HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Westcoastgirl

No idea where to post

My husband went to the family dr for me today as his office had called, wanting to see me, having received some results from my bone density test done a week ago. Just one week from my last chemo I did not want to brave a clinic waiting room. As my breast cancer tumor tested positive for estrogen it is advised I take an aromatase inhibitor for 5 years. One of the side affects is loss of bone density so they wanted to establish a base line. I had never considered myself a person that would develop osteoporosis but it seems I have osteoporosis. The dr does not have the numbers yet so we are not aware of how serious it is but that I am in that range. I am devastated, this is very hard to deal with...all those years of wt training, walking, good diet......then breast cancer, 6 months later, now osteoporosis. It feels a little unreal but to tell you the truth I have been feeling "fragile" for a few years. Not sure how this will work in the treatment of my cancer, have my next oncologist appt in two weeks. Frightening times for me. I did not know where to go for advise but wonder if any of you out there are in the same situation as me. When do the cons outweigh the pros of aromatase inhibitors if I already have osteoporosis? Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote