HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 AM   #1
Patty H

I started a taxotere carbo her combo in Dec. I had 2 weeks on the combo and 2 weeks with just herceptin and some zometa. I had the combo again in Jan. I had ask my Dr. if I would loose my hair, he said YES! I haven't lost my hair,a little
thinning but that's all.I know that chemo works by stopping fast growing cells. Hair is a fast growing cell.Now I wonder if this means the combo isn't working since I didn't loose my hair. Anybody on this combo hair or no hair? Patty H
Old 01-19-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
Linda in MI.

Hi Patty,

I have been on this combo. since the end of JUne. I had decided to do the weekly treatments instead of once every 3 weeks because it's less toxic, easier to deal with side effects, and I had read that studies have been done that it is more effective. But, right before my first treatment I was getting ready to go out of town and I had a lot of details to deal with so I decided to have the 3 week dose for the first treatment only. Well, I lost most but not all of my hair---extremely thin to where I had to start wearing hats and still am.

THEN, just recently I found out if I would not have done that one time three week dose I would probably still have my hair---may have thinned a little but not so anyone would notice. Just the thought that I could have my hair right now sure does make me mad....GRRRRRRR. I sure wish my onc would have mentioned it!!

ANyway, I'm dealing with it and hopefully my hair will be back soon.

So.....enjoy styling your hair every day. I don't think this means your treatment is not working.

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
Sandy

I am on Taxol, carbo and Herceptin. Almost the same combo and its weekly. Was told my hair would only thin. I was told the same thing that Linda told you. Less toxic, easier to tolerate and works better. Its my understanding that because you don't loose your hair does not mean its not working. I know what you are feeling because, I felt the very same way. I am still a little nerveous about it. The longer we are on it the thinner the hair can get is my understanding. Lots of the patients I see in oncology do have very thin hair. I would want to wear a wig. Hope this helps. Hugs, Sandy
Old 01-19-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Terri

I was also on the taxol, carbo herceptin trio for 5 months. I did not lose all my hair but it got thin. My tumor markers went from 230 to 15. So it worked for me, and I still have hair. I've been on Herceptin only for 4 months, and so far so good. And the hair is filling in. Good luck.
Terri
Old 01-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #5
jessica

Everyone is different!When you do the dose-dense regimen, it takes a little longer to the toxicity to accumulate...I was on weekly tx, & my hair started thinning after about 5 weeks.It took an additional 4 weeks or so before it had thinned so much that I buzzed it off.So I guess technically, my hair thinned, but it wasn't really normal hair.I was on tx for 49 weeks and went through cycles of being bald and super bald, and I did have some hair, but nothing presentable.I was also told that hair loss (or any toxicity)does NOT correlate to efficacy of treatment.
I remember the fear I felt about losing my hair...it was greater than once it was finally gone.I'm NED now, and in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather be NED & bald.Regardless, I dread the potential that I may have to go back on tx one day and will potentially lose my hair again.
Take good care of yourself and keep the faith!
Jessica