HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
NancyR

Hello,
My name is Nancy, and I am new to this board. I found it very interesting. I do have a question. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept. 2004. I had a 2cm. tumor, er and pr negative and Her2neu positive 3+. I finished chemo (Taxol- 6 rounds) the end of January. My physician told me at my last checkup that she now wants me to have Herceptin (6 IV doses). She said, since the end of April, it is now recommended that early breast CA - her2neu positive, and no mets be offered the drug Herceptin. I am wondering if this has been offered to anyone else? I am concerned, because the web sites I have visited only mentioned it being given at the same time as chemo is used, or prior to surgery. Also of concern, is the cost and side affects. I must mention, that this is the second time I have had breast cancer. The first was 10 years ago, opposite breast, er & pr positive with unknown her2neu status.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful, especially since I have lost a lot of confidence in my physician, but she is the only one in this area.

Thanks so much.
Nancy
Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Janet/FL

Hi Nancy
You may not have much confidence in your oncologist, but she seems to have made the right call on giving you Herceptin. In an ideal world, it may should be given with Taxol/Taxotere, but since you have already had Taxol, I don't know if that is an option. I don't know why she has only suggested 6 doses, or did I read you wrong? Would that be every three weeks?
If I were you I would take what is offered and try for a longer length of time on Herceptin. The side effects shouldn't be too, much. Read this board to see other people's expereinces. I start Herceptin and Taxotere, Monday. I am not even sure how long I will be getting it but feel lucky to be able to get it at all as I am a Stage 1, .9mm tumor and my first oncologist would not give it to me, or would only do so---If, If, If---well, he made it impossible. You will see that I have posted questions on it in the past couple of days.
Wishing you the best,
Janet
Old 08-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
TO

Nancy,
My posting is on this board as well. I did the chemo, mastectomy, then radiation. Now 7 months after my chemo my doctor started me on the herceptin. My white and red counts are down some. But the man thing is I am tired! The herceptin is my only hope at keeping the cancer at bay! I am stage IIIB. I say go for it! It seems to be doing well! Good luck! TO
Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Jan

I'm on my second cancer too in the other breast! Usually herceptin is given with taxol or without. I have been on it weekly for a year and in two weeks will stop, (just herceptin).My recommendation would be to do it any way you can get it. The side effects compared to chemo are minimal and I mean barely there. The studies say it helps her2neus a lot. If you have a question or want to talk I'm HavahJ@aol.com. Try not to worry!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
*_Judith_*

I was also diagnosed Sept 2004, 2 cm, no nodes, completed AC & Taxol in February, and was offered Herceptin this May. I think it is now standard of care at the excellent hospital I am treated at in Washington DC. I started last week with no discernable effects.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
NancyR

Thanks to all that have answered. You have given me more confidence than my own onocologist has. You don't know what that means to me. This whole experience has been somewhat depressing, mostly because of the physician. But, knowing there are others out there that are going through the same experience as I am, it makes all the difference in the world. Talking to someone that has not gone through the experience of having breast cancer and given a "poor prognosis," well, they just can't deal with it, or really understand the whole concept.
Thanks again. Nancy
Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
vpfeiffer

TO----
Did you have metastisized tumors? What was the data your onc relied on to give you Hercetin when you were all done with other treatments? I am in the process of making a case for Herceptin for 6 to 21 months after radiation is finished. I had a 9 cm tumor with 5/8 nodes positive. So I want to treat my cancer as if it's metastisized. Maybe your experience will help me make my case....

thanks!
Val
Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
NancyR

I did not have any metastasis. No lymph node involvement or spread to any other organs. My onc just said that it is now recommended to give Herceptin to early stage breast cancer that is her2neu+++. My tumor was only 2cm. close to the chest wall without chest wall involvement, therefore, I only had a lumpectomy. I am assuming that early breast cancer to them, means any size tumor that is her2neu 3+ ...ER & PR negative and no lymph node or spead to other organs.
Nancy
Old 08-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
ggweber_2000

I finished my chemo in 4/04 and radiation 8/04. I was part of the clinical study with UCLA to see if giving Herceptin with chemo would help prevent recurrence. I was not on the arm of the study that received the Herceptin, I received Adriamycin, Cytoxan and Taxotere. My oncologist informed me on 8/12 that if I came in today with the same diagnosis of Her2Neu 3+ I would be given Herceptin as standard procedure. However since I complete my chemo 1+ years ago my insurance will not cover it. If I want the Herceptin I need to pay for it myself at the cost of over $60,000. LIke I have that type of money laying around. So now I play the waiting game. If my cancer comes back then I'll be put on it and my insurance will pay for it.