HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
hutchibk

I agree with everyone here, as my onc seems to fit all of the criteria listed... I feel like the luckiest patient on the planet. He and I make great partners. He lets me engage him and be a compelling patient. Over the last 4.5 years, he has gently taught me much about my cancer, and he has overseen my own research as I have also schooled myself. He wants to see me live forever, he is invested in my longevity. He has a wonderful sense of humor. My health and living as normal a life as possible is of utmost importance. He has a wiley little way of putting me off the scent of a possible side effects from certain treatments - a reverse psychology if you will. And it is actually very effective. He tells me not to worry, that that is what he is for. He is the worrier. He is aggressive, open-minded and thoughtful, and at the same time skeptical and conservative. He knows my limits and I have made it clear to him that I will do my part to tolerate anything and everything that he needs to throw at me. We trust each other. He gives me a voice and he listens to me. He even makes fun of me. He is so much like my big brother it is scary. But that's not an actual criteria that you need to look for... : )

P.S. - perhaps most important of all, he encourages email contact, so if I have a question, I can send it to him and always hear back from him within 24 hours.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-03-2008 at 11:46 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #22
Faith in Him

Thanks everyone for your imput and for your sweet comments about my children.

Brenda, I like how your onc. wants to see you live forever. That is a very good trait indeed. Oh, and also that he is the worrier. It shows that he is really on your team.

Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
tdonnelly

Hi Tonya,
I have had a parade of oncologists throughout my treatment - 5 in all... Anyway, in my opinion a Good Oncologist takes the time to listen to my side effects and works with me to lessen my discomfort and NEVER SAYS: "I never heard of that before" or Herceptin doesn't cause this or that and then dismiss me as he/she hurries to write the next script for treatment.

Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 10/2006 HER2+
tdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #24
Unregistered

I think smart and competent is more important than nice. Mine I don't particularly like on a personal level, but he has always treated side effects appropriately, listened, and is completely up to speed on what is going on in the field. I have had nice doctors who have turned out to be idiots - it would be great to find doctors who are both nice and competent at the same time, but when that's not possible, go for the smart ones always.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #25
swimangel72

I really like my oncologist because he has a wonderful bedside manner and is tops in his field (I did my homework and checked him out!) While I was in the hospital for the staph infection he visited me every day for 11 days and his eyes and smile just lit up the room with kindness and intelligence! He was warm - quick to give a pat on the back or a hug - and very reassuring. HOWEVER.....I almost switched when I had to deal with his nurse practitioner (the snippy nurse) - but changed my mind when my onc called me at home and again reassured me that everything was OK - and that I should personally see him for my next infusion. All the other members of his staff are lovely - they get paperwork done so quickly (not like my breast surgeon's office who were so slow.)

Still - I feel like I haven't done as much homework as you have Joan. How did you find out your onc was giving you the wrong amount of drugs? How did you first suspect? Other than asking my nurse if the bag hanging on my pole is Herceptin or Saline (it's obvious when she's giving me the Navelbine) I wouldn't even know what question to ask concerning my dosages. So how does one ask that question without creating a feeling of distrust?

Sometimes I get different answers from my oncologist than the nurse practitioner - he told me they would routinely check my liver enzymes ever time I get a treatment (which is once every two weeks.) When I asked the nurse today if they would be sending my blood out to check the liver enzymes, she said I would only get my liver enzymes checked every three months. So now I'm going to have to call my onc and ask him - I'm not trying to get her into trouble - but who do I believe? Is there a web site that details treatment protocols like mine so I could double-check on everything myself?? It's questions like these that make me feel awkward and uncomfortable in my onc's office.
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #26
chrisy

I'm going to respond to this without reading what anyone else says.

Here's what I think:

1. Smart, knows his/her stuff, keeps current
2. Not only open to, but suggests you get other/different opinions and work with others for your best interests. If they are not "cutting edge", refers you or themselves to someone who is.
3. Willing to be creative and think outside the box
4. Cares about YOU.
5. Listens to you.
6. Gives you hope.

I've had 3 wonderful oncologists. Each of them different, but all of them shared these qualities to a greater or lesser degree. I've been blessed to have them complement each other so I had ALL of these things at once (just not from a single person).
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote