HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
theresaw

Question Hi Everyone...

I don't know exactly how to word this, but I was wondering if you have b/c how likely is that you can get ovarion cancer. Especially if your b/c is not hormonal? Anyone????
Just carious..Thanks
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Hi,I'm not sure about this but do remember my onc saying bc and ovarian cancer are very closely linked, I was discussing having an oophorectomy and as I'm highly triple pos he may just have meant because of the high hormones etc but did'nt question him further.
Sorry I can't help more.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
PinkGirl

just bumping this up for you Theresa

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Becky

The 2 cancers are linked but the link is more familial (BRCA1 or 2 especially). The chance of ovarian cancer is rare regardless. However, it might be on your mind more if a family member had it. For example, my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer so it was definitely on my mind and was considered when I had my oophorectomy.

Hormonal status of bc might not play as much a part in ovarian cancer. Ovarian though does depend on how many lifetime menstrual cycles a woman has (much the same as hormone positive bc). With ovarian, it is the amount of times a woman has ovulated so starting to menstruate late, early menopause, many pregnancies (and nursing the babies so you don't menstruate), taking the birth control pill (of which you don't menstruate) all help. That is because the ovary must heal the wound that occurs when ovulation occurs and that wound healing (and rebuilding) can make cellular mistakes which cancer can occur. The less ovulations, the less chance for an error to occur. For ER+ bc, the more ovulations, the more high peak estrogen episodes the breasts are exposed to.

If you have any other questions, ask.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
theresaw

Question

Ok, so if I started my period when I was 11 and never missed except when preg w/my children and going thru chemo, I probably don't have to be to concerned with getting ovarian cancer. Is that what you are saying..
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

Just to let you know,THERESA -- I COVER ALL BASES. I go ev 6 mnths for a transvaginal pelvic sonogram to hear that my ovaries are beautiful. Even at my age, they can still be visualized by a good, probing Radiologist. I have to go to NY for this test as in Fla techs perform the procedure and aren't as aggessive. They claim they can't see my ovaries. You have to dig, unfortunately. A Gyn signs off on the readings here.

This leaves me feeling I have not had a thorough exam. I have no symptoms of ovarian (ie extremely bloated belly that requires draining of fluid in the hosp) but I derive comfort from this assurance. I do have sharp pain in my lower right abdomen often. So I have reason to check, for the insur co. It could be scar tissue from my tram flap reconstruction sugery.

IF I had typical symptoms of ovarian, I would insist upon a CA125 (which is abld test/tumor marker), which I know has many false positives, but that would be something I would want w/symptoms and/or something suspicious in my sono. The normal range is 0 - 35. If you are in the 100s, you have a problem. This test may not be covered by insur, yet is akin to men's PSA for prostate ca, which is covered. $75 at a GPs office, $125 at a GYNs office. Many feel it should be required as an annual mammog, an annual PAP and HPV for all women. Some well-knowns are lobbying for this for us as I type...

So, this is my method of *dealing* w/that thought you are having, which I can reate to. In my head, a hormonally driven bc is akin to a hormonally driven ovarian ca. I was ER/PR borderline to begin w/ in '95. I am now ER/PR-. I find this regular preventative procedure comforting. There is no greater compliment than -- Your ovaries look beautiful! Just IMHO...

Even if you had your ovaries removed -- you can have ovarian ca! This is astonishing but true. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be dx when in fact it is far more serious.) I have IBS, so I exhibit typical *symptoms* of ovarian regularly. I believe in TAKING CHARGE of my health care. Knowledge arms us and empowers us. I am very proactive, as a 4th stager I must be. I do not believe I am over-reacting, but want to stay on top of all possiblities.

Be well, my friends...
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
LOPSIDED

After My Breast Cancer, I Had Mets To My Ovaries. My Symptoms Were Swelling Of The Abdomen, And Feeling Full Even If I Just Ate A Small Amount. To Begin With, I Just Thought I Was Gaining Weight. My Tumors Were Very Large By The Time I Realized I Was In Trouble.
12/2007--ENLARGING LYMPH NODES IN ABDOMEN--IXEMPRA, THEN TYKERB
08/2008--COLON TUMOR--A/C AGAIN,
12/2008--ABDOMEN TUMOR--AVASTIN/NAVELBINE FEMARA
05/2009--MET TO SPINE (L2) RADS
CURRENT TREATMENT
07/2009- START ZOMETA MONTHLY, XELODA & ABRAXANE......SURVIVING THE BEST I CAN
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Cathya

I have a friend who had lobular breast cancer. She told me that this type of cancer has an increased risk of ovarian cancer associated with it. Another friend who had inflamatory bc also had her ovaries removed. Her cancer was genetic (her father also had bc) so I am not sure if it was the inflamatory bc or the genetic feature which was the driver. I was post menapausal and my onc said that I was low risk.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

Yes, Cathy. I am most unusual my onc tells me. LOBULAR. ER/PR- HER2+. 4TH STAGE W/2 NODES OUT OF 21. ALL HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE. HENCE MY PROTOCOL.

HERCEPTIN FOREVER... + EV 6 MNTH TRANSVAGINAL PELV SONO, EV 6 MNTH CT SCANS (I BEGAN AT EV 8 WKS FOR OVER A YR, THEN EV 3 MNTHS, THEN EV 4 MNTHS, SO I KEEP GRADUATING.) I HAVE HAD 2 BRAIN MRIs, SO I HAVE A BASE LINE FOR POSSIBLE NEED OF SUCH A THING (GOD FORBID A HUNDRED MILLION XXXs). CHEST/ABDOMEN/PELVIS. (TRANSVAGINAL SONO SHOWS PLACES NOT SEEN IN CT.) I'M VERY BUSY STAYING ALIVE.

I BALANCE IT ALL AS BEST I CAN W/MEDITATION, GUIDED IMAGERY, SCRIPTING MY INNER DIAGLOGUE, DEALING W/ISSUES AT THE MOMENT OF THEIR ARISING AND THEN PURGING MYSELF OF THEM. ALL DAUNTING CHALLENGES. BUT I DO MANAGE TO LIVE JOYFULLY, IN HARMONY, CONNECTED TO MY SPIRIT AND THUS MY SOURCE AND EVER GRATEFUL...

WISHING YOU ALL A DAILY JIG WITH NED. I TRY TO LIVE WITH AN OPEN HEART AND AN LISTENING EAR...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote