HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > General Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

General Cancer News Latest Breast Cancer News from Moreover Technologies

Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
News

Quarter of breast cancer survivors are worse off financially due to treatment

Four years after being treated for breast cancer, a quarter of survivors say they are worse off financially, at least partly because of their treatment, according to a new study led by University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center researchers.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
IrvineFriend

Re: Quarter of breast cancer survivors are worse off financially due to treatment

I don't know, seems like a no-brainer that any serious medical condition is going to cost in co-pays, lost time, employers lack of confidence, etc.

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Re: Quarter of breast cancer survivors are worse off financially due to treatment

and what the heck do they mean by this conclusion?

Quote:
"These patients are particularly vulnerable to financial distress," Jagsi says. "We need to ensure appropriate communication between patients and their doctors regarding the financial implications of a cancer diagnosis and treatment decisions to help reduce this long-term burden."
Hey doc - I'm broke, what should I skip? Radiation therapy, Chemotherapy? Herceptin? No use saving me - I won't be able to pay the bill anyway.

Instead of wasting the money on studies with obvious results such as this, how about establishing a fund that helps cancer patients afford treatments and supplement living expenses during treatment.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Becky

They have such groups. My sister, who does not have insurance (but did do Obamacare now), was uninsured and diagnosed with DCIS after her yearly free mammogram. A group stepped in and she is insured for BC. Had to go to one particular group/hospital but she had lumpectomy and then radiation. She has her every 6 month oncology check up. Her onc is right on. She was on Tamoxifen and got blood clots in her leg and he was right on with that and the group covered that too. We were lucky.

Finances are stressful and they were for me because just as my treatment began, my husband got laid off so trying to come up with everything was a stretch. Because I got late Herceptin (alone), my onc didn't think my insurance would pay for it but I was going to take a loan on my house to pay for it (insurance paid). Its just another thing that complicates an already confusing time.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote