HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > General Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

General Cancer News Latest Breast Cancer News from Moreover Technologies

Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
News

Anti-cancer drug made from soil bacteria

Scientists from the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) have discovered a class of natural substances that are produced by soil bacteria and prevent somatic cells from dividing.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
gdpawel

We have enough 'me-too" drugs

Ixempra would be the first in a new class of chemotherapy drugs called epothilones. The medicine, which is injected, works by inhibiting tubulin, a protein that acts like a scaffold inside cancer cells and is necessary for their proliferation. Known generically as ixabepilone, the drug tries to stymie tumors by keeping cancer cells from replicating successfully. Ixempra would be used alone or in combination with Xeloda, in patients who have failed two or three other chemo drugs.

Bristol-Myers Squibb is trying to re-establish its prior prominence in oncology and got some good news with this approval. The FDA's approval of this drug harkens back to the old-school for breast cancer patients who aren't responding to other treatments. For use by women who have tried - without success - prior types of treatment. Why not give them the "right" drug or combinations the "first" time around.

The downside of Ixempra is that chemo that goes after dividing cells, also attacks healthy cells along with cancerous ones. Ixempra’s side effects include fatigue, hair loss and anorexia. Patients may experience a decrease in red blood cells, muscle pain, joint pain, the feeling of pins and needles in their fingers and toes, and in severe cases, inability to use their hands and feet fully. Does Taxol sound familiar?

Taxol was also a "natural" treatment. It inhibits the replication (mitosis) of cells. Targeting microtubles (a structure used in the division of cells) and stabilizes them to the extent that mitosis is disrupted. The problem is that it targets the fastest-growing cells, but it isn't specific to cancer cells. It also killed hair cells and cells in the stomach lining, leading to hair loss and nausea that are associated with chemotherapy.

According to the Office of Research, Florida State University, the picture wasn't all rosy for Taxol. As a cancer-fighter, Taxol had some serious drawbacks. For numerous cancer patients, the drug simply bounced off their tumors, doing little if any good. It was possible for patients to be resistant to it and develop a tolerance, limiting the drug's ability to fight future occurrences of cancer.

Scores of "new" cancer drug applications are for "me-too" drugs which might show only miniscule clinical improvement in trials, yet they somehow gain approval. So, for 1.6 months longer life (average population), patients can suffer from one or all of the above and still end up dead. Since they are marketed as if they were important new breakthroughs, they have very high prices. For most patients the total cost of a full course of Ixempra is expected to run from $18,440 to $23,050. Does Abraxane sound familiar?

Abraxane (a taxane) is a new form of Taxol. Abraxane does not need to be dissolved in the castor oil solution that Taxol does, and does not require special equipment to be given to patients. The delivery mechanism is different, however, they are basically the same drug. More of the women on Abraxane had numbness and tingling in their hands and feet. And more suffered nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, muscle and joint pain and anemia.

There have been truly minuscule improvements as a result of adjuvant chemotherapy and the net benefit to the community of breast cancer patients in the real world isn't all that clear. And the criticism remains: All of the clinical trials resources have gone toward driving a square peg (one size fits all chemotherapy) into a round hole (notoriously heterogeneous disease).

In academic centers, the patients are entered into clinical trials of square peg in round hole therapy. In the private sector, patients are treated with drugs which generate the most revenue for the treating oncologists, overtreat with infusion chemotherapy, and encourage the patient to receive 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line chemotherapy, regardless of the likelihood of meaningful benefit.

The academic center-based oncologists are misguided in not recognizing that they continue to try and mate a notoriously heterogeneous disease into "one-size-fits-all" treatments. They predominately devote their clinical trial resources into trying to identify the best treatment for the "average" patient, in the face of evidence that this approach is non-productive. However, such unsuccessful experiments will never be viewed as such by the people whose careers are supported by these kinds of experiments.

According to the National Cancer Institute's official cancer information website on "state of the art" chemotherapy in recurrent or metastatic breast cancer, no data support the superiority of any particular regimen. So it would appear that published reports of clinical trials provide precious little in the way of guidance.

There have been truly minuscule improvements as a result of adjuvant chemotherapy and the net benefit to the community of breast cancer patients in the real world isn't all that clear. And the criticism remains: All of the clinical trials resources have gone toward driving a square peg (one size fits all chemotherapy) into a round hole (notoriously heterogeneous disease).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/85726.php

References:
NCI's Official Cancer Information Website on "State of the Art" Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer
Office of Research, Florida State University
PNAS 104: 11103-11108 June 20, 2007
Bionumerik

Last edited by gdpawel; 02-01-2008 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: addition info
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
SoCalGal

for GD

I read your link/story that you wrote about your wife. She was lucky to have such a strong partner by her side.

I am trying to "pick" my next treatments. One of my biggest concerns is quality of life. I cannot get a straight answer from the docs. So far, 2 have said it's worth doing more chemo - that I can still get a remission. I don't believe them but haven't made any decisions, yet. I am not good at understanding the statistics, but I've made it clear that I don't want to spend all my time being sick.

May try herceptin, doxel and a new "heat shock" thing by kosan ks1022. Or may try herceptin and some navelbine. None of it sounds like something I want to do.

Thanks for the interesting post.
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
gdpawel

Flori

One of my sister-in-laws had a masectomy and breast reconstruction last month. At the same time! Marvelous what they can do with surgical technique these days. She had breast cancer fourteen years ago and had a lumpectomy with some spot radiation. She always kept vigilant and spotted this one early. It was another primary and treated it as such. She decided on a masectomy this time and nothing else.

Speaking of marvelous surgical technique, her husband didn't want her to go through her cancer alone. He had the da Vinci Surgical System for prostate cancer earilier this month. It is a sophisticated robotic platform designed to enable complex surgery using a minimally invasive approach. I don't know if I would want to go that far in experiencing my wife's cancer by having it myself.

I remember my dad having bypass surgery in 1983. Today, they are doing the same thing without cutting them open. My wife always felt that surgery was the way to go. She felt that surgeons were the true advocates for the best cancer care for patients.
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote