HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Bill

Smile Spring Gardens

Hi everyone! Spring is right around the corner. It's time to consider what we are going to plant. It's easy to set up a small "bucket garden" anywhere. Get a few buckets or pots and hand mix some potting soil with some humus, and chicken or cow manure. It's amazingly easy to grow your own veggies and greens in a simple bucket or pot on the patio. Spinach and swiss chard grows well, and any time you want to supplement a salad, just go out and snip a few leaves and they grow right back. Radishes grow quickly, and a favorite of mine is radishes, carrots, potatoes, tossed in olive oil and roasted in the oven. A patio or deck garden is a great way to include children and other family members without a whole lot of work. Everything you grow is fresh and healthy. Mothers can sit with their children and say," what would you like to grow this year?," and write down their suggestions in a notebook, and then when you feel able, go buy the seeds and materials. It's a good way to get out into the sunshine and get a little exercise. Go do it! Why not? I expect to hear stories of wonderful bucket gardens come this spring and summer. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
hutchibk

OMG, Bill! I want so badly to grow my own food, but I just feel like I would screw it up... tell me more, tell me more! And if I don't have access to manure, what is good in it's place? How much sunshine? Full sun, partial sun? Do the buckets need holes in the bottom? Hummus like I eat on a pita w/ falafel? In the soil?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
PinkGirl

Smile

Bill and Brenda,

I am laughing - not at this great idea, but at two of the comments.
Bill, spring is not right around the corner for a lot of us. Planting my
garden is a long way off. Brenda, your humus vs. hummus comment
has me giggling.

This is a great idea. I plant a veggie garden every summer. I grow
carrots, cucumbers, swiss chard, tomatoes, parsley, chives, leaf lettuce (which likes to grow in the shade) and pumpkins. I grow the pumpkins for fun - we have a short growing season and my pumpkins don't get very big.

Gardening is a lot of fun and quite easy if you do it in containers. I have a small garden which is a lot of work, but I enjoy it.

This is me and my pumpkin from 2005.

Attachment 278

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album

Last edited by PinkGirl; 03-29-2008 at 07:31 AM..
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Sheila

PinkGirl
I used to have a huge garden when my children were small...like you I grew tomoatoes, carrots, beets, peppers, onions, potatoes, green beans, okra, parsley, lettuce, radishes....it was a huge garden, and I canned alot for use later on...my Mom still has a huge garden....I once grew a carrot that was as big as my twin girls...seriously, it weighed more than either of them, their picture was in the papaer and UPI picked it up off the wire and the picture went all over the USA,Canada & Europe....I have 2 scrapbooks filled with pictures from all over....each has a different caption...14K Carrot, Twins as big as a carrot, it is funny to look back at them...they even made Farm Wife News (never knew there was such a magazine)....people would just send them to my name and the town I lived in and I would get them...
So, after all that we are expecting some phenomenol veggies from you this year...and pictures!!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Bill

Smile

Wow, Pinkie, you got me laughing, too. I thought spring was right around the corner, but I guess in Canada maybe it comes in late, like maybe August or something, I don't know that much about Canada. (Do you have June, July, and August up there, or do you just jump straight from May to September?) It looks like you really are an awesome gardener, though, I love your picture of you with your pumpkin. Sheila, you sound like Queen of gardening! That sounds like one awesome carrot! Did you eat it? Just curious. I wasn't trying to imply that nobody knew anything about gardening, I just thought that alot of people think of it as hard back-breaking work, and it doesn't have to be. And, last but not least, Hucklebuck, all you really need to do is get a few 5 gallon buckets or pots, and get some potting soil. They sell composted cow manure at most Home Depots or large hardware stores, if not get some miracle grow. You can't mess anything up, trust me. It's best to just plant 2 or 3 things at first, just to get the hang of it. I see you live in Texas, just make sure if you plant seeds, that they stay moist all the time until they sprout, and maybe keep your pots where they get some shade during the hot afternoons. And, yes put some holes in the bottom of your containers. It's important not to try too much all at once, just a few containers to start off with. You can do it. Take care and good luck, Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Marlys

I love to garden. This year in Idaho we may not get spring because winter has decided to return to Boise after a 10 year or more absence. Boise is basically in a banana belt with very mild winters (probably because we are basically in a desert.) (OMG, I must love the word "basically".) Anyhow, I am 69 years old and still run the rototiller and do all the gardening myself with "old whats his name" sitting on the deck telling me how to do it and my dog following my every step barking at the noisy machine. I plant mostly tomatoes and then freeze them whole or in sauce. Sheila, I also plant okra as I really love it. I am so glad I learned to to like it in spite of its gooeyness. Cucumbers, peppers, and beans pretty much cover the rest of it. Oh, and lots of herbs too. Root vegetable don't do particularly well in my soil as it is pretty much what they call "hard pan" around here and no amount of compost, rototilling, and gypsum has really impacted it.
I think it would be fun to keep this thread going until we harvest and compare our goodies.
Sheila, I love the carrot story and PinkGirl, I have observed, at least above my part of the world, that Canada may grow late but it sure does grow big.
Bill, I thank you for starting this thread & don't feel guilty about remembering Nicole and sending her messages.
Oh, and "old whats his name" goes by Ken.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
PinkGirl

I would like to see this thread continue. It would be fun to compare our crops.... you would just have to wait for me to
chime in ... I plant root veggies at the end of May but I have
to be careful with everything else - the "old" gardeners around
here don't plant until after the first full moon in June.

Bill - most of Canada has 4 seasons but I happen to live where
there's basically only 2 seasons, summer and winter. We save
a lot of money because we don't need spring and fall clothes - just a sweater Our summers are hot but not very long. I start my pumpkin
plants in the house and then move them outside around the second
week of June.

Marlys - Tiptoe likes to work in the garden. She helped me pick
carrots. Do you have Tip and Tex yet?

Sheila - is there any chance you could scan and post a picture of that
carrot? I hope your twins were babies. I'd like to see this.

Brenda - humus/hummus????????

Great idea for a thread Bill.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Thumbs up Cute story to add

A Dear Friend with MS came from the other side of the state to surprise us at chemo. In her arms was a pretty planter with berried Juniper branches, holly, some wooden fruit and a giant Amaryllis bulb. As we were called for our chemotherapy she got up to leave and handed me this treat. Just her coming so far to see us (like it is a huge state..hehe) made my day and then the planter....complete joy. Now I can have something alive to represent her friendship and vibrant personality.

Ed did not say anything about the flower planter because he did not want to insult her, but he did not know what it was. As our nurses were admiring the craftiness of our mutual friend who grows her own flowers to help her stay limber, Ed replied:

"What is that Marie?? A TURNIP??" Needless to say he provided us with his innocent humor and we were crying tears of laughter.

Long story short, I have started my growing season. In the months to come I will be planting all fresh herbs. I do not stop here because even basil is complex...Lemon basil, Chocolate basil (this year I will plant it in honor of our PinkGirl), etc. Thyme...Italian thyme, lemon thyme and so on. Ed is Italian so he needs his fresh herbs or food just is "disgustoso" (disgusting)!! We do alot of container planting and I perfer to do so, it is so fun to watch things grow and flourish. There will be containers of tomatoes, peppers, carrots and YES....turnips!! LOL!! Let's keep this thread 'GROWING'. Thanks Bill>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Sheila

OK Pink Girl, you want me to do some work....the picture occured in 1975, OK so I am getting old....I went to google Twins as big as a carrot 1975 , you can see part of the picture, artical in the Sheboygan Press , (a Wisconsin paper it was in) at the bottom of the first google page....I will have to get to my kids to retrieve and take a picture of the article.....I remember it was in the Winnepeg Free Press???, also Colorado, Idaho, California, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri....can't remember all of the papers....my kids live 45 miles away...my next trip I will retrieve!!!!! Yes, they were babies....like a couple months old...

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments

Last edited by Sheila; 01-29-2008 at 12:28 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
PinkGirl

Smile

Sheila, I've been googling and I can't
find anything about your 1975 carrot.

Here's a pic of the biggest pumpkin I've
ever grown. It was in 2005. I don't include
2006 and 2007 pumpkins because you wouldn't
be able to tell the difference between the
pumpkin and my head.

Attachment 279

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album

Last edited by PinkGirl; 03-29-2008 at 07:31 AM..
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
Sheila

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://s...FTNZCucm3L8vmQ

Pink

I hope this links it
It worked for me....love the pumpkin...great carving, will you carve mine this year???

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
PinkGirl

Smile

Thanks Sheila - I could open it. Cute babies, nice carrot.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
lilyecuadorian

I think we are in the same "vibration mind" I'm ready with all the tools and seeds and everything else ....this year I going to do ..tomates (big ones) witch I share with the nun of my daughter school last year ....green pepper, red and yellow are more expensed and watermelon. peas ...beets ...and herb also for this year ..
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda

Last edited by lilyecuadorian; 01-29-2008 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: forget to add picture
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
ElaineM

spring gardens

Hi,
I started with basil and garlic. I am ready to get some more things that I can grow in pots in a sunny location.
Any ideas?
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
juanita

no garden for me except a flower garden. that is if they aren't all flooded out.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
Bill

Elaine, I planted a pot of Greek Oregano about 6 years ago in a big pot outside and it comes back fuller each year. I like Swiss chard and spinach in pots, too. They do well and you just go out to the patio and snip a few leaves whenever you want to supplement a salad. Carrots and radishes do well in pots, too. If you've never had a roasted radish, you don't know what you've been missing. First, throw some good cooking music into the CD player. Then crack open a beverage of your choice. Next, take a large baking pan (I prefer Pyrex) and throw in some Olive oil, and pour some into the dish with one hand while you sip your beverage with the other. It's important to think about whatever you normally think about when you pour olive oil at this point, or the recipe just doesn't seem the same. Next, snap your fingers, shake your hips and twirl around in a tight circle, stopping right at your cutting board, and start dicing potatoes, and flip 'em into the pan, covering the bottom. Next, take a sip of your beverage, and grab a bunch of carrots and cut them into 3 inch chunks, and throw them into the pan, (most of these ingredients should be in your bucket garden, except for the potatoes- you must steal them) Clean up your radishes and throw them into the pan too. Take a spatula and stir/flip the veggies to coat them. At this point you take a sip of your beverage, admire your work, and say "damn, that looks good". But wait, it's not over yet, you must take another sip of your beverage and take a deep breath and focus. The next step is very important. You must go back out to your bucket garden and harvest just the right amount of basil and oregano to add to the pan. Mix it in and add a little freshly ground pepper and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F until you think it's done, sipping and stirring occasionally. It's really good.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #17
ElaineM

Spring gardens

Hi,
Thanks Bill. Yum. Yum. The veggies sound great. I will try your recipe.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
chrisy

what is good cooking music?

Bill, that does sound good (although I guess I can't do it as sipping my favorite bevvie is off limits for now). But I do have a question...What is good cooking music? does it vary by dish? I sort of like to cook to "low rider", and of course any ZZ Top is good for really rockin the skillet but on the other hand, sometimes "Cheeseburger in Paradise" is in order...

Just curious
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #19
Bill

Cooking music- Boiling crabs, steaming shrimp, etc.- Bob Marly, or any decent reggae, Jimmy Buffet. Making stews or soups should be Neil Young or Gordon Lightfoot. Baking a turkey, chicken, game hen or anything that winds up in your Ojibwa bird-snare- Beethoven or smooth, mellow jazz. Making home-made spaghetti- jazz or India Arie. Chili- classic bluegrass or Old Crow Medicine Show is acceptable. Roasting/grilling of red meats with side dishes- Sinatra, Tony Bennet, etc. Slicing/cutting large amounts of vegetables should be Seal followed by Santana's Abraxas. I hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #20
StephN

Finally - garden bounty.

So, how is everyone coming with their gardening this year?
This is for You, Bill, to show you that it is not all ferns and pines here in the misty woods, though we have those too...

Everything is quite late this year due to cooler weather, but it is finally breaking into the high 80's today and may hit 90 tomorrow. It will be short-lived here, however.

Just wanted to show a couple of my early summer bounty that we can finally enjoy. My rose bushes are getting a healthy first bloom and the strawberries are good eating now. Lilies, raspberries, etc. are on their way.
Attached Images

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 06-28-2008 at 01:36 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote