HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
unregistered

Stategies for better mental health

I go through this every few months. I have stable bone mets, have had lung mets which went away, pleural effusion which also went away, clear lung scans except for scarring. Yet I have not worked for 3 years now, a job I loved but involved heavy lifting. I have got 7 grown children but naturally they are in their own world and I wouln;t want them hovering around me anyway. My day revolves around housecleaning ( oh, I THANK God I can do it), laundry, dishes, listening to the radio---in other words it is a VERY low-stress life, to the point of almost being boring. But generally, I like "boring". I have got neuropathy of my hands and feet due to certain chemos in the past, so I am kind of lame. I should use a cane but I don't---I could get a "handicapped" sticker but I don't. I don't like being "sick". My point is that I suffer from periodic---angst, depression? I don't know what you call it. I am at loose ends, I feel lonely and I never talk of my deepest fears with anyone, not even my husband. They are so happy to see me on my feet and working around the house, you can just feel them breathing a collective sigh of relief. I am kind of crabby and distracted, like I don;t want anyone bursting my low-stress bubble, but it is little things, out of proportion, like a towel on the floor, it is really irrational. My question is this: short of taking anti-depressants, what are some statagies that I can have to make life better? I think I just need a friend who is going through this. Thanks! Susie
Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
tammymarie1971

Hi Susie, I don't think it is uncommmon to go through periods of "blueness" or whatever you want to call it...It is understandable...I wonder if you don't need the money that maybe a volunteer job might help..Maybe visting once a week to an old folks home or rocking babies that need special care in the hospital neonatal unit or reading stories to a class of kindergartners or some other special talent that you may have and want to share...I'm not saying you sound selfish...not at all.... but I know that every once and awhile I get so tired of having everything about me!!! but when I do something for someone else it makes me feel great!! and them too!!! I sure hope I didn't offend you or make light of your feelings but this might just help!!! You could also go to a vitamin store and ask about vitamins or supplements for mental well being ..I think it's B vitamins but it might be worth asking about if you want to stay away from medication...although if things don't start looking brighter for you there is nothing wrong with taking medication for it!!!!! I sure hope things brighten up for you!! I too get "down" once and awhile.
Take care Susie,
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thank you. I get caught up in this dilemma now and again. Not enough to do, even tho I sub at a bookstore once a week of so and run errands for a friend who is laid up from surgery. It's a strange thing, like something that I'm not facing. When the sun goes down I feel "blue". I have been taking desiccated liver powder for the b-vitamins. What do you think? Susie
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
fourboysmom

Wink

Hi Susie,

Unsure about the liver powder, but please know that depression and anxiety can creep up on anyone. Living with cancer can certainly take its toll. I have 4 small children and have plenty to do, but still at times feel lost and depressed. I'm not ashamed to say anti- depressants have helped so much, and they need not be forever.
Love and peace, Janet
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
Unregistered

You are absolutely not alone - its back to that meaning of life question!

On the matter of the physic I begin to feel like a cross between an old gramaphone and a snake oil salesman but its back to the omega threes and sixes. (its good for all sorts of things)

Fats are fundamental to the functiong of the human body. The brain is in a large part made up of fats, Intake of omega threes (balancing the threes and sixes) is reported as helping in all sorts of mental issues.

Check it out on the net. It will give you a challenge, is a fascinating topic, and you will be able to bore your family and friends to bits.

Keeping the brain diverted is a good strategy.

RB
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
SusanAnne

Cognitive Therapy

I was feeling the same way so I tried a couple of things. I went back to my part time job (2x/wk) to get out of the house. I also tried eating better. Another big help for depression is exercise! After trying it all for a good six months I decided I needed more guidance. I discovered Cognitive therapy. I highly recommend it. I knew lots of other women who have been going to therapists and going and going ......I didn't want that. Cognitive therapy teaches you how to recognize the distortions in your thoughts and replace the depressive thoughts with new more appropriate ones. I've had only about 7 visits and already feel sooooo much better. And when you're done, you carry with you the tools to use for the rest of your life.

Best of luck,
Susan
SusanAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
michele u

Susie,
Low impact exercise i think is the ticket for you. Walk for 30 min, not fast, just walk the whole time. Do this 3-4 times a week. This is help your immune system,help your heart, decrease your recurrence risk,you may lose weight, and you will produce those "good feeling" hormones along with everything else. Heh,you can't lose
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
Lolly

Hi Susie; as far as needing a friend who's going through this, that's what many of us find most gratifying about this board, we can post here anytime on any subject, and someone who's been there, done that is bound to be listening. As the song says, "you've got a friend!"

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 AM   #9
jhandley

Smile Things that help

Hi Susie
two things that I have found help to keep the blues at bay. Co-enzyme Q10 100 mg a day with food (at larger doses it has been reported to have anticancer effects 300-400 mg but it is quite expensive,also good for heart, skin,teeth and gums) and flaxseed oil 1 tablespoon mixed with skim milk and a bit of honey over 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal and some chopped fruit. I dont know if it is the oil (omega 3) or the flaxseed meal (downregulates her2 overexpression by 70%) but I definitely feel a difference. I also strugggled with being a survivor and found it was very difficult. You cant go back to your old life because your priorities have changed and you know what is really important. I find that interaction with people is very important for "feel good". I have joined two clubs to meet new people and set myself goals to achieve with the next few months.
Hope this helps
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 AM   #10
Unregistered

Flax seed is reported as working at lots of levels - flax seed oil is high in omega three and low in six;
Palmitic 3 Stearic 7 Oleic 21 linoliec 16 (omega six) Alpha-linolinic 53(omega three)

It is also reported as good at helping elimination both for roughage and because of the sticky nature of its coating....

It is also reported as containing soluable lignands which I keep seeing suggested as forming part of the bodies cellular functions, an all round plus it seems - interestigly some other small seed sources are also reported positively...

But as usual look it up for yourself if you have time on google NCBI etc.

RB
Old 12-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #11
lu ann

Dear Susie,

I find that I am most depressed in the morning when I wake up and realize that I am all alone in this house. I used to love being alone when everyone went to school/work. I would accomplish so much. Now I use the excuse that the effort will cause me pain as I have a compression fracture in my back and if I over-do, I suffer. I have found that I just need to make a goal for the day that is attainable so I feel a sence of accomplishment. I started taking paxil, which is an anti-depressent. It has really helped. I think I would benefit by doing some volunteer work. It helps you get your thoughts outside of yourself. Take care and if you want you can e-mail me at ludysmith@yahoo.com.

Blessings, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
Sherry in WV

Red face feel the same

I have and do often seem the same way. I know how you feel. I have neuropathy in my legs and feet. Also get tired easily. My kids are also tied up in their lives. They keep in touch, but they live away from here and I never let them know how bad it is sometimes. My husband is the greatest, but he is having a hard time handling the idea that I may not be there some day.
Hang in there. I listen to music or watch a comedy video if I get too down.
Sometimes that really helps. Take care and hang in there.
Sherry
Sherry in WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Unregistered

MORE on fats importance omega three to brain function etc.

Fats balance is key to mental health.

Here is an interesting link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...327&query_hl=1

RB