HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Mary H2

Five Year Anniversary, NED

Although I have been reading this board almost since it was created, I don't very often post. I'm posting today because I made a promise to myself that if I was fortunate to survive this disease, I would try to offer inspiration to others. I vividly remember scouring the internet looking for "positive" stories when I was first diagnosed. I remember not being able to find any long term survival stories from Her2+ women. And it scared the $#*^ out of me.

I was diagnosed five years ago at the age of 42. I had a 15 month old baby, and found the lump when I was weaning her. My other children were 11 and 14. I had a left MRM, and they discovered one positive lymph node. I was Er/Pr-, but they didn't test for Her2 status back then. My surgeon just knew that my cancer was very aggressive, and wasn't overly optimistic about my future. When she gave me the bad news I remember asking her if I would live. "I hope so" is all she offered. Fortunately, the oncologist she referred me to had recently received information about the national adjuvant clinical trial. He didn't know if I was her2+ or not, but when I told him I'd be willing to try it if I was, he had my tumor retested. Then I went home and read the details about the clinical trial (including the reality that I only had a 50/50 chance of getting herceptin) and I really started to freak. I somehow knew that I had to get this drug, and began a frantic search to figure out how I could do that if I didn't get randomized. After a trip to a major cancer center and phone calls to research hospitals 300 miles who were also beginning adjuvant clinical trials, my husband and I decided that we would mortgage everything we had to get to 50K+ per year it would cost if I could somehow get herceptin off-label if I ended up not being randomized to herceptin in any of the trials.

And then I got the phone call from my lonc telling me I had been randomized to herceptin in the local trial. I could tell from his voice that he was as happy as I was. And the rest, as they say, is history.

My trial consisted of A/C x 4, taxol + herceptin x 4, and herceptin weekly for another 48 weeks. I remember crying the week of my last herceptin treatment, because it had become my safety net and back then we didn't even know if it was going to prove effective. I didn't know how to handle the uncertainty of the future. But then someone gave me some of the best advise I ever got in my life: fill your life with passion, find what it is that you really love and just do that. Don't fill your life with fear. I tried a few different things, prayed a lot for inspiration, and finally realized that my goal in life is to help suffering children. I already had a Master's Degree in early childhood special education and had been working with very vulnerable young children but decided I wanted to move it to a new level and decided to pursue another Master's Degree in Social Work. After three years of year round study, I will be graduating in eight months. I'll never make a ton of money at it, but it gives total meaning to my life.

My 15 month old is now 6 and entering first grade. I never thought I'd live to see her go to kindegarten. My most overwhelming fear through the early days and months of my diagnosis was that I wouldn't even live long enough for her to remember a mother's love. Many times in the first weeks I could not even bear to look at her because of this fear. Now she is one of the brightest lights in my life. My oldest daughter is entering her junior year of college. I remember praying that I would be alive and healthy enough to see her graduate from high school. My son who was 11 when I was diagnosed will be a senior in high school, and has appears to be gifted musician. It hasn't been easy these past five years--both my older kids had some signficant delayed reactions to the cancer that kept me running back and forth to counselors with them. But they're both happy and doing well now.

I'll never forget the night I learned about the results of the adjuvant herceptin trials. It was in May of 2005. For some reason I couldn't sleep, so I got up and logged on to the computer. I might have visited this site. Then I listened to the webcast where they announced the results. I was so stunned I couldn't move, and then cried for the next two days. I remember seeing my onc for a 6 month check up a few weeks later. Turned out he was at the ASCO convention and was sitting in the room when they announced they results. He's a pretty practical low key guy, but I'll never forget him looking at me and saying "You know, sometimes the stars are lined up perfectly in the universe". I knew exactly what he meant, and I will never cease to be filled with gratitude for my opportunity to participate in that groundbreaking study.

I wish you all the best. Find your passion, however big or small, and never give up hope.

Mary
Mary H2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Cathya

Mary;

Thank you for such an inspirational post. Your story is one I will remember and take to heart. Bless you for remembering to celebrate your five years here so we can all receive your wonderful words of advice. Thank you.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
Chelee

Mary, I for one really appreciate you taking the time to share your story with us. So many of us here really need to hear from people like you. We can ALWAYS use more positive stories here.

I know pretty much how scared you must of been when first DX...and here you are watching your SIX year old daughter growing up. That is AWESOME.

I am so happy for you. Once again...thanks for sharing that with us.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Bev

Congratulations, I hope we can all repeat your success.
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
michele u

Mary, Wow, that's awesome. Your story sounds soooo much like mine. All the same feeling's and fears. I remember crying the day i found out about the trials too. We are all in this together. We all are connected by this disease. We all are here for eachother! congratulations on your 5 year!! I'm celebrating my 3rd year this month. I had 35 positive nodes!!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #6
Sheila

Mary

Congratulations...5 years NED...thats better than winning the lottery in my book! May your NED continue for many many more...Celebrate, you are an inspiration for many of us trying to get to that mark!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
Berta

Mary: Awesome Story. Thanks for sharing. BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
MJo

Thank you

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ... and thank you. Best of health to you, MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
tousled1

Mary,

Congratulations on being NED for five years. Also, thank you for sharing with us here on the board. It's always so good to hear an inspirational story like yours. May you continue to be NED for another 10 years.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
saleboat

Thank you for logging on and sharing your story. It means so much to all of us.

And Michele-- wow, you're almost at three years, that is fantastic. You're really an inspiration for us double-digit node ladies.

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
Audrey

Mary, Congratulations on your anniversary and thanks for sharing your story!

I am also celebrating 5 years NED--my story is so similar to yours--diagnosed at 36 with 2 young children (3 and 5), large, aggressive tumor, many positive nodes, etc. The oncologist was not encouraging at all. I feel so grateful to have received Herceptin through the clinical trial--I remember also how happy I was to find this website and connect with others going through the same thing. Now I'm 41 and my kids are almost 9 and 11! Still hoping to reach 50 and see them graduate...Just think, now Herceptin is standard treatment for newly diagnosed Her2+ patients and they can breathe a little easier now knowing that in many cases, it really works wonders! Don't give up hope, we are truly rewriting the survival statistics for this disease.
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
tricia keegan

Smile Congratulations Mary & Audrey!

Mary your story is amazing and I almost had shed tears reading it.Thank you so very very much for posting this as it was exactly what I needed to hear.I had the same chemo/herceptin as you having been dx last June.My surgeon on giving me the bad news then told me I was a very lucky lady as there was a new drug just out which was probably going to save my life! I did'nt know then of course how grateful I would become to herceptin and the difference it would mean to my type of cancer.I finish my years herceptin in Nov but have'nt heard from anyone that did'nt have a spread or mets somewhere after a few years.You've just given me new hope that it is possible and I may be one of the lucky ones.Thank you again and also Audrey congrats to you too!Two great inspiring stories within minutes!!
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
emmasmom

Mary - Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am crying with joy reading your story. It is such an inspiration and gives me so much hope. I am 35 and have a wonderful 2 1/2 year that I am determined to see graduate college. You story is truly inspirational!

Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
dawn

Mary,

Thank you so much for your post. I didn't realize it until I read yours, but I did the same thing. I was on the internet day and night looking for positive stories and long term survival. You make the days seem so much birghter, and help me to realize that I will see my young children grow and do things I thought I would miss.
Congradulations on your five years and many more to come.

Dawn

Mar 2006Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 8 of 18 pos 03/14/06: Mastectomy 04/19/06 started Chemo adriamycin, chlophosphamide, taxotere 25 rads
Nov 1, 06: 3 years Tamoxifen, Herceptin (1yr)
Jan 2009 Femara mets to bone aromasin and aredia
June2009: Full Histerectomy
2/22/2010 6 spots in liver 2 mm-10 mm: switched to xeloda and Herceptin will continue with Aredia J
Scan February 2011 new onc, switch to abraxane
April 2011 NED clear organs, 3 spots on bone scar tissue.
Scans August 2mm spot on liver and lungs. now on to tykerb/xeloda
Dec 2011 scans nothing on lungs, liver down to 1 2 mm spot. j
une 2012 another spot on liver on to cisplatin/gemzar.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
CLTann

Mary,

Allow me to join others in congratulating you for the remarkable 5 year NED. Your story gives rest of us a boost in our morale and hope. We need more people like you to come forward and claim their deserved accolade.

Wish your continuing success.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
madubois63

Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for being a pioneer for all of us!!!
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
mamacze

Smile Another trailblazing goddess!

Dear Mary,
I remember doing the same thing the weeks, months after I was diagnosed with mets to the lungs in 2004; praying; "Please God, just one or two long term survivor stories". Thank you for sharing the gift of your story with the rest of us. And how grateful we are that you were on the receiving end of the Herceptin; it is stories from pioneers like you that keep the rest of us going..
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:10 AM   #18
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Thumbs up Such Good News Mary

Your story is a GOOD one and so good to hear. Congrats on your 5 years and keep them coming my dear.

I was diagnosed in 1996 and every day I would pray to see my grandchildren grow up, see next Christmas come (my favorite time of the year and big in our family), see my new front door put in, etc, etc,....well

here I am 10 1/2 years later (and I still do the same thing everyday)but everyday is a great day.

You keep up the good work girl and take care.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #19
Unregistered

Mary-

Congratulations on your NED status, and we appreciate your being a trailblazer- and thank you for the uplifting words and encouraging news...

Take care,
Shell
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #20
lkc Gumby

Mary ,

Thank you for posting. It was so wonderful to read about your success. I gives all of us such hope, and it was so kind of you to remember us ;that are new to this BC HER positive thing.
Many, many many more years to you and all of us!!
Linda
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote