HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
YellowTail

Re: Diet and breast cancer

Navigating the road of what to eat and what not to eat is something we all grapple with. I agree with Amy as well, balance. Prior to breast cancer I ate well mainly fish dotted with grass fed organic meat (minimal pork), veggies and fruit organic as well so I continue on with this regiment however I have reduced the red meat and increased my beans and legumes. Recently, I read that when possible eat organic as it it richer in vitamins and minerals, however the organic farmers still use over 100 pesticides on their produce but they are still safer than the non-organic farmers. It was suggested that I buy my meat/fish/veggies/fruit from local farmers that are organic and have the animals to produce fertilizer so that it is organic. It is very easy for me to do this as I live in Niagara Canada where the farmers are plenty. In my opinion food makes a difference in our overall physical, mental and spiritual health.

Eating well is a full time job, LOL...have a great day and thanks so much for sharing!
YellowTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Mtngrl

The link to the pamphlet has changed. Here it is again: http://cancer.ucsf.edu/_docs/crc/nutrition_breast.pdf. (I downloaded it this time--don't want to lose it!)

I have switched my focus from "protein and produce" to "whole grains and vegetables." The "whole grains and vegetables" idea is from The New Laurel's Kitchen. It's not just a vegetarian cookbook. It's a rich resource for facts about foods and for suggestions for lifestyle and attitude changes that include a plant-based whole foods diet. It's a nice, holistic approach. The recipes are good too.

The authors suggest a basic eating plan of four servings of whole grains and one serving of "super-vegetables" a day, plus either a serving of beans, a serving of dairy, OR another serving of "super-vegetable." Super-vegetables are sturdy leafy greens like kale, collards, and bok choy, plus broccoli, brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables. Calorie needs are rounded out with fruits, other vegetables (including salad vegetables and starchy ones like squash or sweet potatoes), fruit, nuts and seeds, and additional servings of the basics. A grain serving is one slice of bread, 1/2 c. cooked grain, etc.

I find it helpful to think about what to eat rather than what I "don't" eat, so I like that approach. I also think we need Omega 3, so I take fish oil supplements. I also take Vitamin D. (Plant based Omega 3 has to be converted before it can be used. Since I'm not a vegetarian I'm OK with a fish source.)
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #23
ricky

mtngrl,
Diet has to help! My wife, stage 4 almost 6 years and NED almost 4 years, eats all the right foods daily. A Quaker Oats breakfast, salad for lunch, munches almonds and walnuts throughout the day, an apple daily, salmon once a week, and so on. She also walks two miles a day and does weights with me. She's a walking miracle.
Best to You,
Rick
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Jackie07

This page from the link recommended by TanyaRD does emphasize on eating more fruit and vegetables to fight cancer:

http://www.aicr.org/research/researc...rt_report.html

[This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-level_domains gives details about domain names.]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-22-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Mtngrl

The hospital gave me a book on breast cancer treatment that said to avoid fad diets and eat from "all the food groups," as if "food group" means the same thing to everyone. It also had a little information (but no context or guidance) about glycemic index. And they gave me a booklet called "Eating Hints" from the National Cancer Institute that says, "Many people want to know how they can help their body fight cancer by eating certain foods or taking vitamins or supplements. But, there are no studies that prove that any special diet, food, vitamin, mineral, dietary supplement, herb, or combination of these can slow cancer, cure it, or keep it from coming back. In fact, some of these products can cause other problems by changing how your cancer treatment works."

The last sentence is true, and everyone should let their care providers know if they are taking supplements. Also some foods, like grapefruit, are restricted in the case of certain drugs. But the rest of it, although technically true, is misleading. I'm sure that antioxidants from vegetables, fruits, legumes and grains, and eating to avoid insulin peaks and inflammation, are a good eating plan. It helps me keep my energy up. It is helping me gradually lose body fat. I don't need "proof" that it is helpful in fighting cancer, but it seems like a pretty safe bet. And it can't possibly do any harm.
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
DragonMom

Completely CONFUSED, I'm currently in treatment and just not sure what to eat.Do I eat the Cancer Fighting Foods or What? I know I need to eat to get me thru this.

I'm not a cook from scratch person. What are some easy Ideas that I can eat and how to remind me to eat
Her2+++
Mastectomy Nov 22, 2011
Dec 15 2011 Begin FEC x 4
Mar 8,2012 1st of 12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin
Rad's 36 zaps July 1st-August 16, 2013
Herceptin April 8 2012-March 1st 2013
Not recommended for Reconstruction April 24, 2103
Found 6 Tumors in Ovary and Uterus
=Hysterectomy March 8, 2013

DragonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
Mtngrl

Dear Dragonmom,

Welcome to our family of feisty, fearless, friendly people, though of course it's too bad you had to join us.

Don't be concerned about doing everything right all at once. No one can make sustainable changes in that fashion. Just do one thing at a time, then as that becomes easy and comfortable, add the next thing.

A half hour a day of moderate exercise should perhaps be the first thing. That helps calm the mind and lift the spirits.

Start eating lots of fruits and vegetables. Try to get one "super vegetable" every day--kale, broccoli, chard, collards, brussels sprouts, bok choy. A glass of tomato/vegetable juice every day is an easy 2 servings of vegetables. Have fruits, vegetables or both every time you eat--a large variety, all different colors, some lightly steamed or roasted and some fresh.

Then start eating only natural complete grains--nothing refined.

Eliminate processed meat such as bacon, ham, hot dogs, lunch meat. You really don't need to eat meat at all.

For an eating plan, try the "plate" method. I think there's a thread about that, or you can Google it.

One step at a time, one day at a time. You can do it.
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/31/17 Port placement
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
TanyaRD

Dragonmom,
I agree with Mtngrl's response. As you go through treatment I recommend focusing on some basics, like hydration. Water or some type of non-caloric beverage is so important to help minimize symptoms. Treatment may be a good time to start thinking about the dietary/health lifestyle changes you might make as you move forward. There is strong evidence to suggest that a low fat (especially saturated fats-those found in animal products), whole grains and high intake of fruits and vegetables is beneficial not only in prevention of breast cancer but prevention of recurrence. Exercise, even during treatment is also very beneficial and may reduce treatment related fatigue.

I think you'll find these message boards to be full of support and information.

Best wishes.

Registered Dietitian
Board Certified Specialist in Oncology Nutrition
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote