HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Angela

Cool Need Advice

As you see from my info below, I have been battling breast cancer for 6 years. I have continued to work with the exception of 2 months in 2003 and a month in 2006. Of course, I missed days here and there but I worked. I am a technology coordinator for a very large high school. My mom and my husband want me to come out on disability. I am having a hard time with this decision. I feel like I am admitting defeat. But then other times I think if this were my last year on earth (which no one knows when) would I want to spend my time at work or home with my family. Have any of you struggled with this decision or is it just me?

Dx May 2003 at age 39
Lt mastectomy, no nodes
DCIS, PR- ER- Her+++
4 rounds AC
Recurrence Dec 2006 Rt lung
2/07 - 3 Brain mets - Radiation
3/07 -
Carboplatin and Herceptin
8/07- mets stable. Finished Carboplatin-remain on Herceptin
12/07 - Herceptin only
5/08 - Lung mets grew - tykerb and Navilbene. Reaction to Tykerb -9/08 Herceptin again
12/08 - Lung mets growing - xeloda.
8/09 - Given Zometa for precaution
10/09 - Lung mets back plus new ones. - Put back on Xeloda.
1/10 – Began short-term disability

2/10 –Lung mets growing - Gemzar
9/2010 – Scan show tumors in lungs growing. Put on Ixempra (every 3 weeks). MRI of the brain showed a brain bleed but it had stopped bleeding.

Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
whatz

Re: Need Advice

Wow, toughie. No, I haven't walked in your shoes yet but have had similar thoughts anyway. Is work taking up too much of my time and do I need to re-balance. Maybe your employer would work with you going on a part-time basis (if you can handle your insurance that way). Or...can you consider short-term disability to see how things progress?
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
BonnieR

What are their reasons for encourging this? They have your best interests at heart, I'm sure. If the roles were reversed, what would you want THEM to do??
Ahdubose had some good suggestions.
l I often think of the old saying "At the end of my life, I am not going to be thinking 'I wish I spent more time at work'
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
chrisy

Hi Angela,
I've wondered about this myself - and understand your not wanting to feel like you're admitting defeat. I looked at it that way as well at first.

Then I reframed it (as you are); how do I want to spend my life - independent of how long it may be. For me, for now, my decision is that I enjoy my work and chose to stay "in my life" pretty much as it was. There are days of course when I feel differently about it.

I think the most important thing is choosing to spend whatever time you have in the way that is most meaningful and best for you. If that is to spend more time with family, traveling or whatever instead of continuing to work, then choosing that is claiming a victory of sorts - not admitting defeat.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Hi Angela,

I think it depends on how much you enjoy working also. I was in a busy very stressful job before my dx and very tired and worn out.
After my treatments I decided to stop working and enjoy life a little more, albeit with less money!
For me it was the right decision and one I have never regretted but may not work for everyone.
My days are full as I have a lot of interests and also do volunteer work so am never bored. Good luck with your decision.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
WolverineFan

Angela,

While I have not been through near what you have, I wrestle with this decision, and feel a roller coaster of emotions when reading the responses to your post. I have two small children (ages 9 and 6 now). I have always loved my job and felt it very important, for me, as Chrissy stated above, to continue in my life as it was before I was diagnosed. However, I will tell you that this has become a struggle for me, because I want to spend as much time as I can with my family, not knowing what the future holds. I wish you the best in your decision, and hope that whatever you decide, you will be at peace with it. Good luck!

Btw, I found it very interesting that they dx you with HER2 with DCIS. When I asked my dr if my DCIS was also HER2, she told me that they don't test for HER2 status while its still in the ducts. I don't think it would have changed my treatment any, but its interesting to know that they do in fact test HER2 status with DCIS.

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.

I have been retired for several years.......do what you feel is right.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Jackie07

Angela,

Wow, you sure have been through a lot!

Your family may be the one that needs a break...

I went to a rehabilitation counselor 3, 4 years after my first brain tumor surgery. He explained to me that while a person with 'head injury' thinks he is doing things the normal way, others observe it as in 'slow motion'.

The brain needs time to heal. The best way to heal it is to keep it up and get those brain cells connected (synapse) by exercising both physically and mentally. Working part-time could be an excellent solution if your employer will work with you.

I have finally applied for disability after 4 major surgeries (since 1990) all involved with head injuries (yes, chemo and radiation 'hurt' our brain - but our brain can recover - do you know that most people don't use but 3% of their brain cells?) It's not admitting defeat, though it felt that way and I did wrestle with it.

Relizing that 'coordinating' your own care with all parties involoved is quite a [full-time] job. Let your loved ones know that 'Her-2' breast cancer is now the best type one can have because of herceptin. Be careful when reading statistics becaue Herceptin was not widely used until after 2005. (Approved for first-line treatment in 2007?) Many of our members are 'long-time survivors' (you can check those 'threads' by using the 'Search' button.)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-31-2009 at 02:07 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
cynthia1962

Hey you guys, I am new at this and I need to know how to post something on the board without going into someone message. This is my question. Do anyone no how to read an MRI My findings from monday was the ventricles and sulci are normal. No mass lession is present. there are no enhancing lessions. there is calcification in the falx. A few scattered unidentified bright objects are noted on flair and T2 weighted imaging. Diffusion imaging shows no evidence of acute infarction. No hemrrhage is identifed.
I went because I was having migrane headache and the nurse stated I should not be having them with herceptin so the onc told me to do MRI. Does anyof this states that they show me having the headache. Because the onc just stated I have a normal MRI
Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
cynthia1962

Jackie, no I just started having these migranes headache pounding. And another thing the Impression states scattered deep white matter nonehancing signal changes which may be due to early small vessel disease or chemotherapy. what does that means.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Barbara H.

Hi Angela,
If you enjoy your job and are able to manage it, you should strongly consider the benefits of continuing to work. I just returned from a BC meets symposium , and there are many new therapies that are being developed for HER2+ breast cancer. Although you are not stable at this time, you may be in the future. You are young and have a job that is not available that often.

You still have the option of spending quality time with your family during vacations and weekends.

Of course, you will have to make this decision yourself.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Sherryg683

If your job is fun and rewarding keep doing it. When I was diagnosed stage IV, it hit me like a bullet. Here I was spending so much of my time working like a dog, putting pressure on myself and I might not have much time left, time that I should have been putting into my 7 year old daughter. I immediately quit and decided to enjoy life, which I have. I spend more time with my little girl and friends and just smelling the roses and worshipping God and nature. My brother was diagnosed with Melanoma 2 months before I was. He had just retired a month before his diagnosis from a stress filled job that he hated. He was working so hard to save for his retirement so he could do what he wanted. He died 2 years later and those two years were full of chemo and pain. He said his main regret in life was that he did not get to do the things he wanted to do, he was waiting till he retired. He said he wished he would have taken time to travel and fish and enjoy life. I think of him so often whenever I take off and go on trips or play my tennis or take my little girl shopping or to the park. I wish that he would have had a few years that he could have done these things. I may not have as much money as I use to, but I have sooo much more. I really appreciate life now and don't want to waste any of it. This being said again, if your work is fulfilling to you , then you are living your life as you want. If you are working because you think quitting would be admitting defeat, then I say you should definately reconsider exactly what that means. Everytime I do something that makes me tingle with what I call "the joy of being alive" I feel like I AM WINNING! I will not be defeated until the day I take my last breath, and hopefully, even then I will be the winner, if God so graces me. You could take whatever time God has planned for you, which can be many many years and go out and do things that you truely enjoy. What is this life for anyway? I would hope at the end of my life I would be thought of as someone who enjoyed life and people....not....boy she sure was a hard worker....lol..sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Last edited by Sherryg683; 10-31-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
BonnieR

Sherry, powerful post!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
MJo

It is not defeat to work for your own recovery and to spend a lot of time with your family. Stopping work will give you time to devote completely to your health.
On the other hand, if your job adds joy to your life, by all means keep working. Just my opinion.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
WolverineFan

Sherry....your post was awesome!

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Kathy S in Tokyo

Location: From Syracuse, NY but living in Tokyo, Japan for 26yrs

Chrisy, I needed this message today. Thank you! Angela, I hope you get those lung mets under control. I've trying to keep doing work as usual to make myself feel normal but I realized I was draining energy that I'd rather be enjoying elsewhere so I'm on a break. Changing tracks but continuing...
11/2005 Clavicle & neck lymph nodes mets
30 Days rads, 7 months CEF-T Chemo
6/2006 mid chemo lung mets oral toremifene
10/2006 changed hospitals
12/2006 Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex
2/2007 Dramatic growth of mets! Stopped Tamoxifen and Zoladex
3/2007 Began weekly Herceptin
6/2007 Added weekly Taxol to regime
4/2008 More lung mets - stopped Taxol
5/2008 Xeloda - 3 weeks on 1 week off
8/2008 Got a port!
9/2008 Stopped Xeloda, started weekly Navelbine
12/2008 Tumor progression, stopped Navelbine
1/2009 Taxotere begins again, once in every three weekly Herceptin IVs
3/2009 Added Zometa pelvic bone met, lung tumors progressing, stopped Taxotere/Herceptin
4/10/2009 Whoa seizure! 6cm&3cm brain mets. craniotomy and gamma knife surgery 5/15/2009 Started
Adria/Cyto stopped 9/15 due to progession. Brain mets back 10/28 surgery more gamma soon
Kathy S in Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
hutchibk

Angela, I've been kicking it back for 6 years as well, pretty successfully, but always vigilant and always adjusting treatment as needed...

When you wrote "But then other times I think if this were my last year on earth (which no one knows when) would I want to spend my time at work or home with my family" ~ that is exactly why I took my disability 3 years ago, and I continue to sometimes work part-time/seasonally while other times I volunteer... and other times I just enjoy a mellow laid back relaxed life. I spend my time doing whatever the wind blows me to do at times, and at other times whatever makes me feel fulfilled and gives my life true meaning. I love not answering to anyone other than my body and my doctors... ha. Hope this helps.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 11-01-2009 at 08:09 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Colleen007

Hi Angela,

This is a personal decision for you, but when you ask yourself the question you have posed, what is your answer?

For me, I was diagnosed when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had already tied up loose ends at work since I knew that I would be gone on an extended maternity leave to address the cancer after I gave birth. After my lumpectomy and subsequent Stage IV diagnosis, I asked myself the same question. My answer was to go out on long-term disability (I still get partial pay and health insurance through my employer so I am very lucky). This has given me the chance to travel and engage in "memory making opportunities" with my family (in between my ongoing Navelbine/Herceptin treatments).

Sherry's response hit the nail on the head...especially the last sentence.

Good luck in making the decision that will be best for you.

Colleen
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
Angela

Thank you all for sharing. I have applied for short term disability which should begin Jan 1. Until then I will be using what they call shared leave and working as many 1/2 days as I feel comfortable working. The people in my school are so good to me. Working a few 1/2 days will help make the transitional easier on me. This is going to give me a chance to train someone to fill in for me.

Thanks again to all!

Dx May 2003 at age 39
Lt mastectomy, no nodes
DCIS, PR- ER- Her+++
4 rounds AC
Recurrence Dec 2006 Rt lung
2/07 - 3 Brain mets - Radiation
3/07 -
Carboplatin and Herceptin
8/07- mets stable. Finished Carboplatin-remain on Herceptin
12/07 - Herceptin only
5/08 - Lung mets grew - tykerb and Navilbene. Reaction to Tykerb -9/08 Herceptin again
12/08 - Lung mets growing - xeloda.
8/09 - Given Zometa for precaution
10/09 - Lung mets back plus new ones. - Put back on Xeloda.
1/10 – Began short-term disability

2/10 –Lung mets growing - Gemzar
9/2010 – Scan show tumors in lungs growing. Put on Ixempra (every 3 weeks). MRI of the brain showed a brain bleed but it had stopped bleeding.

Angela is offline   Reply With Quote