HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
julierene

I'm not sure why this was brought back up with the last post. It seems to be an argument for NOT taking the Omega-3's. All it seems to say is that it helps with the heart - NOT HELPFUL FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE GOING TO DIE FROM CANCER FIRST! And that increased doses (which could very well be that of the widely sold dosage on the shelf) cause harmful effects. This is exactly why I think it's dangerous to be playing around with all the supplements. There is no telling if the cocktail of supplements many women take is harmful OR helpful.

This whole idea of balancing Omega 3 and 6 is great... but I have never once seen evidence to tell us how to do it on a daily basis with our diet - naturally. I'm a natural freak... and fish oil capsules gave me burping I couldn't deal with, fowl urine, and terrible gas... So I have looked for answers on the topic and never seen anything. Most on this site seem to push the capsules, which my system just can't tolerate.

I am definetly not on the fence with most of the women here about taking supplements - especially high doses... A good multi vitamin should be sufficient with a well balanced diet. I think something most people should do is - listen to their bodies. If high doses of this and that cause ulcers... don't take them! If it makes them feel better and is considered safe - have at it. I just don't think dietary factors play as much of a role as we would like them to. The virus thread was much more alarming to me - and probably holds a lot more weight to what we all seem to run from. Our own DNA and the constant effect viruses have on our own genetic makeup.
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
R.B.

Just bringing this back for anybody new on the forum, and adding a link to some trials suggesting long chain omega three intake is linked with a reduction in the risk of BC.

Please do talk to your ad visors about significant dietary changes. Fish oil can cause blood thinning etc.

RB

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...638#post118638

and some more

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16823509

ABSTRACT

"Essential fatty acids have long been identified as possible oncogenic factors. Existing reports suggest omega-6 (omega-6) essential fatty acids (EFA) as pro-oncogenic and omega-3 (omega-3) EFA as anti-oncogenic factors. The omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells while the omega-6 fatty acids induces growth of these cells in animal models and cell lines."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15986129

ABSTRACT

"The omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells in animal models and cell lines, but the mechanism by which this occurs is not well understood."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=9816126

[RBs comment - this is an older trial in mice but does raise the issue of the role of omega sixes - which are essential to human health but many question have been raised as to the impact where omega three and six are significantly out of balance]

ABSTRACT

"We showed previously that a diet rich in linoleic acid (LA), an omega-6 fatty acid, stimulates the growth and metastasis of human breast cancer cells in athymic nude mice. In contrast, diets supplemented with eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) or docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), omega-3 fatty acids, exert suppressive effects."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Post Kat in the Delta

Hi --I have been talking to a MD who is also a Nutritionist and and she informed me about a whole food not really an extra supplement but --for those of us who do NOT get enough: green veggies, fruit, or berries in our diets. This has LOTs of research and I know 5 MD's, and others who are NOW HEALTHIER because of it. Some of you may have heard about it..For those who haven't, go to this site and if possible somewhere there, mention you heard about it from Kathy in Mississippi. GO TO: www.juiceplusmed.com Tell me what YOU think........kat in the MS delta

ps--you cannot buy it from a store--but if you'd like to order some please e-mail me: katcdale@yahoo.com ,and I will foward to DR. Kim. Thanks. kat in the delta

Last edited by kat in the delta; 04-05-2007 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: left out
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
R.B.

The best source is likely to be a very wide ranging diet of whole veg etc, but a practical level many of us do not achieve that so there is a school of thought that green supplements are useful to widen our diet etc.

There are lots

http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...=Google+Search

Green Frog is one of a number I have used.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...t=green%20frog
Old 04-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
R.B.

The benefits of omega three are not restricted to potentially reducing the risk profile of BC. but are wide ranging including brain function.

Previous posts have included suggestions that cancerous brain cells have exhibited high levels of omega six.

Omega-3 fatty acids: evidence basis for treatment and future research in psychiatry.

Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

"The preponderance of epidemiologic and tissue compositional studies supports a protective effect of omega-3 EFA intake, particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), in mood disorders."

RB
Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
R.B.

total n-6 PUFAs may be contributing to the high risk of BC

Please talk to your advisor about significant dietary change. Omega threes can cause blood thinning etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12416257

Abstract

"We conclude that total n-6 PUFAs may be contributing to the high risk of breast cancer in the United States and that LC n-3 PUFAs, derived from fish oils, may have a protective effect."
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
R.B.

I have posted this result before but it is so striking I have included it again. It is based on comparing fat in breast tissue to whether or not lumps were invasive.

Women in the third with the highest levels of DHA had about 30% of the number of invasive results compared with the women in the third with the lowest levels of DHA.

Another trial suggests that the fat composition in the breast will change significantly in a few months with change in diet. Eg eat more omega three and less omega six and it will show up significantly in your breast tissue in a matter of months

As usual please discuss dietary changes with your advisors.

There are no definitive answers so I can only suggest you try and read round the subject a little too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11857389

ABSTRACT

Experimental studies have indicated that n-3 fatty acids, including alpha-linolenic acid (18:3 n-3) and long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit mammary tumor growth and metastasis. Earlier epidemiological studies have given inconclusive results about a potential protective effect of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on breast cancer risk, possibly because of methodological issues inherent to nutritional epidemiology. To evaluate the hypothesis that n-3 fatty acids protect against breast cancer, we examined the fatty acid composition in adipose tissue from 241 patients with invasive, nonmetastatic breast carcinoma and from 88 patients with benign breast disease, in a case-control study in Tours, central France. Fatty acid composition in breast adipose tissue was used as a qualitative biomarker of past dietary intake of fatty acids. Biopsies of adipose tissue were obtained at the time of surgery. Individual fatty acids were measured as a percentage of total fatty acids, using capillary gas chromatography. Unconditional logistic regression modeling was used to obtain odds ratio estimates while adjusting for age, height, menopausal status and body mass index. We found inverse associations between breast cancer-risk and n-3 fatty acid levels in breast adipose tissue. Women in the highest tertile of alpha-linolenic acid (18:3 n-3) had an odds ratio of 0.39 (95% confidence intervals [CI] = 0.19-0.78) compared to women in the lowest tertile (trend p = 0.01). In a similar way, women in the highest tertile of docosahexaenoic acid (22:6 n-3) had an odds ratio of 0.31 (95% CI = 0.13-0.75) compared to women in the lowest tertile (trend p = 0.016). Women in the highest tertile of the long-chain n-3/total n-6 ratio had an odds ratio of 0.33 (95% confidence interval = 0.17-0.66) compared to women in the lowest tertile (trend p = 0.0002). In conclusion, our data based on fatty acids levels in breast adipose tissue suggest a protective effect of n-3 fatty acids on breast cancer risk and support the hypothesis that the balance between n-3 and n-6 fatty acids plays a role in breast cancer. Copyright 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 11857389 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
dng

Here is a good review of omega 3 from MD anderson

http://www.mdanderson.org/department...0100508b603a14
dng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 AM   #9
R.B.

Thank you DNG.

It is indeed a very useful and informative resource - a recommended bookmark and skim / read.

RB
Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
Becky

Bringing this to the top for Nancy d

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #11
R.B.

Just bring this back for anybody new who may not have seen it.

RB
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Heart Sutra

Diet has been pretty well established to be of such individual affect, that an all encompassing dietary solution working for all people is rather unlikely. Of course, eating pretzels and malt balls is probably less helpful than eating a more balanced diet...

R.B. just curious as to your diagnosis and history, I don't see one added to your profile.

Thank you for being here and for offering all of the information that you do.

Kevin and Sue

Dx'd 10/06 IDC grade III/III
Er- pr- HER2 3+
MRM right breast 12/5/06
nodes negative
same day reconstruction started
(implants)
Stage II (2.2 cm tumor)
fairly extensive DCIS
Ct and Bone scans clean
Port placement 12/26/06
AC (4 cycles DD)to begin 1/2/07
Taxol/Taxotere (4 cycles DD)
Herceptin for one year

"There is no distinction between the one who gives, the one who receives, and the gift itself."- Hahn
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
R.B.

Heart Sutra

I have previously openly declared I am a male with an interest in the impact of omega six and omega three on a range of conditions, functions of the body etc. I am strictly amateur but do read widely. I am learning too. I do try and practice what I suggest, but could do better.

I had a relative who died of BC. I had a lump excised which was not likely to be BC but could have been and the experience was thought provoking.

RE your comment - "that an all encompassing dietary solution working for all people is rather unlikely"

Our bodies all function at a basic level in very similar ways. The food you eat alters the way you express your genes - the number of copies you switch on including HER2 and BRAC.

Trials on other issues such as cardiac health have shown in general terms people respond similarly to a low fat low protein "healthy" diet, (following general recommendations above).

Our modern diet breaks so many of the basic rules that we are not talking about fine tuning - this is about the basics. We have evolved / been designed to live in an environment with a range of diets, but those never included refined foods, high levels of sugars, salt, trans fats, vegetable oils. These push the body outside its design parameters. The consequence is a greatly increased of range of conditions.

There is a strong argument that better diet for those who eat high levels of refined food...... will reduce the risk for all [some more than others and on the average]

Of course once you have the basics sorted out one could consider fine tuning but the problem is it is very difficult to know exactly what does what. Given we were used to a much wider variety than we have now and plants are a veritable natural pharmacy (a mixture of positive and negative both of which the body can use - to support, or utilise in its armoury) variety seems a good strategy.

The China Study (about $20 US new)

http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html

It is a very though provoking read. I have questions as to whether his conclusions would have changed in any way if he had looked at the omega three six issues. He touches on fish as a protein source but there is not much on it either way in his book. (eg Eskimos would be a fish exception to the no protein rule) The fat that goes with meat protein is clearly an issue and strict moderation likely sensible as a minimum.

I would also highly recommend Smart Fats M Schmidt (there is a newer version) which is also very thought provoking.

RB
Old 05-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #14
R.B.

Just bringing this back up for new readers and adding a cross link to try and keep key material in one thread.

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=28215

RB
Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
R.B.

A useful diet link to add to the thread (also posted in articles of interest but putting a copy here makes it easier to find for those starting out)

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...z&artid=526387

Nutrition and cancer: A review of the evidence for an anti-cancer diet
Michael S Donaldsoncorresponding author1
1Director of Research, Hallelujah Acres Foundation, 13553 Vantage Hwy, Ellensburg, WA 98926, USA

t has been estimated that 30–40 percent of all cancers can be prevented by lifestyle and dietary measures alone. Obesity, nutrient sparse foods such as concentrated sugars and refined flour products that contribute to impaired glucose metabolism (which leads to diabetes), low fiber intake, consumption of red meat, and imbalance of omega 3 and omega 6 fats all contribute to excess cancer risk. Intake of flax seed, especially its lignan fraction, and abundant portions of fruits and vegetables will lower cancer risk. Allium and cruciferous vegetables are especially beneficial, with broccoli sprouts being the densest source of sulforophane. Protective elements in a cancer prevention diet include selenium, folic acid, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, chlorophyll, and antioxidants such as the carotenoids (α-carotene, β-carotene, lycopene, lutein, cryptoxanthin). Ascorbic acid has limited benefits orally, but could be very beneficial intravenously. Supplementary use of oral digestive enzymes and probiotics also has merit as anticancer dietary measures. When a diet is compiled according to the guidelines here it is likely that there would be at least a 60–70 percent decrease in breast, colorectal, and prostate cancers, and even a 40–50 percent decrease in lung cancer, along with similar reductions in cancers at other sites. Such a diet would be conducive to preventing cancer and would favor recovery from cancer as well.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
R.B.

Just to bump this up for any new visitors.

RB
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
R.B.

Just bumping back up for those that might not have seen the thread.

RB
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #18
Lauriesh

Bump

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #19
R.B.

The first trial you have seen before I think the rest a new here.

Just in case you have lost sight of the omega threes and sixes

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

"These findings reveal that the omega-3 PUFA ALA suppresses overexpression of HER2 oncogene at the transcriptional level, which, in turn, interacts synergistically with anti-HER2 trastuzumab- based immunotherapy. ii) Our results molecularly support a recent randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial suggesting that ALA may be a potential dietary alternative or adjunct to currently used drugs in the management of HER2-positive breast carcinomas. iii) Considering our previous findings demonstrating the HER2 upregulatory actions of the omega-6 PUFA linolenic acid (LA; 18:2n-6) and the HER2 down-regulatory actions of the omega-3 PUFA docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n-3) and of the omega-9 monounsaturated fatty acid oleic acid (OA; 18:1n-9), it is reasonable to suggest that a low omega-6/omega-3 PUFA ratio and elevated MUFA levels, the two prominent fat features of the Mediterranean diet, should be extremely efficient at blocking HER2 expression in breast cancer cells."

"our results indicate that (n-3) FA modify the lipid composition of membrane rafts and alter EGFR signaling in a way that decreases the growth of breast tumors."

"Use of canola oil instead of corn oil in the diet may be a reasonable means to increase consumption of n-3 fatty acids with potential significance for slowing growth of residual cancer cells in cancer survivors."

"In conclusion, we showed that erythrocyte compositions of specific fatty acids derived from fish intake, as biomarkers, are associated with lower risk of breast cancer, but further studies are needed to investigate mechanisms linked to the etiology. (c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc."

"Since DHA influences the product of a major tumour suppressor gene, this finding may contribute to the observation that high-fish consumption reduces the risk of breast cancer."

"Our results support the premise that DHA and genistein exert complementary actions whilst genistein is antagonistic to AA for controlling PGE(2) production as well as invasiveness of MDA-MB-231 cells in culture by modulating the level of NFkappaB expression."
Old 09-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
R.B.

Just bumping this up and adding a few bits I came across by accident whilst looking for something else.

RB

CoQ10.

Very small numbers and not much detail but thought provoking.

Views on CoQ10 vary amongst oncologists so please discuss any supplementation with your advisor.

I simply seek to inform options.

RB

1: Clin Biochem. 2000 Jun;33(4):279-84.Click here to read Links
Coenzyme Q10 concentrations and antioxidant status in tissues of breast cancer patients.
Portakal O, Ozkaya O, Erden Inal M, Bozan B, Koşan M, Sayek I.

Department of Biochemistry, The Medical School of Osmangazi University, Eskişehir, Turkey. portakal@ada.net.tr

OBJECTIVES: An increasing amount of experimental and epidemiological evidence implicates the involvement of oxygen derived radicals in the pathogenesis of cancer development. Oxygen derived radicals are able to cause damage to membranes, mitochondria, and macromolecules including proteins, lipids and DNA. Accumulation of DNA damages has been suggested to contribute to carcinogenesis. It would, therefore, be advantageous to pinpoint the effects of oxygen derived radicals in cancer development. DESIGN AND METHODS: In the present study, we investigated the relationship between oxidative stress and breast cancer development in tissue level. Breast cancer is the most common malignant disease in Western women. Twenty-one breast cancer patients, who underwent radical mastectomy and diagnosed with infiltrative ductal carcinoma, were used in the study. We determined coenzyme Q10 (Q) concentrations, antioxidant enzyme activities (mitochondrial and total superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), catalase), and malondialdehyde (MDA) levels in tumor and surrounding tumor-free tissues. RESULTS: Q concentrations in tumor tissues significantly decreased as compared to the surrounding normal tissues (p < 0.001). Higher MDA levels were observed in tumor tissues than noncancerous tissues (p < 0.001). The activities of MnSOD, total SOD, GSH-Px and catalase in tumor tissues significantly increased (p < 0.001) compared to the controls. CONCLUSIONS: These findings may support that reactive oxygen species increased in malignant cells, and may cause overexpression of antioxidant enzymes and the consumption of coenzyme Q10. Increased antioxidant enzyme activities may be related with the susceptibility of cells to carcinogenic agents and the response of tumor cells to the chemotherapeutic agents. Administration of coenzyme Q10 by nutrition may induce the protective effect of coenzyme Q10 on breast tissue.

PMID: 10936586 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Progress on therapy of breast cancer with vitamin Q10 and the regression of metastases.
Lockwood K, Moesgaard S, Yamamoto T, Folkers K.

Pharma Nord, Vejle, Denmark.

Over 35 years, data and knowledge have internationally evolved from biochemical, biomedical and clinical research on vitamin Q10 (coenzyme Q10; CoQ10) and cancer, which led in 1993 to overt complete regression of the tumors in two cases of breast cancer. Continuing this research, three additional breast cancer patients also underwent a conventional protocol of therapy which included a daily oral dosage of 390 mg of vitamin Q10 (Bio-Quinone of Pharma Nord) during the complete trials over 3-5 years. The numerous metastases in the liver of a 44-year-old patient "disappeared," and no signs of metastases were found elsewhere. A 49-year-old patient, on a dosage of 390 mg of vitamin Q10, revealed no signs of tumor in the pleural cavity after six months, and her condition was excellent. A 75-year-old patient with carcinoma in one breast, after lumpectomy and 390 mg of CoQ10, showed no cancer in the tumor bed or metastases. Control blood levels of CoQ10 of 0.83-0.97 and of 0.62 micrograms/ml increased to 3.34-3.64 and to 3.77 micrograms/ml, respectively, on therapy with CoQ10 for patients A-MRH and EEL.

PMID: 7612003 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994 Mar 30;199(3):1504-8.Click here to read Links
Partial and complete regression of breast cancer in patients in relation to dosage of coenzyme Q10.
Lockwood K, Moesgaard S, Folkers K.

Pharma Nord, Vejle, Denmark.

Relationships of nutrition and vitamins to the genesis and prevention of cancer are increasingly evident. In a clinical protocol, 32 patients having -"high-risk"- breast cancer were treated with antioxidants, fatty acids, and 90 mg. of CoQ10. Six of the 32 patients showed partial tumor regression. In one of these 6 cases, the dosage of CoQ10 was increased to 390 mg. In one month, the tumor was no longer palpable and in another month, mammography confirmed the absence of tumor. Encouraged, another case having a verified breast tumor, after non-radical surgery and with verified residual tumor in the tumor bed was then treated with 300 mg. CoQ10. After 3 months, the patient was in excellent clinical condition and there was no residual tumor tissue. The bioenergetic activity of CoQ10, expressed as hematological or immunological activity, may be the dominant but not the sole molecular mechanism causing the regression of breast cancer.

PMID: 7908519 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997 May 19;234(2):296-9.Click here to read Links
Activities of vitamin Q10 in animal models and a serious deficiency in patients with cancer.
Folkers K, Osterborg A, Nylander M, Morita M, Mellstedt H.

Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA.

New data on blood levels of vitamin Q10 in 116 cancer patients reveal an incidence of 23.1% of patients (N=17) with breast cancer whose blood levels were below 0.5 microg/ml. The incidence of breast cancer cases with levels below 0.6 microg/ml was 38.5%. The incidence is higher (p<0.05) than that for a group of ordinary people. Patients (N=15) with myeloma showed a mean blood level of 0.67 +/- 0.17 microg/ml. The incidence of a vitamin Q10 blood level below 0.7 microg/ml for these 15 cases of myeloma was 53.3%, which is higher (p<0.05) than the 24.5% found for a group of ordinary people.

PMID: 9177262 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]