HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Chelee

Who gained weight & who lost?

This is kind of like a un-official poll. lol But I have read more people say they gained weight on chemo or herceptin. I don't care if its either or...I am just curious as to how many here gained or lost since their journey with bc started?

Myself, the minute I was DX that was a INSTANT diet. I was stressed and scared out of my mine so it was hard to eat. So I started losing then. But then chemo started and with the Taxotere, Carbpotin it destroyed my taste buds. I had to force myself it eat...and such small amounts. Everything tasted terrible as you all know. That first week after a fully cycle of chemo...its impossible to eat for me. After about 7 or 8 days it got a little easier. I don't think the herceptin bothers my appetite at all. When I have weekly herceptin I have no problems eating.

But since this nightmare started I have lost 32 pounds. I seem to be holding at that amount. Can't lose anymore. Although I am concerned when they start me on Femara I will start gaining?

But who here has gained...and who has lost? And do you think its just a change in what your eating due to the affects of chemo? I sometimes that might play a large part in gaining because all the normal foods you once loved now taste bad. So we end up eating anything that we can get by our taste buds.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Sandy H

I have gained about 25 pounds over a 5 year period. Now, several things. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I am now 59 years old so I am in that age group where the body does slow down. I have to eat frequently to keep my energy up and not feel sick because I do have fibromalgia. I think for me chemo Taxol, carboplatin and herceptin is what I have had mostly has caused me to gain this weight. I really don't know the answer here or how anyone can know. I think you will find some has gained and some have lost. Who will or who won't is anyone's guess. I have not tried to figure it out am just thankful to still be alive. hugs, Sandy

Last edited by Sandy H; 06-26-2006 at 05:04 PM..
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Becky

I lost 25 lbs during chemo and another 12 after that (during Herceptin and Arimidex). I am down almost 40 lbs. I work to stay there now because I look and feel good.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
TriciaK

I have lost 55 pounds, mostly in the first 8 or 9 months since my her2 diagnosis 2 years ago, and haven't gained any back, though I am now able to eat anything I want. It's just that I lost all taste for sweets, and seem to be able to eat only small amounts at a time. I too have fibromyalgia and lots of pain. I was on navelbine and herceptin the first 6 months, then just herceptin for 9 more months, though I have taken femara from the first also. Am now NED. I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to why some people gain and some lose! This is an interesting survey and I hope it gives us a clue! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Unregistered

I lost weight during chemo (about 20 pounds) although I was never nauseated - things just didn't taste that good. Now, however, I have a terrible sweet tooth and have gained about 10 of those uneeded/unwanted pounds back.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
tousled1

Smile Oops

Sorry, I forgot to log in!!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Berta

I gained 20 lbs during chemo. Lost it between chemo and herceptin and have gained it back on herceptin. I don't know how representative I am because I have always been heavy and had just lost 40 lbs prior to diagnosis. BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
chrisy

Chelee,
Like you, I was so shocked by my diagnosis that I lost 6 lbs in one week! Not eating anything and living in a state of shock will do that to you. Once I started chemo (Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin) in Oct 2002 I maintained for a little while but after a couple of months I started gaining, a total of about 18 lbs over the course of the year. I didn't have any nausea and found I could eat pretty regular - but I stopped working out! My doc told me the premeds cause a lot of weight gain. Now I'm back down to about where I began - and working to lose another 15 or so lbs in a rational way! I've been on Herceptin alone for about a year, and haven't experienced any more unearned weight gain from that. YOu will feel much better once you're off the "hard stuff" and be able to get back to some sense of normalcy and maintain yourself at a healthy weight. Good luck - and hang in there!
Chris
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
StephN

Wink Thin or overweight at dx?

I think part of the key to this question is whether we were fairly stable and in a good range when we were diagnosed.
never was over 128 in my life prior to dx. The pounds crept on during treatment mainly because of decadron I think. My mets came very soon after initial treatment and this did not help with the weight as I had to have the same premed, but a lower dose.

Age is the other big factor and how our metabolism is doing with the hormone changes.
I now weight in the 140- 143 range - and fight hard to keep that number.

Fatigue and lowered activity level is the other main factor off the top of my head. Just not enough "get up and go" in the tank. Flab happens then.

The only time I lost weight was when I was on higher dose of Decadron for the brain mets - high enough to buzz me up and interrupt my sleep. That is because the drug is muscle wasting in that dose.
I have taken Herceptin now for 4 years and this does not seem to affect my weight.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
Bev

Started out in normal range but heavier than I had been when younger. Diagnosis made me lose my appetite and 10#. During AC I weighed myself often and would eat high calorie foods whenever my weight went down. Gained 8# during taxol and premeds. Lost a couple during rads. My weight has stabilized during the Herceptin and tamoxifen stage. I'm hoping that I don't balloon when I switch to an AI.
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #11
bobbiw

Well I lost 75 pounds with diet and exercise in 2003 and maintained it until I was diagnosed in October 2005. I have only gained about 5 pounds since my diagnosis but I barely exercise (just dont have the energy) and have found that the wobbly skin has just appeared out of no where! Of course I am almost 50 so it is the age I guess as well huh?
Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
astrid

I lost 15 pounds since diagnosis. I think I have stabilized and want to stay at this weight. I just started herceptin and Tamoxifen and go back to work today soooo. I fear the weight will come back. I will not be able to be as active back at work as I was during disability. I really think the improved diet has made me loose the weight.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #13
panicked911

weight gain/loss

I have gained 10 pounds sinc starting treatment in Novemeber - hrceptain and lupron - either of it could have done it but who knows. No matter how much I diet can't get rid of it - I amin the gym 5x a week and also walk - still nothing - As a vegetarian I eat lots of fruits and veggies and fish . SMall amount so of sweets and almost no fired foods ( an occassional french fry) - makesno sense has to be the meds. Onc said to join weight watchers.
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #14
Unregistered

I have been a yo-yo dieter since my teens so I had issues with weight before the diagnosis. I also have a sweet tooth. I lost 20 pounds with adriamycin and had to take a month off between A/C and taxol treatments. I started to gain during that month. The doctor told me not to worry about food, and if ice cream helps me get through treatment, eat ice cream. I took that as a Green Light. I've gained the 20 lost pounds back and about 20 more. Practically all food for me is comfort food. I'm getting radiation now and don't want to push myself, but I know I will have to start changing my diet soon. MJo
Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #15
Andi

I lost about 4-5 lbs during my lumpectomy and remained about the same through out my chemo. During my dose dense a/c I got along with my first one so well that my onc said I could try cutting the steroids that they gave me to take the first days following, I was able to get by with half of the original amount. When I began the taxol and herceptin (weekly) after I got along with the first treatment, he cut the premed steroid in half for the rest of my infusions. I would be so hungry for the first couple of days after these treatments that I could never get full. He also said that exercise was the best fatique fighter so if I could handle it to try and not become a couch potato. I had a treadmill at home and started with that and worked myself up to 3-4 miles. He told me that during chemo was not a time to try and lose weight, but I was fortunate that I remained the same and did not gain. He said that many women gain weight during their chemo. I am now on herceptin every three weeks and still have a couple of hungry days following my infusions. I eat a pretty healthy diet and am getting plenty of exercise (I'm training for the 3 day in Arizona in November with my daughter).but feel that right now if I didn't kind of watch things I would put weight on pretty easily. I am also taking tamoxifen, and I don't know if that has anything to do with weight issues.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #16
Unregistered

I was about 115lbs before diagnosis and once I was diagnosed, I think the combination of dx and tx I lost about 9lbs. Now with Herceptin only, I am back up to 115 - 118lbs.

Karen
Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #17
sarah

I was 125lbs until 1st time around and after 2nd time around and during chemo I gained 15lbs. Most of my adult life I weighed between 108 and 115 so at 140 I feel odd. I'm 5'6" - I've never dieted in my life and not sure I have the will power for dieting. I'm still hanging on to my clothes in the hope I'll lose some of this weight but it's looking more doubtful. Still I think we're all just happy to be here! Interesting that some lost and some gained. I wonder why. I feel my metabolism has never really picked up again.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #18
Barbara

Weight Gain or Loss

Hi:

I weighed 136 at the time of diagnosis and lost 21 pounds with A/C and Taxol. I have since gained and now weigh around 123 lbs which is less than I weighed at the time of diagnosis. I have been on Herceptin for two years and don't know if that is the reason I gained some weight back or if it is what I eat and how much exercise I get.

Barb
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #19
Lee

I stayed relatively the same.

I maybe lost 2-3 lbs during chemo, and now that I'm just on herceptin and really watching what I eat & exercise, I've lost another 10 lbs or so.

I started out about 15 lbs overweight, so I'm pretty close to where I'd like to be.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #20
Unregistered

Stayed the same

I started at 165 and stayed there for the whole year. I was 30lbs over weight when I started, I was going through menopause so I think that plus the bc was what made me gain so much. I pray once meno is over that the weight will come off.

RAndi