HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Sheila

Re: Treatment Question

Greg, Dont know if you read my last post, but depending on the results of the scan, I would still see about adding the Herceptin back into the mix...especially with the previous liver involvement...all things to discuss with the Dr.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
MJsHusband

Hi Sheila, yes I got your message. Thank you.

08/10 ~ Dx IBC, Her2+++ ER-/PR- Stage 4, mets to liver. Age 43.
08/10 ~ Began 12 weeks of Taxetere/Carboplatin/Herceptin tx
[10/10 ~ Scans show liver lesions are gone. NED!
11/10 ~ Ended chemo. Herceptin-only tx
01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation
07/11 ~ Reconstructive surgery
10/11 ~ PET/CT shows NED :)
01/12 ~ Malignant tumors found in uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes. Dx as endometrial cancer. Stage III2c
02/12 ~Hysterectomy(all tumors removed). Back to NED.
02/12 ~ Final Herceptin treatment.
03/12 ~ Began Cisplatin/Adriamycin tx for endometrial cancer.
03/12 ~ Tumors dx her2 metastisis, not entdometrial cancer. Back to BC tx.
03/12 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)
04/12/~ Began Tykerb/Xeloda.
06/12 ~ Ended Xeloda. Continuing Tykerb. Still NED.
09/12 ~ PET/CT scans show NED. : )
04/13 ~ Rash on original breast biopsied as cancer.
05/13 ~ Surgery to remove skin and tissue around rash. Continue Tykerb.
06/13 ~ PET/CT scans show NED : )
11/13 ~ Jaundice eyes and skin. CT scan show mets to liver as well as peritoneal carcinomatosis with malignant ascites. Began Abraxane/Herceptin tx.
02/14 ~ CT scan shows NED. :)

MJsHusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
MJsHusband

The responses I've received have been pretty positive for adding Herceptin back in the regimen with Tykerb and Xeloda. I discussed it with MJ last night and we are going to have it added back in June after the results of her Pet/CT scans.

I mentioned to MJ that many on here feel she should be getting scans every 3 months instead of 6. She's pushing back on that idea for now. She doesn't want to experience scanxiety that frequently. Of course I can't make her.

Are there any studies showing that finding something 1-3 months earlier makes a big difference in overall survivability? I know most of the articles I read about for new treatments make a big deal about adding 3 months to disease-free survival/progression-free survival, but not as much about overall survivability, which is the most important area to increase in my opinion (although I know it is the hardest to extend). I am new to all this but keep reading and learning so that I can be as helpful as I can. I'm having to learn all these new terms and concepts.

Again, thanks for the invaluable comments that everyone has posted. Every one of them has been helpful. And thanks for the congratulations comments concerning our wedding in Jamaica. It was amazing and so glad that we were able to go there and get married on the beach at this crazy point in our lives.

~Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation
01/12 ~ Malignant tumors found in uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and lymph nodes. Dx as endometrial cancer. Stage III2c
11/13 ~ Jaundice eyes and skin. CT scan show mets to liver as well as peritoneal carcinomatosis with malignant ascites. Began Abraxane/Herceptin tx.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
phil

I dont know of studies about frequency of scans, but I know MGH's docs do them 3 months apart when cancer keeps coming back, as in your wifes case , since Jan. I think you will hear the same from others on this site who are being treated for Stage Iv at research hospitals. So our cumulative experience says scans every 3 months , for a good long while after re-occ. The tumor marker blood tests are good indicators too. Lorraine gets them every 2 months. Were up in 2010, before t dm-1 , have dropped to 14 since Sept , 2011. Lorraine has scanxiety every scan , but has seen the benefit of quick decision to drop txs not working ( abraxane after 2 months of no help ) and switching just in time to t dm-1. We are gearing up for her next scan May 15, which is 4 months after 18 months of every 3 months, because t dm-1 is working so well.
If i had a chance to get t dm-1 in those trials i talked about , i'd take it. In one everyone gets it, and the other, Theresa, 2 out of 3 get it, with the 3rd getting tyk/ xel. or other physicians choice. I hear that Theresa is nearly full, about 900, so 600 are getting the new super -herceptin.
W/in a yr, many researchers feel that t dm-1 will be " standard of care " for metastatic Her2, at varying dose levels, and combined w/ pertuzumab. When w/ in the next yr ? Well , thats up to our FDA, who knows ?? , it will be w-in a yr , but Sept ? Nov ? Jan ?? i say go for it if you can get it.
If your wife tolerates tyk/ xel., i would still strongly , strongly encourage frequent scans,blood marker tests. Just this yr . Those who know me know I can be a nag about this drug t dm-1 , and aggressive tx for an aggressive cancer, but theres very good reason , its life or death, and it works , esp. for those w/ liver mets, not too much bone involvement yet , like Loraine. Show this to your wife, and show her Lorraine on youtube " FDA Blocks Life Saving Cancer Drug Rally , Part 4. " Shes Living Proof . This is probably the best breast cancer drug for her2 in 15 yrs , since herceptin itself. Alright, done nagging , for now anyway...
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
MJsHusband

Thanks for "nagging" Phil. I appreciate your perspective and knowledge. I'll pass what you've said along to MJ. I have read about the Theresa trial but haven't considered it so far. I'm glad to know the T-DM1 drug is working for Lorraine and many others and glad that there is a backup in case the Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin combo doesn't pan out. I just wish the FDA would make it available sooner. I hate that some people don't have time to wait for this approval. I've read a few sad postings about that.
~Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation

Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Adriana Mangus

Hi Greg,

I agree with the other gals on the site, it appears MJ has received the appropriate treatment. She's fortunate to have you as her health advocate.

MJ will do well with the treatments, also there are countless clinical trials. You can check them out @ http://clinicaltrials.gov

Congratulations on the wedding.

Love,

Adriana
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #27
MJsHusband

Thanks Adriana. I will check out that clinical trials site. I see you have been in a TDM1 trial. Are you still involved in it? I don't see any update on your signature after August 2010 so not sure what your status might be these days. I hope things are going well for you. I guess TDM-1 is the great hope for everyone on this site. Hopefully it will perform better than Herceptin.

~Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation

Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
kk1

Greg;

It's counter intuitive but please let MJ know that the scanxiety is actually much less when you are scanned more frequently. If you have or had mets and wait six month between scans it's REALLY scary, after a few months your mind starts to imagine tumors "going wild". When it's every 12 weeks the anxiety doesn't build up and your mind learns to think "well it hasn't been so long so how bad can it be---I can deal with what ever is coming". I have found 3 month scans build my confidence and let's me plan and live my life better, and as I said I think my key to longevity has been always catching a met when it is small.

Also Phil and Becky are on target, ask about always being on Herceptin as it works better synergistically. Just because she develops a met does not mean Herceptin is not working. My analogy is there are multiple doors and windows for the HER/NEU cancer to enter the cell. Just because it found a back door doesn't mean you should give up and throw open the front door by discontinuing Herceptin. If someone breaks a window and burglars your house don't you still keep the doors locked? You would not say the dead bolt failed lets remove all the locks.

And finally you might want to ask about routine CTC blood testing in between scans as part of the monitoring, and I don't see you mention the ER/PR receptor status of the mets or primary.
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU

Last edited by kk1; 05-02-2012 at 09:05 AM..
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #29
phil

Lots of wisdom inwhat kk1 is saying. hers another thought, if you are going to try tyk/ xel. anyway, why not take 2 out of 3 chance on getting t dm-1 , if you dont, your fallback is tyk./xel. Thats Theresa, its a big trial. If you look at its hx., and its "suspisciously unique " randomization of 2 to 3 , I think its the co's attempt to get as many on t dm-1 and still satisfy This FDA's forcing them to do trials . Most trials would have a 50/50 randomization, or maybe 3 ' arms ", . if my guess is corect, kudos to Genentech. They know, and we know that they have a breakthrough drug.
The main trial This FDA is forcing , EMILIA , is done, data will go to to FDA soon, next month ? Then This FDA typically will take 6 months to approve. It shows that t dm-1 is superior to tyk/xel. How superior ? I am betting a lot, in survivability, and in QOL. tyk/xel is notoriuos for dirrhea, and " hand/foot syndrome , my wife had it all, droppped 15 lbs off an already 4 yr battling thin frame, wore gloves w/ lotion to bed every night as her fingers cracked. Turned the palms of hands, soles of feet orange T dm-1 : platelets for some , that can be managed w forwarning , dose reduction.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
Mandamoo

Phil - don't you have to have measurable disease to be eligible for any of the TDM1 trials - from what MJ'shusband has said, last scans showed no measurable disease. My understanding of measurable disease is a tumour of at least 2 cm measurable on standard CT with contrast, I think you can get in with a 1cm tumour using different 3d CT - it is usually according to RECIST criteria. I also believe to participate in theresa you have had to have tried Tykerb and xeloda combination to qualify.

Another consideration is that participation in a TDM1 trial - even if you draw the control arm and receive treatment of your physician's choice can exclude you from further TDM1 studies.

I recently participated in the Bolero 3 trial and we had to find something large enough to get me in (In the end we 'measured' an axilla node at 21mm) - my lung tumours were the concern - there were more than 40 but none over 1cm and not close to 2cm so ineligible by them when they are the life threatening ones.

For what it's worth - I am on Tykerb xeloda currently and have had a response when nothing else has reduced my lung tumours. I am managing side effects ok - with a slight dose reduction - every body is different. If I could I would have herceptin with the Tykerb but it is not funded in Australia to have the two combined and it would cost us $60 000 per annum to fund herceptin.

Let's hope the FDA approves TDM1 soon because we are usually about 3 years behind in approvals in Australia. Also want to see pertuzamab approved so there are more options to try.
Good luck,
Amanda
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
phil

Good points. I have not read up on theresa 's specifics exclusions , etc. Aggressive cancer calls for aggressive tx. I like that you and your docs looked for measurable disease. Our docs saw that Lorraine ws on adria again, awful drug. They said , " well, she could get more , but shes close to lifetime limit, so.. they let her in to t dm-1 access. We need to explore all options, ask all ? of our docs.
A very good point is that This FDAs' new OS stats mean that ,in theresa, if you progress on physicians "choice ', you cant get tdm-1. 2 out of 3 is better odds than usual trials. As i have said before, its gen .'s way of getting t dm-1 to the most , while satisfying This FDAs randomization rule. Theresa may close soon. So , no decision is easy.
Pert is coming soon, and t dm-1's big trial data ( EMILIA)is done, is going to FDA this month or next, so i think t dm-1 might get out before end of this yr. Then everyone here can get it.. So check all trials, the pert /tdm-1 in Ny, Boston gives everyone t dm-1. If your cancer strongly overexpresses her2 only, has come back on tac, and you cant get t dm-1 in any other trial, theresa might be a choice.
I sur eplan to turn the heat up on fda this yr. Our rally on youtube in Dec. made one big mistake : we thought our media contacts would come to us . Nope. So, we must go to them.
Anyone want to picket outside ASCO in June ? Copy our shirts, or if i can i'll send you Chicagoans some. Dont think i can swing it, but we will definitely be outside the Internatl BIO tech Convention in Boston June 18. In our pink Fix The FDA shirts. All you Bostonians , stay tuned !!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #32
phil

Further thought , aggressive means Take Action ! < I mean interms of if you have strong her2 , metastasizing quickly, dont wait, look into t dm-1 trials. Ask gen for comp. use , they may be more flexible as pert nears app. and the main t dm-1 testing is done
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
MJsHusband

I'm hoping we are not at the point where we need to request compassionate use. Do you all think we are at that point where we are quickly running out of options? Should I lower my expectations for Tykerb/Xeloda? MJ started her second round of Xeloda this week in addition to the 5 daily Tykerb pills.

I am hoping TDM-1 is a game changer, like Herceptin was thought to be. It seems Herceptin doesn't work for everyone and for those who do respond, it stops working on it's own after a number of months/years. I am reading about the success some are having using Herceptin in combination with other chemo drugs and that's a good thing. I guess I'm a bit let down after Herceptin allowed the endometrial tumors to grow so quickly. To me, it's not the "game changer" that I first read about when MJ was diagnosed. I still remember the hope I had when I first read "Her2 had a poor prognosis before Herceptin". Now I can't help but think, what if it doesn't work in combination with other drugs for MJ? I saw a study that even when Herceptin is added to Tykerb, overall survival is only extended 4 months. Is it too much to want more than that?

Sorry for the "blah" posting today. It's just how I'm feeling.

~Greg

01/11 ~ Mastectomy
03/11 ~ Radiation

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #34
phil

We went to MGH, saw the Theresa criteria on the wall there, " at least 2 prior regimens of hre2 directed therapy ', Lorraine had had herc nav, herc / gemzar, herc / carbo, tyk/xel twice, i dont know if TAC counts . ( It should ! nasty ! )
We didnt get t dm-1 today, those plats mysteriuosly dropped ! , as they can do, to 56,000. Can get txed at 50,000, but doc wants to wait, try next wk. We are not concerned, but plats are fragile. Can jump, or drop 10,000 in a day. L's have been slowly climbing, to 82,000 last time. Like a step-ladder, but havent been as low as 56,000 in months. Our doc thinks we caught a little extra dip, says , " They probably would be up if we checked them later today. " Ahhh, just as I was talking like a little platelet " guru "...humbling. We still believe in the plt support measures we have mentioned before.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
phil

greg, I posted about the theresa trial info , in response to kk1's input, then saw your post.
Having " Blah ' days is completely understandable, in fact , having raging mad days, crying days ... and laughing days, is part of the deal too. I'm looking at abeautiful pic on my desk of us in Naples , Fla. 2 yrs ago, and we had a great time in Aruba 3 yrs ago, even w/ nasty tyk/xel s/e. I hope you have great pics of jamaica. Good times are only sweeter , after hard ones.
Herceptin is a game-changer. As many as 20% of her2 pts need only herc. I know many others who got herc , w TAC, ( like taxotere, carbo , herc ) , and maybe f/u herc. Yrs NED now. Many do not post on the web, they are off living thier life, maybe doing a walk ix ayr. I greatly appreciate those who are NED who stay on the web, give us encouragment, advice.
They are discovering more and more genetic sub-types of bc, and probably will find sub-types w/in her2 +. Some her2 , like Lorraine, and yuor wife, probably have other mutations than her2 overexression, that havent been discovered yet. Some respond to tykerb, some have few s/e from tyk/ xel or tyk/herc. my wife had strong s/e but still toughed it out for months.
Whats encouraging about t dm-1 for strong overexpression of her2, is , even if there are other mutations in Lorraines cancer , T DM-1 doesnt care , it uses herc to home in on the mutated cells , and the dm-1 blows them up. End of story . Thats a game-changer.
I didnt know all this in the first 2yrs or so, but i ahve learned a swe go along. have you seen Lorraine ? On youtube ? If you want to see a " before T dm-1 " pic , go to southshoreexpress.com, type in " Lorraine heidke-mccartin ". You will see her in 2010, holding our newest granddau, w . a baseball cap hiding her wisps of hair from adria. Then watch her in the Rally video. She went SKIING last winter for the first time in 5 yrs ! Only 5 months on tdm-1, 4 months after that pic. I think some of my feedback to you has been really more about not being at a top research hosp., like Johns Hopkins , and not w/ a " friend of your onc ".
battling aggressive cancer is about being aggressive, " surprising the cancer " w/ new combos , You have many weapons left, many ! But research oncs know most about which , and when , to deploy.
Your wife had liver mets , like my wife, and had pretty quick progression after some months , on herc. Like Lorraine. But w/ L herc still worked , w. navelbine, then gemzar , for probably over 2 yrs. Tyk/xel works better for some than my wife.
Pertuzumab may be better than herc., and will be out very soon , June ? , t dm-1 i believe by end of yr. I think that anyone in a trial who progresses then , can drop out and get approved drugs like herc/ t dm-1.
This is going to be a historic yr for her2 bc tx, w/ pert and t dm-1 coming out . Thats why i wa sthrowing out looking into theresa, becuase 2 /3rds get t dm-1 . The others could ride tyk/xel or some other " physicians choice " as long as it works, or until progr. Then drop trial, go to combos w/ pert , t dm-1 later in yr.
Tyk /xel works !! Its a good tx to go w/ for aggressive her2 , But I strongly recommend moving tx to a top bc research hospital . No time to feel bad for docs, esp. ones w/ ? about overall tx planning .
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #36
phil

In the above post I meant pertuzumab will be available soon for those who progress in a trial and drop out, T DM-1 by end of yr. for those who have to drop out of trial w/ other drugs.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
phil

Oh , yeah , you're nowhere near having to think about comp. use !
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
chrisy

Greg,

Phil said a lot. All true.

There are lots of options, and this should be a very exciting year for her2 agent approvals.

One word about trial stats....they represent data points over everyone in the trial. It is also the MEDIAN, half the people had pfs of less tha 4 months , half had longer pfs. The lower "half" includes people who did not respond at all, while the upper half usually includes responders who have much, much longer..

My point is, statistics do not reflect how any individual will respond. So don't get hung up on "this will only buy us 4 months". Picture yourself on the far right tail of the curve. If you have not read it, I highly recommend "the median is not the message". You can googl it easily

It's hard not to second guess and play "what if?". You just have to do the best you can to do the research, align yourself with a top cancer center (most local oncologists are happy to work and play with these top researchers) , fight for what you think is best, and make the best choices you can. Easy, huh?

But I really second Phil's recommendation of having a relationship with a top onc, at a top research hospital, with expertise in your situation. Phil's righ on in his comments there - they have access to all the research going on, even unreported stuff, and can offer many options that are not available except at a large research facility.

Hang in there.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #39
her2 newBEE

Greg,

My wife is in a very similar situation... stage 4 at dx, strongly Her2+ by FISH, and relatively young (37). She's a little more than a year into this. I would really agree with the voices on this thread calling for Herceptin to be added back into the mix (or at least looking at this strongly). The data does show that there is statistical benefit. As targeted therapy, my wife has Tykerb + Herceptin right now along with a standard chemo agent. There were some recent reports out of the Chicago seminar as well as the SA Breast Cancer Symposium in 2009 suggesting that H+Tykerb > Tykerb alone --> http://www.rttnews.com/1154913/glaxo...dy-update.aspx. And, there are more and more studies emerging bearing out that combining multiple targeted agents in the treatment of metastatic Her2+ BC seems to be a favorable approach.

Also, agree that TDM-1 & Pertuzumab probably hold forth the most promise right now. And, there is definitely benefit from being close to a research hospital where you have access to clinical trials. However, one thing you should weigh is the balance between aggressive treatment and toxicity. By all accounts, Lord willing, these drugs will be available by the end of the year. It would make me think twice about jumping into a trial that would include a heavily toxic chemo alongside a drug like T-DM1.

As for scans, I'm not sure how critical 3 months vs. slightly longer interlude is in the overall picture (a clinical trial will require scans every 3 months or so), but I do think that it is important that you push for your wife to at least get fairly regular brain MRIs.
her2 newBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #40
phil

greg, lots of good feedback, throwing lots of stuff at you, but , meant to be helpful. Chrisys point about statistics is right on,. In fact, when first dx, Lorraine did not want to know what stage she was, saying " I am not a statistic ". And it is true !
after reading all above, I still say go get tx at a research hospital, take tyk/xel and go .
We were in the suburbs at dx. , saw anice guy, but he was ageneralist , tx'ed many types of cancer, had trained at Farber, " talked " w/ farber all the time. But he wanted to be conservative, hold back on chemo. We just knew in our gut that this was an aggressive cancer, and went to MGH for second opinion. Our onc., was aggressive, and went for aggr. tx, which was taxotere, adria, cytoxan, w/ herceptin following. Scans every 3 months . 9 months ( NED) later liver met back, right to herc./ navelbine.9 months (NED) later, liver ablation to one tumor, herc / gemzar for 18 months of NED, tyk/xel , etc. to t dm-1.
Going to MGH flat out saved Lorraines life, and t dm-1 saved it again !