HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
karen z

Re: Rembering our amazing Christine ~ web site founder

These pictures are wonderful. I hope we can post all that people might have.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
StephN

Per KarenZ's request, I am posting another photo. Christine and Dr. Dennis Slamon posing together in 2005. This was an important year in the Herceptin trials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7270.JPG
Views:	1614
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1089  

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
'lizbeth

That is an amazing photograph. Two people who were determined to help others who suffered from Her2+++ breast cancer.

Yes, and because of others I was able to receive Herceptin just a few short years later and am still NED!

So glad you posted it.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
IrvineFriend

StephN,

All the pics you posted earlier were in the slide show for the viewing. Thaknk you so much for posting as all those friends and family not associated with the site were able to see much of her life's work with your help.

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
fauxgypsy

Steph, I still have one of the same "brainy" stress relievers. My cats have stolen it. I have to say that trip to Denver was a life saver for me. For so long I had been at home, dealing with all of the issues associated with breast cancer. I felt helpless. The trip to the AACR meeting in Denver got me out of my shell. It gave me my confidence back. I shared much of what I learned there with my students over the past few years. I am wearing my tee shirt (Cell Death Tour) that I got there to therapy lately and I think of that trip and the people who made it possible, Joe and Christine. I am glad that I met you and Celeste as well. Joe invited me to San Antonio later that same year but I wasn't able to get off of work. I wish I had been able to go and get to know them better.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #26
Dakini52

StephN - you are always such an inspiration to me and offer such simple and profound advice and suggestions. I am grateful that I found this website and all the wonderful sisters here that can help each other as we wander through the maze of cancer treatments and possibilities and still claim our power and hold onto our sense of humor; committed to living in the moment as much as possible. Thank you so much for being an inspiration to so many people on this site. Blessings to you :-)
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #27
al from Canada

Hey Steph,
I still think about the time we spent with you, Sandy, Ginger, Joe and of course Christine in St Antonio. Christine and Joe's and the HER2 group added years to Linda's survival who regrettably passed in 2006.

Our first contact was with Lisa in 2003, who has since passed, and then onto the Druthers and Dr Devon Webster; who shaped our destinies for years to come.
Since Linda's passing in 2006; it's been a constant struggle to fill the void left in my life.
For those who may lose someone; never give-up hope because if we had, I would have lost Linda 2-3 years earlier. Every day counts.

My thoughts, although I rarely give them, to others struggling in these difficult times:

1. Take more from Cancer than it can take from you. Embrace the challenge and what's truly important; that is, the real meaning of relationships. We learned to love more in the face of crisis than in the times of celebration!

2. Stay connected to groups like this; failing that, you have to put your trust into people you either don't know, or those who get paid to talk to you.

3. Never say never, Linda should have died 2 1/2 years earlier than she did, miracles do happen thanks to people like Joe and Christine and this group.

4, Never, ever, ever be afraid to ask a question, especially when it comes to your own mortality! That nagging thought in the back of your head may make the difference between tomorrow and yesterday.

4. Don't trust "med - speak", get your results, read them, get informed, understand what's going on! Never leave the doctor's office without your results.

5. Get a second opinion. Think of Oncologists as auto-mechanics. They may be a little more educated but still make the same numer of mistakes. The only difference is that one is called "doctor"....

6. As a patient or caregiver, ask the right questions, and if you see "red lights" go off, don't ignore them, follow your gut and look for more answers.

So if this sounds a little bitter and twisted, it's not! The message is a very positive one: you have a lot more control than you can imagine. All you need is to learn from others and read Steph's bio!

I haven't posted here in years, and it is still so painful and Linda speaks to me every night.
Steph, thank you for posting our picture in your post, for giving us a place to stay in Seattle, and for not giving up. You are a true friend, inspiration and a mentor.
Joe and Christine, a belated thank you. Instead of burying your heads' and feeling sorry, you chose this! You could have gone to Montecarlo and had a blast but you didn't. You chose to help others, and the rest is history.
Joe and Christine's kids; sorry for your losses and I thank you for continuing the support group! Your impact can't be measured in words alone.

Al from Canada
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #28
phil

Al - what a great message - thanks. lost my first wife 23 yrs ago feb. 25th . i still get physically sick that week every time. but i learned a lot in that fight that i put into play in 2006 when my 2nd wife was dx her2 met. she wouldn't be here with out that knowledge . fight aggressive cancer aggressively. it payed of when she got kadcyla in 2010 - ned. i agree 100 % with your Wisdom above . God Bless, Heal - continue to spread the Love.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #29
Catherine

Re: Remembering our amazing Christine ~ web site founder

For all of us on the site: please read Al's post. It is a wonderful description of how to fight for survival. Perhaps it should be reposted under its own subject line. Some members may not see it under the subject line of remember Christine and Joe.

Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #30
Glad

Re: Remembering our amazing Christine ~ web site founder

Big thanks to all these wonderful ladies.
Glad is offline   Reply With Quote