HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
rhondalea

Re: Affordable Care Act

Without a doubt, it wasn't Anthem. That's what she had before the ACA went into effect, and Anthem drove her crazy. (Interestingly, I too have Anthem, but my plan is so different from hers that it's like dealing with an entirely different company.)

I don't know much more than that, except that her premiums went down, as did her deductible.

Edited to add: Good luck. Navigating all these changes has to be a nightmare.
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
sassy

Exclamation Re: Affordable Care Act

This is a very important topic which I hope can continue to be discussed in an appropriate manner.

Not only am I concerned about the effect of the Affordable Care Act for myself, but as the HR administrator for my place of business, it is my responsibility to gather as much information as possible for both the employer and the employee. This shared information of what others have experienced and continue to experience is of great value. I am sure many on this site can benefit from a civil discussion of the topic.

When major changes occur that have a significant impact on individuals, such as the Affordable Care Act, it is easy to assign blame and frustration to whomever one determines appears to be the cause, be it government or individuals. In such a charged climate, sharing of opinions on private business (insurance companies, employers, etc.), government entities, political parties and personalities, and individuals can become a source of contention and should be divorced from the discussion. Attacks on the perceived opinions of others should also remain mute.

I join Becky in asking for a continued civil discussion of this topic for the benefit of all. Those who are averse to the topic, or who cannot refrain from personal opinion attacks are asked to simply refrain from participating in the thread.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!

Last edited by Posts; 12-28-2013 at 09:41 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #23
norkdo

Re: "Affordable" Care Act LOL

Rereading the comments and cannot find the uncivil ones everyone is referring to. Were they censored out?

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
MikeF

I edited my original post to accurately refer to Washington as a whole. My intentions were never to debate political preference but to get a feel for how our situation compares to others on this site. It appears to us that if anything was accomplished with this law it was to raise premiums across the board. The last thing Barb and I need at this point is more money going out. I guess I really need someone knowledgeable to explain why doubling my premium was necessary. My impression is as soon as government offered subsidies for anyone paying 9.5 % or more of their gross income the whole insurance industry raised premiums to 9.5 % of the average american income.
Radiation to spine
10/23/10StartNavelbine
11/19/10 Port installed
11/22/10 Started 2nd cycle
1/10/11 Finished 2nd cycle
1/24/11 Herceptin Only
3/7/11 progression, start Taxol/Herceptin
4/18/11 Skin mets appear increase treatments to weekly
rash spreads to right breast
7/5/11 enroll in TDM-1 study
7/29/11 randomly assigned Tykerb drop out of trial and start Tykerb /Herceptin no Xeloda skin mets gone Tykerb working
1/31/12 Skin mets return add Xeloda
5/9/12 Stop Tykerb skin mets back
5/17/12 Return to Navelbine/Herceptin
6/26/12 start process for TDM-1 compassionate access
8/28/12 Start TDM-1
10/9/12 third TDM-1 no response yet
10/23/12 Start Haloven
1/17/12 Start Perjeta/ Herceptin/Taxotere
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
karen z

Actually Norkdo, attacks on those who replied in a civil manner but questioned horribly non-civil attacks were primarily censored out- along with another's comments defending the person who disagreed with non-civil and inaccurate attacks (hooray for free speech for some). Thank God we are now being civil but (oh oh) we still have a frowny face, the word affordable in quotes (gosh, I don't quite think that is the actual name of the legislation) and also the LOL thing- (let's all laugh at legislation that was passed and upheld by the highest court in the land) in the name of this important thread. Very sad when accurate comments are removed but others not. PC is alive and well (but unidirectional).
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
karen z

I have been thinking about the deterioration that would allow a hugely political discussion (to ignore that is to ignore hours and hours of extensive news coverage daily) to continue, when I believe it was not Joe and Christine's wishes for this particular site (there are many political hack sites around to waste one's time on). And to leave "up" derogatory comments or symbols about President Obama (actually, it occurred to me that many probably didn't even consciously notice these derogatory signs as such IF the signs fit one's own views- as a Ph.D. in psychology I am all too aware of how these cognitive processes work). However, to have one's comments removed from a site (without even being told) when one is trying to defend oneself against blatantly uncivil comments (let's not only pretend it didn't happen but let's reinforce the one's who did it) is a bit too much. I would like my name deleted as a member of the site as I do not believe in what it has de-evolved into. I am also not interested in political "free for alls"- but, even worse, only for the chosen few.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
rhondalea

I wish you wouldn't leave, Karen.

I understand your frustration because I share it (as to the political issue). I believe the post deletions (including mine) were an attempt to preserve the important part of the discussion--insurance issues, which is something nearly everyone shares--without devolving into politics.

I think a better solution might have been to delete the entire thread and start over, but then some of the actual information would have been lost.

I just don't think throwing out the baby with the bathwater is the way to go here, and I hope you will give consideration to the fact that even in the best of relationships there are occasional blips. The way to fix the site is not to leave it but to participate more and to call attention to the times when the subject veers into the unacceptable. (Yes, that probably means more deleted posts in the sorting, but how else to end a contentious, political discussion than to put a full stop on it?)

I can't post much these days, and I can't stay in touch with people the way I would like--my brain refuses to cooperate--but being able to log on here and see that certain people are still posting is very reassuring to me that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't just an oncoming train. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way. I would be dreadfully sorry to see you go (but I'd like to stay in touch--in my haphazard way of the moment--so I'll be emailing you just in case you won't change your mind--might take a day or two, but please don't change your address in the interim).

Anyway, give this some more thought, please. You have been a long-time contributor to this group, and I would hope that you see some value in preserving that.

Rhonda

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Laurel

Everyone,

I have not commented on this thread, principally because I have strong feelings about our new healthcare adventure. However, I will say that as a politically divided and polarized nation we Americans are bound to have polarized opinions of the new health care legislation. It will not be easy to respond CAREFULLY to this discussion. However we all DO need to know what is happening to one another regarding our insurance experiences going forward. By doing so we can assist one another around the bureaucracy and unintended pitfalls that ANY system will inevitably manifest.

So look, everyone, this is here and now and must be dealt with no matter what one's feelings about it may be. We need to assist, enlighten, and educate one another so we can continue to receive the needed care for our members. Karen, stay. Please know you are loved and respected. Stay. Let's all fight on together our real enemy--Her2 breast cancer--not one another. We can do this, because at the end of the day love prevails. Let's not be too harsh on ourselves at his moment in time. This new legislation is frightening to some, welcome to others. We must allow civil discourse to go forward and not attempt to silence one another so we continue to share our experiences. We need to hear the GOOD, the BAD, the BEAUTIFUL, and the UGLY. We, certainly as cancer warriors, know all too well that knowledge is power.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Laurel

Just another thought: I for one would really appreciate hearing positive experiences with our new system. Has anyone signed up and paid their new premium? If so, will you share how this has affected you, positively or negatively? What was your experience?

Smile On!
Laurel

7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08

15 Years NED

Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
norkdo

Please, Karen, stay? Please.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #31
StephN

Re: "Affordable" Care Act

Mike has done what he can to edit this thread.

Anyone who has posted here and wants to take out the LOL in the title of their post must do it themselves.

Click Edit and then at the bottom of the edit box click on Go Advanced. There you can edit the Title.

Onward in a positive manner, please.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #32
MJsHusband

We have Blue Cross Blue Shield through the corporation we are employed by and have experienced no changes at all since the ACA began.

08/10 ~ Dx IBC, Her2+++ ER-/PR- Stage 4, mets to liver. Age 43.
08/10 ~ Began 12 weeks of Taxetere/Carboplatin/Herceptin tx
[10/10 ~ Scans show liver lesions are gone. NED!
11/10 ~ Ended chemo. Herceptin-only tx
01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation
07/11 ~ Reconstructive surgery
10/11 ~ PET/CT shows NED :)
01/12 ~ Malignant tumors found in uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes. Dx as endometrial cancer. Stage III2c
02/12 ~Hysterectomy(all tumors removed). Back to NED.
02/12 ~ Final Herceptin treatment.
03/12 ~ Began Cisplatin/Adriamycin tx for endometrial cancer.
03/12 ~ Tumors dx her2 metastisis, not entdometrial cancer. Back to BC tx.
03/12 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)
04/12/~ Began Tykerb/Xeloda.
06/12 ~ Ended Xeloda. Continuing Tykerb. Still NED.
09/12 ~ PET/CT scans show NED. : )
04/13 ~ Rash on original breast biopsied as cancer.
05/13 ~ Surgery to remove skin and tissue around rash. Continue Tykerb.
06/13 ~ PET/CT scans show NED : )
11/13 ~ Jaundice eyes and skin. CT scan show mets to liver as well as peritoneal carcinomatosis with malignant ascites. Began Abraxane/Herceptin tx.
02/14 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)

MJsHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #33
KDR

Karen,
In the past, I have felt attacked for my points of view and opinions on this site before and, at one point, felt it divisive, even. I asked the powers that be to be taken off, too. Felt under-appreciated. Uncared about. I have my beliefs, others have theirs. But when asked to reconsider, I'm glad I stayed. I've made great friends here.
I am very careful with verbage, keep it quick, simple and short. Not at all how I write poetry or speeches or fiction.
So, just sleep on it.
Great.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #34
evlin75

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...=wnl_edit_dail
This is an article showing cuts to oncology clinics in 2014. More local clinics will be forced out - but funds to hospital outpatients services will increase for cancer treatments.
To read you have to sign in though.

Ev
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #35
Catherine

Brokers are available to help you anaylze(sp) the policies. I am not sure how fair and unbiased they are. Just another option. Staying alive and not running out of money is enough to scare any of us. Praying for the best for everyone.

Hugs,

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #36
Adriana Mangus

Hi Everyone,

As a former Civilian Employee I don't qualify for the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare. But I'd like to say that I agree with Becky, we need to leave politics outside of this organization and stick to what matters most to all of us, just by talking about premiums and health plans and how everyone is affected by these changes, we're learning and getting an education on the new healthcare ystem. I have a daughter who's 27 y/o and has no medical insurance at the present time- - we're still waiting on a response from Health Net. I checked some of their plans and they don't look good for her-- each one of them has a deductible of $6,500.! It's a lot of money considering she's a young, healthy woman with no pre-existing medical conditions. I believe this new healthcare thing is for people with more money to pay for those who can't afford health insurance, that's what socialized medicine is all about.
I find it very difficult for people who don't wish to sign up for the Obamacare to be forced to do so. Regardless, I find this thread educational and personally I'm learning from other people's experiences .

So in short, let's keep this thread alive.

Thank you for your time.

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #37
Adriana Mangus

Karen,

Your response is lovely.

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #38
Laurel

Adriana,

In your post you said your daughter is 27 years old and without insurance presently. When she searched the new website the best she can do is a $6500 deductible? Without getting too personal, can you tell us if she is in a higher earning bracket? That kind of deductible would be impossible for my 21 year old daughter to float on her salary. Gosh, it seems very high to me on first blush. Thanks.

Smile On!
Laurel

7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08

15 Years NED

Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #39
MikeF

Our deductible is 6350.00 with a monthly premium of 644.00. Barb can go in for one treatment and that would knock out the deductible. Im still trying to get my mind around why the premium had to increase so much. If the insurance industry cant discriminate against preexisting conditions how do they justify doubling our premium. Is it simply that now they anticipate more in claims?
Radiation to spine
10/23/10StartNavelbine
11/19/10 Port installed
11/22/10 Started 2nd cycle
1/10/11 Finished 2nd cycle
1/24/11 Herceptin Only
3/7/11 progression, start Taxol/Herceptin
4/18/11 Skin mets appear increase treatments to weekly
rash spreads to right breast
7/5/11 enroll in TDM-1 study
7/29/11 randomly assigned Tykerb drop out of trial and start Tykerb /Herceptin no Xeloda skin mets gone Tykerb working
1/31/12 Skin mets return add Xeloda
5/9/12 Stop Tykerb skin mets back
5/17/12 Return to Navelbine/Herceptin
6/26/12 start process for TDM-1 compassionate access
8/28/12 Start TDM-1
10/9/12 third TDM-1 no response yet
10/23/12 Start Haloven
1/17/12 Start Perjeta/ Herceptin/Taxotere
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #40
Mary Anne in TX

Good Morning Warriors! As I read the responses and concerns in this thread, it takes me back to so many times I felt uncomfortable with what was being said by some of our greatest warriors (now angels). They were fighting for their lives and felt strongly...very strongly about whatever. I didn't like everything people said....some made me mad or sad....but I loved the person who was saying it. I know we need to be a bit more careful in who we "fire" at with our words, but we also must feel safe to "unload" feelings and fears. This is a mean, dirty fight for so many and they need a place to come that is safe. Love and Happy New Year and success in battles to everyone......

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote