HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Stephanie B.

Pain in Tailbone & Siatic area

Has anyone had pain in the tailbone or siatic area of the butt while on Taxol/Herceptin? I can't seem to get rid of the pain. It is worse the week after the Taxol (I am on weekly Herceptin and bi-weekly Taxol since Feb). I have been going to the chiropractor at least once a week and it helps a little and my regular doctor did an x-ray and nothing is broken. Just wondering if this is normal. My onc plans on doing another PET Scan, CT Scan and Bone Scan the first part of October, but I am wondering if I should ask for it sooner.

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
MJo

Yes Yes Yes. And it's still going on one year after Herceptin. I got a PET scan and lit up in my spinal area -- arthritis. This leads me to believe my current pain is 1) still the Arthritis or 2) a side effect of Arimidex or 3) I've got a bad disk. I started doing Pilates and Yoga again last month and the pain is getting worse, so it could be a disk. Pity, because I love those exercises.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
cafe1084

I also had tailbone and sciatic pain on those drugs, still do at times. I got so sore, there were days when I didn't want to sit, didn't want to stand, didn't know what to do. If it worries you, ask for them early if for no other reason than to ease your mind
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
hutchibk

Not a direct answer to your question, but my onc has asked me not to get anymore chiropractic adjustments... he has experienced mets patients who've had osteopenia/osteoporosis due to menopause, lost estrogen, AIs and multiple chemos, etc. - who have shown up with painful hairline fractures in their back, etc. which have probably been caused by regular chiropractic adjustments and compromised bones. I used to get adjusted about once every 6 months for sciatica (prior to b/c), but stopped after I was DXed with mets at my docs request...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
CLTann

I had pain around the tail bone area about one year ago. After a great deal of goose chasing, the MRI showed the problem is perinural cyst in the last section of the tail bone. The cyst is inside the bone and there is no surgery that would correct the problem. The cyst liquid is live -- some days it swells and some days it ebbs. The discomfort is dependent on the unknown swelling and ebbing. Sitting is the worst posture for me, while walking seems to help. The bond doctor says that there are many patients with the same problem. It has nothing to do with bc.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
fauxgypsy

I have noticed more pain than usual in and around my hips. I am sore to the touch and I hurt if i sit in one position for too long. I have had pain and soreness for years from fibromyalgia but this feels different and it started after I started taking Femara. I have been on herceptin for months but I didn't notice it getting worse until the last week or two.
Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
dberg

I had pain in my tailbone for about 6 months before I finally mentioned it to my onc. I figured it had something to do with chemo. He was horrified that I didn't mention it sooner. Turned out to be nothing on the bone scan. I have aches and pains, three years later, but nothing in my tailbone. Is it arthritis? Is it that I've been plunged into menopause? Is it mets? We have so many choices.
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
sarah

I had tail bone pain also - drove me crazy but a physical therapist who knows how to adjust it, did it twice and it's been fine ever since. I'm not a fan of chiropractor's and if you go for an adjustment, make sure it's someone's who's an expert at this particular problem. basically it's freeing the muscles around the tail bone. good luck.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
Stephanie B.

Thank you for all of your input. I was hurting so bad yesterday that I called my onc. and he is going to order a CT scan to rule out anything cancer related. I had a PET scan in July and everything was fine and I was hurting then also so hopefully nothing. He just wants to be extra sure. Anyway after the scan comes back we will go from there.

Thanks again.

Stephanie B.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Stephanie B.

I got the results of my CT Scan and there is no sign of cancer. I do however have a bulging disc. I have an appt with my regular doctor on Friday to decide what my options are on this. Most likely will have to do Physical Therapy. Has anyone had this problem before & what did they do for the pain??

Thanks
Stephanie B.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
tousled1

Stephanie,

I'm glad you found out it was not cancer but a bulging disc. I have had back problems most of my life. My cervical spine is fused due to herniated discs and my lumbar spine is fused from L3-S-1 due to herniated or bulging discs. Even after the surgery I still have problems. I currently have a herniated (bulging) disc above where my lumbar fusion is. Doctor wanted to operate and I said "no way." Physical therapy will help some. If I were you I'd try anything to prevent having surgery - especially on the lumbar spine.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Deloria

Spinal Stenosis and Siatic Nerve Pain

HI, I HAVE TAKEN EPIDURALS FOR THE LAST 3 YR;S.THE LAST I HAD WAS APRIL 4 2008. I HAVE BEEN IN ALFUL PAIN EVER SINCE.MY DR SAYS THAT THEY HAVE STOPPED WORKING,SO SHE SAID I NEED A LAMINECTIOMY. THAT IS SURGERY TO CLEAR WHATEVER IS TOUCHING MY SIATICA.NEVER HAD SURGEY. I HURT SO BAD FROM THE WASTE THROUGH MY BUTTOCKS AND THE BACKS OF MY THIGHS.HAVE BEEN TAKING LORTAB 10MG AND OXYCODONE 7AND HALF MG.THEY DONT HELP AT ALL.DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GO FOR THE SURGERY? DR SAYS I WILL GET TO WHERE I CAN'T WALK.WHICH IS HARD NOW TO WALK WITHOUT A CANE.OH YES,I AM 73 AND SMOKE. THAT IS WHATS WORRING ME NOW. FROM DELORIACRIC@AOL.COM
Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
penelope

I have had "sciatica" for 3 months. I can not tell you how comforting this thread is.

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Unregistered

Sciatica

Have had the same problem, Sciatica, leg pain, tingling. Had P.T. for 7 weeks. Finally took Advil and got relief, however, Advil did affect my stomach so I stopped. Exercises help every day. Finally had an x ray and was told I have Spinal Stenosis and some degenerated lumbar disks. No injections yet.