HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
StephN

Wink IBC news from San Antonio

Hey Sandy - and the others here who are fighting inflammatory breast cancer.

I just got the Program Schedule from the upcoming Breast Cancer Symposium (which Sandy H will be attending) and would you believe that the FIRST presentation of the conference is titled:

"A Phase II combination study of lapatinib (Tykerb) and paclitaxel as a neoadjuvent therapy in patients with newly diagnosed inflammatory breast cancer (IBC)."

This is a multicenter AND international study.

Then following that is another study presentation on lapatinib and capecitabine.

There will be a couple of other presentations specific to IBC as well.

Things are looking up for this particular brand of breast cancer.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Sandy H

Thanks Steph, we can always count on you for keeping us posted! I don't have my schedule as yet should have it soon. Guess, you know what I will be attending. I am always looking for anything to do with IBC. Sounds good to me. Word is getting out there. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
sarah

Hello,
When and where is this conference?
Do you know who will be attending for the IBC part?
Do the Tyberb trials protocol insist of progressive biopsies or do some check with scans?
checking for my friend who has IBC
thanks
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
lexigirl

Thank you so much for the info. Steph. Anxiously awaiting some good news re: IBC!

Thanks,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Sandy H

I will be attending the conference in San Antonio (it is Dec. 13th to the 17th.) as an ambassadore for the Her2 here. Being IBC myself I will be looking for anything to do with IBC. We will be posting from time to time here news and updates from this conference. It will come all during the year and not all at once. Just because we are not posting here don't think there is nothing in the works. This is the best informed online support I know of. So keep watching as new links are being added the most recent being IBC. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
Doxil

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
heblaj01

Here is the(good) news from SABCS (the Forum representatives at SABCS are likely to bring back more detailed info):

Lapatinib Effective for Inflammatory Breast Cancer: Presented at SABCS

By Charlene Laino

SAN ANTONIO, TX -- December 14, 2006 -- The small-molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitor lapatinib appears to be effective for the treatment of women with aggressive, inflammatory breast cancer, a prospective phase 2 study suggests.

Massimo Cristofanilli, MD, associate professor, department of breast medical oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, reported the findings here on December 14th at the 29th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (SABCS).

Dr. Cristofanilli and colleagues enrolled 35 women who were a median of 53 years of age and diagnosed with previously untreated inflammatory breast cancer. The women were divided into 2 groups: cohort A included 30 women whose tumors overexpressed human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2); cohort B included 5 women whose tumors were epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-positive but who did not overexpress human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2).

All patients were given 1,500 mg of lapatinib daily for 14 days, followed by 3 months of 1,500 mg of lapatinib daily plus 80 mg/m2 of paclitaxel for 12 weeks. At the end of this treatment period, all patients were referred for surgery.

The study's results showed that 77% of patients in cohort A responded to lapatinib, with 10% achieving a complete response and 67% a partial response. In Cohort B, 80% of patients had a partial response and none had a complete response.

Of the 21 patients who completed surgery at data analysis, 14% had a pathologic complete response -- all of them in cohort A. Dr. Cristofanilli noted that pathological complete response is "a strong prognostic factor for improved outcomes."

Lapatinib was generally well tolerated, he said, with only 1 patient discontinuing treatment due to toxicity. The most common grade 3 toxicity was diarrhea, observed in 60% patients.

"In summary, lapatinib is clinically active in the neoadjuvant treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer," he said. "We strongly believe it provides new hope to the patient with inflammatory breast cancer."

The research was supported by GlaxoSmithKline, which is developing lapatinib under the trade name Tykerb.

heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
lexigirl

Wow, very good news! Thank you for sharing this!! This is such an exciting time in medicine. I am hopeful that there may be a cure on the horizon!

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
sherri

Me too! This is a great news.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #9
Sandy H

Thanks for posting this helba, don't know your name. I sat in on this presentation and I was encouraged. Was going to post it but you beat me to it so thanks. Tykerb will be released soon and this will give us more options of combos to try and I am sure the docs will brain storm and come up with even more. So this is great news for us IBC'ers. Things keep looking up for us. Steph we missed you this year. It was a very busy time and lots happening I am sure you would have enjoyed it. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
Doxil