HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Vanessa

Weight Gain

I know that steriods cause weight gain as well as some chemotherapies and I am also aware as most people tell me that weight gain is the least of my worries, but I have gained 25 lbs. since I started chemo and Herceptin on June 15th of this year. Has anyone else gained that much weight and how do you deal with it. I feel hungry all of the time and I feel like a stuffed turkey. Again, I know that this is somewhat of a vain question, but I know gaining a bunch of weight can't be good for my health. Anyone else battling this problem?
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Berta

I gained a lot of weight! I put on about 25 pounds during chemo, took it off and put about 40 on during herceptin. I'm struggling now to get that off. I was on weight watchers when all of this started and the doctor told me to go off of it. I think that was a mistake as WW is a much healthier diet than I eat if I am not on the program but at any rate, the meds were worth the weight and hopefully, I'll get it off.BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
chrisy

I gained about 18 lbs during chemo and am still working on getting back to where I started (plus another about 15 lbs). My doctor said I was "lucky" as most women gain far more. OUCH! I was quite active for the first few months, walked over a mile daily, then as the time wore on, weather got worse, I got more fatigued, I didn't keep up with that program. So if you are able, try to keep as active as possible while still respecting what your body is telling you about overdoing it.

The other thing I did is I asked to have the dose of steroids reduced, which my doctor did, this may have contributed to my "good luck" of not gaining more! You might try this.

My "guru onc" told me, the old stereotype of losing a lot of weight on chemo was because they couldn't control the nausea OR the cancer! That put it in perspective for me.

True, it is in your best interest to be at a healthy weight, this applies whether or not you are getting chemo or fighting cancer. So do the best you can to stay active and eat "right" - which will help you in many ways. At the same time, don't forget you are going through a lot so be gentle with yourself.

Good luck and take care
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
janet/FL

I didn't gain weight with Taxotere/Herceptin, but when I went on Herceptin alone, I have gained 15 pounds! Now, I think I have an explination. I was too scared to eat and was very nevoursly hyper-active while on the steriods. Always moving around. I started eating more and moving less with just Hercepin--and now that I am off Herceptin, I have continuted to eat and have none of that nervous energy I had with steriods. So that accounts for the weight gain. Prior to diagnosis I was on Atkins, and had no breads or beans, etc. Now, I am enjoying these tremedously and it shows!
LOL
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
Bev

Hi Vanessa, Do a search on this site. We had a thread going a few months ago. The weight gain varies by individual and drugs used. I know the steroids made my stomach growl like crazy, even after I had been eating for 20 minutes. It made my kids laugh. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
Yorkiegirl

I lost while on Chemo, but then when I was on Herceptin alone I put about 20 pounds on. I finished my year of Herceptin last week, and am so hoping it will come off. I also have just started WW, and hope this will help as well.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 AM   #7
sarah

I gained 15 lbs while on Taxol and Herceptin, so far haven't lost it also still not back to former energy and have trouble climbing up even small hills - stil on Herceptin but nearly 2 years since Taxol stopped.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 AM   #8
RhondaH

Ditto...

When I was first dx, I began the Breast Cancer diet and lost 40 lbs. Only had 10 more to my goal, THEN, I bought a house 6 mo after starting Herceptin. Through all the renovating, meeting people to to work on the house, packing, moving, packing up my dads house, blah, blah, blah, we tended to eat out more AND because I was up later at night dealing with all this, haven't been walking as I should so I put 20 back on. While I've made healthier choices when we would eat out, the food STILL is not as healthy as eating at home (and since I had a salad for lunch AND was so hungry from all the work, tended to eat a little more). That being said, finished Herceptin 8/10, got my port out 9/1 and am "weaning" myself into requiring less sleep and walking a little more each week. The diet got back to normal in May, but not working out like I should, the pounds have remained. Good luck. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 AM   #9
koolbreeze

Vanessa, while I was on the steroids with my chemo, I maintained my weight even though I was not eating hardly anything at all. Then when I went off the Taxol and steroids, I started dropping weight like crazy...about 30 lbs in two months. Then once my system adjusted, food started tasting better again, and I went back to my old poor eating habits, I have regained the weight. Now my onc is on me to lose weight. So the battle of the bulge continues............................ big sigh. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
geraldine

Post Overweight and unhappy

Hi Vanessa,

Like you and a lot on this site, I put on a lot of weight (approx. 30 lbs) and
when people say it doesn,t matter as long as we are here, I just agree but deep down...!.. it does matter to me.

I have never carried a lot of weight, except during pregnancies and now that I am on Herceptin only and NED, I dont want this excess fat...but moving it is proving difficult.

My thyroid shut down completely while I was on theTaxotere clinical trial, 5yrs ago and I know that this and Herceptin are both contributary factors, Oh, and I haven't forgotten my age, I'm 54 and gravity has been helped along the way, with treatment...!

I am a very active person, I run a bar, so I am on my feet for a great part of the day but nothing will budge this FAT.....maybe when the herceptin stops...........!

Worrying about my weight may be a sign that I am better and have nothing else to worry about, who knows.

Anyway, good luck for the future and may your dreams be thinner ones..

God Bless
Geraldine

God Bless
Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
Joe
Webmaster

Vanessa,

Christine experienced both weight gain and diabetes from Decodron, which I am assuming was the steroid that you were taking.

Since then, she has joined a local walking group which walks about 5 km 3 mornings a week and closely monitors her blood sugar. She also checks the sugar content of all foods that she purchases.

She is now down to her pre-decadron weight and has reduced her diabetes medicine by 75% and is doing quite well.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
tousled1

Vanessa,

When I was on A/C I lost weight (about 25 lbs) then when I was on the Taxatore with Decadron as a pre-med I gained about 15lbs, so I'm just about where I started. I don't worry about my weight as I feel it is a small price to pay for fighting this disease.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Patty H

I gained 10 lbs from the first treatments which also threw me into menpause. After the treatments were over, I came out of menopause and lost most of the weight. The next time I was put back on chemo I gained it back and I never came back out of menopause. So I figure some of the weight is from that, since it is all around my middle. I was not over wieght when I started and my doctors say I look better with the weight. Bull! I know a lot of it is my faught. I used to go to the gym twice a week and walk twice a week. I tried to keep it up but after being put on different chemo's over and over. I just didn't feel I could do it anymore, so I have lost all my muscle I used to have. I am still trying to walk, but between age and chemo it's really hard to keep up. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
Ora

I Gained

I've been overweight most of my adult life - up & down, and the only good thing I hoped I would get from having cancer was losing some weight. I gained 30 lbs which I found out wasn't unusual. I'm only on my 2nd Herceptin treatment and have 2 years of it left, so I'm really depressed about it. Actually, the way I found my lump was that I had lost 20 lbs and my breasts were softer and more sensitive to feeling. I am worried because Herceptin causes heart problems as does obesity so I have a double whammy. I've gone back on Atkins & lost 8 lbs and am strong enough now to exercise & walk more on a regular basis. This last year, it's been all I can do to make it to work in the morning. Also, I take ambien and I have woke up at night starving to death which I blame on the ambien. Who said life's fair!
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Vanessa

Smile

Thanks for all of the wonderful feedback. I was eating very healthy before the steriods, but I have slipped back into eating sugars and starches. I crave potatoes. I am still juicing and eating lots of fruits and vegetables. I am also beginning to increase my physical activity, very slowly. I guess I should also have my thyroid rechecked and see if I am on the right dosage of Armour thyroid. I have often wondered what chemo might do to my thyroid. Thanks again for all of your feedback.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #16
juanita

I gained weight and my doc told me since I'm in chemopause it would be harder to lose the weight now. Boy he ain't a kidding. I do still feel hungry (ravenous-sp?) but try to ignore it most of the time.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #17
Vanessa

I feel pretty ravenou all of the time, also. When I try to ignore it during the day, I end up pigging out at night. I also need to start exercising more, but like others, I just don't have much energy. I was also working out before I found out I had bc. I really need to start small and work up to at least walking a mile each day. But that will take a while. In the meantime, I am trying to eat healthy, but sometimes my sweet tooth gets in the way.