HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Beckie

Brain mets - Thank you!

I asked for advice a few weeks ago because my doctor was reluctant to let me have a brain MRI without symptoms. Several of you said to insist on the MRI. I had the MRI last Thursday, and my doctor called on Saturday and said I have 2 small lesions. I will see the radiation oncologist this week. Thank you for your encouragement!
I am also thankful for the information and people on this site. Because of you discussing your decisions for your treatments, I feel I am prepared to have an intelligent discussion concerning my treatment. I have learned so much!
By the way, this morning I watched part of a DVD called Reflections on Psalm 23 for people with cancer. I has 13 8-minute programs, and was filmed in Israel. I very much enjoyed it. It is available at visionvideo.com. When I went for my MRI, I told the Lord that if He would be glorified by my having brain mets, I was ok with it. Knowing He is my shepherd and only wants what is best for me makes it easy to have a positive attitude, and rest in His decisions. Now I just look for the opportunities to share.
Thank you so much for being there and for the prayers I know will be coming my way. I am praying for many of you also.

Beckie

6/06 - Stage 4, Her2+++, er/pr-
Mets to lungs(largest 3 cm), liver (largest 5.5 cm), and bones
Began taxotere, herceptin, & aredia
7/06 - radiation to lower spine & left shoulder for pain
8/06 - everything smaller
12/06 - stopped taxotere (toe infections)
5/07 - bone mets advancing
6/07 - add navelbine to herceptin & aredia
6/07 - discovered brain mets (3 in cerebellum, largest 2 cm.)
7/07 - WBR, change to Tykerb/Xeloda
9/07 - targeted radiation
10/08 - started navelbine/herceptin
2/09 - brain mets - targeted radiation
5/09 - mets in liver progressing, changed to Ixempra
7/09 - mets in liver still going, to the brain again, on gemzar now
9/09 - gemzar failed, started Doxil today

I know Who holds the future, and I know He holds my hand.
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Hi Beckie,

I'm sorry that you found out you had 2 brain lesions BUT I am happy that an MRI was done and they were found. Now they can be dealt with.

I was also happy to hear of your confidence assurance in your Lord who loves you. Nothing is impossible with God and Peace only comes from Him.

My prayers for continued Peace and healing are with you Beckie.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
juanita

Just wanted to wish you well on your upcoming rads. I will keep you in my prayers!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Liz J.

Hi Beckie,

Thank the Lord you got the MRI. You were supposed to find out about this and you did. I am sorry that the lesions occured but by the Grace of God you now have the opportunity to do something about it.

Wishing you the best.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Lala

Beckie,

Hugs to you. I am glad you insisted on the Brain MRI. I can certainly understand what you are going through. I have learned the best defense in fighting brain mets is a good neurosurgeon. I had a second opinion as well. There is much to think about while making the decision for treatment. If you have any questions please send me a private message. I had two lesions in my cerebellum that were successfully treated and are no longer there.

The most important thing to remember is that Hope Lives.
God Bless
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Shell

Beckie-

I am sorry to hear your news, but am pleased that you were proactive about your treatment - I agree with the 2nd opinion suggestion and am always comforted by the knowledge of those on this board who are willing to share their experiences.

Please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
kacey

Thumbs up brain mets

Beckie, I am so glad that you insisted but sorry your gut feeling was right.
Yes, God is with us through each and every step. With His help we will get through this but what is, is. We are never alone. Bless you and I will be thinking of you as you make your decisions.

Kacey
Groshong placed 10-13-05 and chemo started
TCH x6 and continue Herceptin for one year every 3 wks
Rads x 33 (at the end of chemo) finished 4-01-06
20 months NED
kacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
StephN

Thumbs up Good for early detection ...

Sorry for your results, but the 2 spots seem very treatable.

Following your instincts and inquiring as to how to get your brain MRI is a lesson not be forgotten. Some of us stage IV fighters have done the same as you with the same results. This is the reason that this web site has as one if its tenats that brain screenings are a MUST.

It can be said that at times we are "led" down a path and that we have to go with that aiming our energy in that direction. Over the years with cancer as my constant companion, I have learned to take my instincts seriously as the message is REAL and must be understood and acted upon.

Our guardian angels do whisper to us from time to time and we just must stay open to those whisperings.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
hutchibk

Beckie - I am sorry that the MRI showed anything, but all is not lost. You are better knowing than not knowing and you are better finding it earlier and smaller than later! Please keep in mind at this time, that now that you know about the brain mets, and that they are small, you have several options open to you to eradicate them. Targeted rads for one and possibly Tykerb/Xeloda would be an option, too. Talk to your oncs in detail about everything. Ask questions that make them think and not rely on their standard answers. I have done a fair amount of research on my brain mets options and have waved my docs off of whole brain radiation for the time being. (I have 5 small punctates about the size of this period . and two 9mm spots). And it turns out that I had a good plan that is working very very well. They didn't love my idea at first, but now, 2 months later, my docs are VERY happy with results so far and are in no rush to do any rads yet. Even targeted. The Tykerb/Xeloda has caused my tumor markers to drop 20 points in 4 weeks and appears to be efficiently crossing the blood brain barrier and keeping the brain mets stable and the 2 larger ones are now "less enhanced" than they were 7 weeks ago. We were ready to pull the trigger on targeted rads if needed, and will if ever indicated, but I advocated for my idea of "watchful waiting" while the new drugs did some work. My doc is impressed with the results and wants to keep it simple and re-scan in 8 weeks. You have several options to make them go away. Good Luck, and keep asking questions!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Jean

Dear Beckie,
I am sorry to hear that your MRI showed activity.
I am keeping you in my prayers.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
Esther

Hi Beckie, I live right near you in Riverside. Where are you going for your brain mets treatment?

I chose to get my treatment from Dr. Black's team at Cedar-Sinai's Maxine Dunitz Institute.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
Beckie

Esther,
I have Kaiser insurance and go to Riverside Kaiser for chemo and really love my oncologist and the department. I go to Ontario for radiation. I went there for my back and arm last year and was very pleased with the treatment. I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon and will see what they have to offer for the brain. Yes, I will be very involved in choosing my treatment.
Hope to see you in August.
Brenda, depending on where mine are, and their size, I think the watchful waiting sounds like a very good option.
Thank you everyone for your input and your prayers.

Beckie
6/06 - Stage 4, Her2+++, er/pr-
Mets to lungs(largest 3 cm), liver (largest 5.5 cm), and bones
Began taxotere, herceptin, & aredia
7/06 - radiation to lower spine & left shoulder for pain
8/06 - everything smaller
12/06 - stopped taxotere (toe infections)
5/07 - bone mets advancing
6/07 - add navelbine to herceptin & aredia
6/07 - discovered brain mets (3 in cerebellum, largest 2 cm.)
7/07 - WBR, change to Tykerb/Xeloda
9/07 - targeted radiation
10/08 - started navelbine/herceptin
2/09 - brain mets - targeted radiation
5/09 - mets in liver progressing, changed to Ixempra
7/09 - mets in liver still going, to the brain again, on gemzar now
9/09 - gemzar failed, started Doxil today

I know Who holds the future, and I know He holds my hand.
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 AM   #13
pattyz

Brenda,

It takes 'nerves of steel' to take the approach you have to your brain mets...not to mention going against the flow of 'advice'.

I so understand as you know.

So happy to hear that you have made an impression with your good results and may you continue to have excellent response from the treatments of YOUR choice!

Yea for you!!!

hugs,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
hutchibk

The key to watchful waiting in my case was the impending Tykerb/Xeloda. Since we knew that it should efficiently cross the blood-brain barrier, we had a decent chance that it might get us somewhere with the brain mets. Also, the other key is to have MRIs often. Mine are scheduled at 6 weeks apart. If I were not switching to Ty/Xel, I would not have have asked for this approach. And my plan is to do targeted rads if the next MRI only shows stable disease and not noticible shrinkage. But at least I was able to wave them off of WBR. If things go the other direction, I will go to MD Anderson and talk to them about targeted rads in combo with Temodar, etc. But for now, we are not losing ground and are giving the drugs time to work if they're gonna. It was a calculated risk, but I also asked my docs to tell me up front if they thought it was a really bad idea, and both of them said that upon further consideration chances were very slim that we would see very much progression in such a short time, that the spots were not in dangerous places and that there was no swelling around any of them. A lot of details were taken into consideration before we all agreed that this approach was OK.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
Esther

Brenda what I admire about you is that you are making your own informed choices. That's great, whatever the future brings you, you know that you are doing what is right for you.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
Esther

Beckie, good to hear you have everything under control and you are happy with your medical team. I'm looking forward to the gathering in August, would love to meet you there.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #17
Catherine

Brain MRI

Wow, once again I am in awe of the information and support on this site. When do you ask your doctor for a brain MRI? I am a 14-month survivor and feel good. Still on Herceptin til the end of this year.

Do I need to ask for a brain MRI now. Or will I get a "feeling" of symptoms if this should occur in my body? I am stage IIb.

BECKIE,
So glad that you insisted on the MRI. Not the kind of news you wanted, but sure sounds like from our friends on the board that it is treatable. Keep up the good work of asking for the best treatment and tests available. We are all behind you.

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021

Last edited by Catherine; 06-29-2007 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: could not remember Beckie's name.
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #18
hutchibk

I had no symptoms at all. We found my mets incidentally. We had a planned MRI of a known bone spot in my neck at C3. I asked my onc if I could go ahead and get one of the brain since I would be on the table anyway. It had been 18 months since we had MRIed the brain and I wanted to be sure all was still clear. He agreed it would be prudent since we were there anyway. We are both glad that I suggested it!

I think it is becoming time (at least for mets patients...) that if our docs aren't scheduling brain MRIs at least once a year, that we must start INSISTING upon them. The key to keeping this stuff under control and giving ourselves as many options as possible is finding reoccurances as early as possible!

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~