HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
hutchibk

Re: Good Advice?

Re-read this too (that I posted earlier):

Jan 2009 by Leigh Hurst, Feel Your Boobies Founder/President:

Recently there has been a lot of press questioning the effectiveness of the breast self-exam (or BSE). The stir began when the analysis of a rather large study was released and stated that the research showed there was no benefit to performing a BSE, and, in fact, that in some cases there was increased harm due to unnecessary biopsies on non-cancerous lumps.

Wow – are you kidding me? When I read this, I initially saw red and thought – how can this be?? A BSE is what saved my life. How can anyone say that we shouldn’t be doing them and why would we discourage proactive habits by so publicly proclaiming them ineffective? And then I took a deep breath, regained my composure, and poked around to understand this a bit more.

As it turns out, the study wasn’t actually saying that BSE’s were ineffective – it was saying that BSE’s, the formal procedure known as a “breast self-exam”, is no more effective than basic breast awareness. It reflected that those women who were simply “feeling their boobies” were just as likely to find a lump as women who were doing formal BSE’s. It also mentioned the idea that many women who find their own lump say that they found it through BSE’s when actually many of them were really just “feeling their boobies.”

And so, my heart rate decreased, my face regained its natural coloring and my mind became peaceful again. After all, my personal experience actually parallels that of the findings publicized from this study. I was not doing a BSE when I found my lump, though, for lack of a better term, I might have labeled it as such initially. In reality, I was simply showering and getting dressed, and, through the course of my daily routine, noticed a change because I knew what was normal for me. I was “feeling my boobies”, which is the whole reason Feel Your Boobies ® (FYB) began. My goal was to repackage the idea of BSE’s using language that makes it feel less like a formal process and more like something you already do.

For those who read this recent press, please don’t confuse the research findings for promoting passivity because that’s far from what was said. The point was whether you breast self-exam (BSE) or “feel your boobies” (FYB), you’re just as likely to find a lump. So, while some of you gals may continue to BSE and others, like me, may prefer FYB, the important thing is that you do it. Are you doing it?

I think that DL is correct on so many levels... however, there has to be a much more appealing and visionary way to promote the "new" info. I think the NBCC has done themselves and the bc community a great disservice by proposing the info in such a manner...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.

I did monthly exams and found mine while on vacation in Washington D.C. (doing my monthly exam in the shower)

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Colleen007

Had a baseline mammogram at 35 (normal) and found my own lump when I was 38 and pregnant with my daughter...I had not had any other mammograms as they weren't recommended until age 40. I was not doing a BSE. I rolled over in bed and my hand brushed against the lump.
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Ora

I also discovered my lump myself
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
Rich66

Somewhere I heard that many breast cancers have been there for years before becoming detectable by palpation. So the relativity of "early" detection should be considered. Very dense breasts can hide lumps as well, probably better with an MRI in that case. My mom's wasn't picked up by mammo because of location. I wish PET scans and MRI were cheap enough to be included in regular physicals. Could help with many types of cancers.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Unregistered

For the record , found mine 3 mos or so after mammo, in the shower, IIB, HER2+. Not really looking for it but felt like something felt different when I picked my arm up. Guessing mine was missed as it was on the periphery of what might be seen on mammo. So I would not write off SBEs in favor of mammos.

Bev
Old 10-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Karen Wheel

Joe - wow - lots of stories here! I found mine - because I had a pain in my chest low - like in the ribs right at the bottom of the breast --- it woke me up (and at that point I was a sound sleeper!) in the middle of the night.... it kept me awake thinking and I was searching around and finally found what appeared to be something attached to the muscle near the rib. I knew immediately it wasn't good. Took me a month to get to the GYC, as I was in the US when I found it and then with Christmas ... so my doc said that a mamo and ultrasound were in order... did them 10 days later - and went straight after that to the Oncology....
I was so lucky as it hurt. If not, a normal - annual mamo would have never caught it - the doctor doing the mamo - had a really hard time getting a photo of it, even after he did the ultrasound, because of the position and it was almost 2cm...
AND - I had done 2 mamograms before - with "perfect" results - they said there was not even anything fiberous in my breasts (so it was the LAST thing I was thinking of!) and I know, I was bad, but I never did self exams, and had no shower card .... so without the pain, I would have not found it and with Her2 +++ I could have had a HUGE tumor by this time --- (6 months after surgery now!) and my lymph nodes were clear!
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
bikerchick

Found mine in the shower also at age 41. Was due for my second yearly mamogram a month later. My doc thought it was a cyst too but decided to do a needle biopsy to be safe. Thank God she did.
bikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
sarah

2nd time around found a lump that turned out to be cancerous and had spread outside the breast - same breast as my mastectomy!
1st time was through a mammo.