HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Tricia

Post Anyone listening??

Hi My name is Tricia and I am 31 and was diagnosed Jan 4 2007 after being misdiagnosed for 3 months. I was told I was too young for breast cancer, no family history and "breast cancer doesn't hurt" all this after going to the Dr. complaining of right breast pain. Anyway to make a long story shorter... Excisional biopsy on Jan 4 2007 confirmed 7cm tumor and 4-5 other smaller ones. Had port placed on Jan 18 started my first chemo Jan 22 ( taxol/herceptin) all other scans showed no signs of mets... Praise God!!! My onc called me into his office after doing some research with UCLA oncs and he decided to change my regimen on the next chemo which was Feb 12 He started me on Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin..... and man am I sick. My bones ache, my hair is gone, my vision is blurried most of the time, I run from both ends, I am on all kinds of other symptom controlling medications.... But I have two more pre-op treatments of chemo left and then they will do the radical/Mastectomy and then a year of the herceptin. But I have to say after being this sick...I can't feel the tumor at all!!! So I keep my thinking positive, my husband juices for me every day and I just keep counting the treatments down one by one..... God is good and works for the good in all things. If anyone out there has had this type of chemo please tell me about what you went through and any other ideas on controlling symptoms..... any advice you can pass would be greatly appreciated and used. Thank you and God Bless!!!
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
R.B.

Things you might like to discuss with your onc.

DHA long chain Omega 3 has been suggested in trials to work in synergy with taxotere and carboplatin - See links below.

DHA is fundamental to brain function and eyesight. One of my questions is does chemo intervene in the conversion of mother fats to long chain fats which if the case would result in DHA shortages.

The greek diet thread is about the possible benefits of long chain omega 3s as found in fish oil.

Please be sure to take medical advice about dietary change and even more so when in treatment.

RB

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16827782

http://welness2008.blogspot.com/2008/02/leukemia-2.html

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Jackie07

wow - RB, have you just been checking all the old, unreplied threads so you can talk about fish oil?

Tricia did not get her deserved welcome when she first posted. But she's been posting on the board. [But not since May 2007]

Well, here's the belated welcome, Tricia. Just don't want you to think that the only person that replied is the one wants to sell you something...

On second thought, I do want to sell hope, faith, and love...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-09-2008 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Adding [but not since May 2007]
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Alice

Smile

Hi Tricia,
I have to apologize, I do not go to the newcomers thread very often. If I did I would have answered sooner. I was on a regimen slightly different than yours. I had 4 rounds of A/C first and then 12 weeks of Taxol/herceptin/carboplatin. It was not a pleasant period of time. All the people I talked to had either Taxol, Taxotere or a combination of one with herceptin. They all seemed to think it was a piece of cake compaired to the A/C. My experience was that it was as bad only in different ways. I think the thing you need to focus on is the fact that the tumor is less noticable and that is a good sign. If it is truly shrinking it means that the chemo is working and the chemo is only for a short while in the scheme of things. It will give you peace of mind in the future knowing that the chemo regimen was ettective where many others have to guess if it was effective or not.

Good luck, Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Hi Tricia from Tricia!

I have to echo what Alice said, I had the same chemo as she did and it was tough.I was fortunate I could give up working at the time as the fatigue especially was very severe. I'm sorry you're going through this but it won't last forever and as Alice says at least you know it seems to be working.
I post on another board where there are a few ladies your age but the youngest is 19! The days when Dr's dismissed people for being too young hopefully are fading fast. Hang in there and if you need to chat just send me a pm or e mail. Good luck with the rest of your treatments.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
harrie

Tricia Keegan, this thread was started by Tricia almost 1 1/2 yrs ago. Unfortunately no one responded to her at the time, sorry to say. I am sure she is done with her chemo by now.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
tricia keegan

Red face Oops!

I did'nt even think to look at the date Maryanne, it was quite late here last night when I replied so must have been more dozy than I thought lol...thanks for the heads up!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote