? I have tried everything and have had this problem consistently for 2 years now.
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
9/2014 Last Herceptin
Old 08-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Carol Ann

I am not aware of any ... but again, may want to ask your doc. Mine does know I take the Natural Calm and told me to go for it, if it helps me sleep! Which it definitely does. It also helps with constipation ... my mornings have gone from a struggle in that to a smile on my face most days.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
JessicaV

Hi Spitfire, I do understand your concern. But the fatigue may well have another explanation
I too have been fatigued for a long time after finishing Chemo in July 2014. You and I both had Docetaxel and Carboplatin in our TCH combination, and I am told that platinum salts are particularly prone to causing ongoing fatigue. They are known to cause neurological damage in hands and feet, ie neuropathy, and may well also cause some damage to brain cells, which makes it harder for the brain to then do its usual processes required for complex thinking. So after a while of working fine in the morning, cognitive fatigue starts up and makes everything you do, both mental and physical, very hard.

It is a bit like having a traumatic brain injury, which also causes fatigue. I am told it gradually gets better, but can take years. Doctors want to call it depression because it stops you doing things you enjoy, makes you reactive and frustrated and unhappy. But if you start with energy each day and then lose it, and that's when the problems hit, it is not depression which doctors/oncologists etc want to call it and to treat, (though I am sure it can lead to depression I think if not accommodated).It seems to be about learning to budget your energy to get the important stuff done yet still have joy in your life. Hard.
best wishes
Jessica
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Carol Ann

Jessica, thanks! This so explains why I take alot of afternoon naps. I know I am so fortunate to be able to do this!

Carol Ann

Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
agness

Ask to have your red blood cell magnesium, ferritin, zinc, copper and ceruloplasim levels checked.

Low magnesium and zinc levels will affect your ability to sleep.
Low ferritin can cause fatigue. Regular blood checks for anemia can miss iron deficiency.
Low zinc affects pancreatic enzyme production which reduces your ability to absorb nutrients.
High copper inhibits zinc absorption and low zinc elevates copper levels both of which are known to be pro-cancerous and found often in breast cancer patients.

These have all been checked and followed by my naturopathic oncologist but any lab can check them, you just need someone to order the test. Understanding how to correct imbalances is best done with a practitioner of integrative medicine.
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #12
agness

Another thought, you might try Chinese Medicine to understand your fatigue more specifically to you. I have kidney qi deficiency, Qi deficiency, liver qi stagnation, blood stasis, and dampness related to my spleen. I've been working on these imbalances with acupuncture, herbs, diet, qigong, and trying to shift my attitude and ways of being.

I observed that my tongue looked bad two years ago, before I was diagnosed and knew that I had cancer. After the treatment finished my tongue looked like it was improving but then suddenly it got paler again. It turns out that a brain tumor was compromising my energy again.

If you haven't ever tried tongue diagnosis (a mainstay of western treatment in the days before all these medical tests, though without the chinese diagnosis) it is pretty revealing. Only a skilled practitioner can help you address and fully understand what is going on in your body though and how to address it. Try this tongue diagnosis tool:

http://eagleherbs.com/self-tests/tongue-diagnosis-38/
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:06 AM   #13
JessicaV

Wow Agness, you are a fountain of knowlege and wisdom. I had forgotten about good accupuncture for fatigue, but it is obvious: energy systems are the heart of the problem. I will look for a suitable local practitioner, and get those blood tests done. And I will study my tongue!
many thanks for your posts
Jessica
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
SpitFire

Jessica V - Thanks for the information. Can the fatigue and brain damage done by chemo be healed, or do you just have to learn to accept it? The doctors always asked about my hands and feet, but not my brain function.

Agness- Thanks for the blood tests. I will ask my doctor. I will also ask about my thyroid and cortisol levels. I am very fatigued, but I can't sleep. This has been going on for 2 years. I think it is very strange. Sleep would do wonders for me!
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
9/2014 Last Herceptin
Old 08-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
JessicaV

Actually, you have just reminded me to look into Cortisol, which disrupts sleep, appetite and circadian rhythms etc. I have just reread The Cortisol Connection, and think a lot of what they say is really relevent to me, maybe to you too. The point is to get your levels tested, and then to fight both your stress levels, and this chemical's effects so that you can reset it:

"Studies show an alteration in the normal secretory
pattern of cortisol. This fluctuating pattern, when normal, should
show the highest levels of cortisol in the morning, with a slow and gradual drop toward the lowest levels between midnight and 2:00A.M. (refer back to Figure 3.2 on page 45).
Stressed-out subjects with an altered pattern of cortisol secretion
are characterized by a low concentration of cortisol in the morning,the absence of a circadian rhythm, and a huge meal-related surge incortisol levels (see Figure 6.1)—all of which are consistently associatedwith obesity and related measurements. People with disrupted cortisol-secretion patterns have higher body fat (particularly in the abdomen), lower muscle mass (particularly in the arms and legs), and reduced basal metabolic rate (BMR, the number of calories burned at rest).
Elevated cortisol levels resulting from chronic stress have
been associated with the following conditions:
• Increased appetite and food cravings
• Increased body fat
• Decreased muscle mass
• Decreased bone density
• Increased anxiety
• Increased depression
• Mood swings (anger and irritability)
• Reduced libido (sex drive)
• An impaired immune response
• Memory and learning impairment
• Increased symptoms of PMS—premenstrual syndrome
(cramps, increased appetite)
• Increased menopausal side effects (hot flashes, night
sweats)

Researchers at the Institute of Psychiatry
at King’s College, in London, have determined that stressrelated
depression actually progresses in two distinct phases. The
first phase is characterized by an overexposure to cortisol, creating a
“toxic” effect whereby too much cortisol actually destroys crucial
brain cells responsible for good mood. The second phase is a compensatory
mechanism where the brain becomes resistant to the effects
of cortisol as a way to “protect” itself from cortisol’s damaging
effects. So the brain cells (neurons) are deprived of cortisol, creating
a dramatic underexposure that leads to a host of memory and
psychological problems. Unfortunately, this syndrome of cortisol resistance leads to a deepening of depression and symptoms of fatigue and confusion, a combination that is very much like the symptoms seen in people with PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder).
13 Jan

Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
JessicaV

You ask: " Can the fatigue and brain damage done by chemo be healed, or do you just have to learn to accept it?"
They used to say that we are born with all the brain cells we will ever have, but this has been found to be incorrect, and also the brain can set up new neural pathways when old ones are damaged or destroyed. Damaged cells may be repairable
Neuroplasticity explains that the brain learns to use new pathways where neuralpathways are damaged, and even to start to use different parts of the brain for functions based in damaged parts of the brain.
But that all takes energy, time and patience to build up. And can take years. So we have to learn to budget our energy and our brainpower, to spend them on the right things at the right times, and to be aware of our energy levels and our capacities in the meantime. I got myself quite sick and distressed by pushing myself too hard, too fast. I have had to go back to 3pm naps, early bedtimes, and planning my morning energy sensibly, and also making sure I have time for my pottery class each week and not just work.
13 Jan