HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
jmihay

Brain tumor after 8 years on Herceptin

After 8 years on Herceptin, the last 2 annual PETS being NED, my first brain scan detected a brain tumor which I had eradicated with Gamma Knife. I would like to have contact with anyone who has had a similar experience.
The Gamma Knife doctor has now prescribed Brain MRIs every 3 months with a setting of 3 mm slices. My first MRI setting was set at 5 mm slices which I understand is standard, and the setting at the Gamma Knife facility in Fresno, CA was 1mm slices. He also prescribed double the usual dose of dye for contrast.

I had been told when starting Herceptin that it would not protect against brain tumors nor heart failure. I take heart tests every six months and so far, so good, but did not have an MRI to test for brain tumor for 8 years.

I would like to know what others have experienced re tumors and how often they were tested after taking Herceptin, but before finding a tumor.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has had Gamma Knife treatment and any side effects if any, particularly pains in head.
jmihay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain tumor, gamma knife