HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
hutchibk

The 411 on me... not much too new, but a new wrinkle or two.

OK, here's the 411-

1. Mets to my pituitary area: I finished 25 days of low dose targeted IMRT rads to my infindibulum (pituitary gland/sella turcica) last Weds. Oct. 14. All went extremely well, no complications, no side effects other than fatigue and a little blurry vision, from suspected mild swelling in the area of the optic chiasm, which will self correct.

Without a biopsy, we can't determine 100% that these two tiny spots were mets, they could have been benign pituitary adenoma. I spoke to both my onc and rads onc, a neurosurgeon and my new Endocrinologist, who all agreed that this is NOT an area that anyone should be biopsying... that said, upon looking at the MRI, the Endo said that the spots did not look consistent with adenoma, so we are assuming mets.

These mets were outside of the BBB (as my onc calls it, the Better Business Bureau, ha). So, they were inside the internal boney structure of the skull. They are now effectively zapped, bye bye.

Side effects of having a tumor near/touching the very sensitive pituitary gland can be numerous, and I think I lucked out. It turns out I do have a Human Growth Hormone deficiency from the pituitary getting it's feelings hurt... but we won't be supplementing me with HGH shots (because I am a mets patient with the chance of active cancer lurking beneath the levels of detection. HGH supplementation can fuel cancer growth, and if I did do the HGH shots I would no longer be eligible to ride in the Tour de France, play Major League Baseball, or compete in the Olympics, which would be a bummer). The Endo tells me that supplementing it isn't imperative, but in a healthy person would be recommended, as there are a few complications it can cause. In my case she says the risks mitigate those complications and I do not present with those complications anyway, other than the midsection thickness/spare tire, that could also just be 50 yr old menopausal woman.

The other side effect of an insulted pituitary is that I might have 'diabetes insipidus' which is also called water diabetes, and it just means that you have excessive thirst and excessive urination, and urine is not concentrating properly. I will have results from a final urine collection next week. If I have it, it is a fairly easy fix with a once a day nasal spray of vasopressin. I am actually starting to think that I won't end up positive for this, as since radiating the pituitary tumor, my thirst has started to decrease, so maybe we reversed this side effect and made the pituitary happy... but I will know more next week.

2. My tumor markers have increased slowly and slightly over the summer. This could be a combination of two events. One could be shedding of cancer cells from the radiation. The other could (and probably is) from the increase in size and activity of the spot we have been watching on my right illiac crest (rear pelvic bone). It is still small, but showing slight progression.

We have decided it is time to radiate that sucker, too and just get rid of it. I will meet with the rads onc tomorrow to set a plan. We had cogitated about changing systemic pharmaceutical treatment as well (went over several thoughts, options, trials), but since there is nothing else showing up on PET, my onc wants to 'not upset the apple cart' just now and pile on new side effects when we don't see anything else new showing up. It seems that for the most part, the Herceptin/Tykerb is still holding me pretty well. We will PET (and MRI appropriate spots) every three months to stay on top of everything and monitor TMs closely, and the minute that something brand new appears we will talk about changing up the systemic treatment. This week we talked about treatments I have not had yet including Abraxane, Gemzar, Navalbine, Avastin (and Ixempra, but neither one of us is a fan of that one just now)... and he also mentioned the Heat Shock Protein trial that I would qualify for which he finds very interesting, (and we are still cogitating about seriously), the TDM-1 trial if there is one open within a reasonable vicinity, and then watching pertuzimab, nertatinib, and pazopanib results. Seems there are lots of things still in the pipeline, hopefully, if and when needed.

3. The one systemic change we made was adding Aromasin back into my treatment. We dropped it a few years ago thinking that it wasn't gaining us anything, but with new info he thinks that it might be another tool that can't do any harm and might buy us some results... I tolerated it really well before, so I am excited to welcome it back. Whatever it takes to keep this stuff at bay I am open for and the smaller the measures needed, the better in my book.

4. So, for now, I am keeping steady with Herceptin/Tykerb/adding Aromasin and doing my 3 month Zometa, and irradiating the bone spot on the illiac crest. Maybe adding vasopressin nasal mist if I present with 'water diabetes' after urine collection test is done next week.

Whew. My fingers are tired. I think I might be qualified (as we all might) to get a job as a doctor's dictation transcriber... ya think?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 10-24-2009 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: typo
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

Re: The 411 on me... not much too new, but a new wrinkle or two.

So glad your olympic and tour careers are intact!!! Fact is, I really can visualize you whizzing by on that bike with an intense look meaning..."I'm in it to win it"!!!
I'm glad for the good news that your current drugs seems to be doing the job they were hired to do! And it seems a good thing to zap that hip too and get it gone!
You are a walking/talking BC encyclopedia, but I wish you didn't know one word of it!
Hey, about this spare tire middle. Mine popped up this year and is most distressing! Makes the old clothes look totally goofy and me feel like an ol' gal finally! there just has to be a remedy that works besides 1 1/2 hours each day at the gym.
Brenda, you are so incredible. Thanks for the update and know you're always in my prayers and thoughts.
Hey, are you going to San Antonio in December this year? ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
Pam P

Brenda - Thanks for the update. I always learn from your posts - so articulate and descriptive. I wish I had your writing gift. Happy to hear you are doing well and hope the herceptin/tykerb etc. keeps everything in check. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Ellie F

Hi Brenda
reading your post is like a breathe of fresh air. On down days your tenacity and determination always spurs me on.
As already said I always learn things from your posts!
Thanks for keeping us informed
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Karen W

I am keeping my fingers crossed, too.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Lani

After going to the AACR advances in breast cancer research meeting in San Diego a week ago I was terribly impressed by Dr. Christoph Klein's work on metastasis.

He is among many who feel bone marrow information can be EXTREMELY important to guide treatment.

Since you have tumor cells in your iliac crest which are big enough to see on scan/xray, wouldn't it make sense to biopsy/aspirate these and discovery their phenotype (pattern of markers) to be certain your next treatments are the very best they can be and most likely to take care of your problem since you won't be biopsying your pituitary. Not everyone has the capabilities to phenotype DTCs, but since your tumor is visible on scans/XR perhaps discussing a small bone biopsy would be reasonable.

I hear over and over again at the conferences that breast cancer patients die of their metastases, not their primary tumor and if you direct the treatment against the pathways active/markers on their primary tumors you may be three/four/five steps/mutations/clones behind where you need to be to attack what is driving the met.

Circulating tumor cells are heterogeneous--Dr. Stephanie Jeffrey of Stanford has even shown triple negative CTCs circulating in her2+ metastatic breast cancer patients on herceptin, but according to the literature and talks at conferences I have attended DTCs seem to represent more patients' prognoses(see works of Klaus Pantel) and which pathways need to be blocked to save them.

Once you irradiate the pelvis it won't be possible to know what your DTCs
(disseminated tumor cells--ie tumor cells in your bone marrow) were like
they might be ER+ when the primary was ER- or vice versa

A true bone biopsy vs a bone marrow aspiration might tell even more as they could possibly freeze it and do a microarray--they are finding out how to predict based on microarrays which treatments will be effective. Again, the microarray for the met may be different from the microarray for the primary tumor and it is not the primary tumor that threatens lives.

I have written the above based on my readings and attendance at conferences--I have no expertise but I hear these themes over and over again at conferences...if only we had been able to biopsy the metastasis to direct treatment!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Carolyns

Hi Brenda,

Thank you so much for the update. You are a trail blazer and I learn from you each time you post. Please keep us posted and I hope that you have the best possible outcome.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Patb

Wow Brenda, you go girl, what a team you and your
Drs. are. Thinking of you and wishing the best.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
hutchibk

Thanks Lani - I was actually going to ask that question myself today when seeing the Rads onc. I like to rule out all other additional info avenues before we zap things into oblivion.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
chrisy

Wow Brenda,

I just have to say once more...you are so impressive, you are my hero in how you have assembled not so much a team as a full orchestra to fight this crap.
Carefully yet persistently orchestrating your survival and the canser's demise.

Brava!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Rich66

That was worth the lengthy read if only to come across "diabetes insipidus"

Regarding Lani's input, I have to say the bone/bone marrow to mets link issue seems to be a repeating issue in cancer stem cell viewpoint. If it doesn't interfere with your overall plan, you might consider moving your Zometa to around 24 hrs after whatever other infusion you get. There is suggestion following chemo with Zometa can synergize the two. Me thinks (armchair onc) by drawing the chemo to the bone tissue/marrow where met signals may be formulated. Have you considered Cellsearch or serum her2 test?
Oh..another highlight: "infindibulum" Just damn fun to say.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
SoCalGal

You never cease to amaze me. Grace under pressure, for sure. I think your plan sounds good. Ditto for Lani's input.

I think Avastin is effective and easily tolerated, if it's allowed. And I thought that Zometa prevents further bone mets as well as heals existing mets.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Diane H

Wow, you've traveled a long road. You are defintitely an inspiration, and it's good to hear promising news.
With hugs and love,
Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
BonnieR

Forget being the "doctor's dictation transcriber". You could be the DOCTOR!!!

ETA: great photo, Flori

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
hutchibk

OK, more answers:

1. From the onc regarding Lani's suggestion of biopsy of the illiac crest bone spot: (he never dismisses my questions, he is always happy to answer them thoughtfully and respecfully... he thought it was a great question)
" it doesn’t make perfect sense for the following reason: if you biopsy the illiac lesion and find out certain characterstics about it, you still don’t know if every metastasis in your body has those same characteristics. So, logically it doesn’t make sense that you could guide treatment based on the characteristics of one particular metastatic lesion, any more than you can guide treatment based on the primary lesion.
Also, using microarrays to plan treatment is still way too early for prime-time. Howard Oser, in fact, made the point at the meeting I attended a few weeks ago, that there is currently not good data to support using a commercially-available microarray such as Oncotype to guide treatment. In other words, at this point there is data to use it to make a prognostic decision, but using it to predict how somone will then do with a particular therapy is only an extrapolation that may or may not hold up. 'Feeling' like something may be important, and real data that shows that it is important and proves that it actually can guide treatment are two different things at this point in time."

2. Rich, I forgot to mention that I have been on Zometa for over a year now. I am getting it every three months... I have gone back and added that detail to my original post.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #16
Mary Anne in TX

Even to my scrambled brain, this made sense. I'm trying to keep up with CTC and DTC research (not quite sure why) thinking it might one day be really helpful. ma

http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/full/23/8/1623

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Ceesun

Brenda, Best, Best , best of luck to you---you are a rock! Ceesun Do people who do not have bone mets take zometa??? If yes, is it a proven preventative?
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
Joan M

Brenda,

This is great news given the location of the brain met.

I understand your onc's position about basing treatment on a particular met, as my brain met was HER2-. My onc said there's a 10%-15% chance of discordance between a primary and a met.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to put a biopsy in storage for future reference? There are so many twists and turns in bc research, it might come in handy in the future for a reason that eludes us today. I've contacted Stanford U for the NaI symporter test and will be sending them a sample soon.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Jackie07

Brenda,

You are truly amazing! To write so well and provide such ample information while under the enormous pressure you are enduring, not to mention the aches and pains.

I can only say 'thank you' and God bless you in all your endeavor.

I am not allowed to drive any more. But if you need a hand, let us know as I can probably send hubby down I-35 in less than two hours.

Take care now and know that you are in our prayers.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
TSund

Brenda,

You are a fountain of knowledge, inspiration, and wisdom.

Please know that if you ever need to be in Dallas you are welcome to stay with us.

Best,

Terri
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote