HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #21
Brenda_D

I had my chest port put in last January. They used Twilight sleep, and I don't remember anything after the anesthesiologist said "and now you will get some nice happy juice". Lol
My port area was sore for awhile. Mostly because I kept laying on that side during sleep, and pushing against it.
I don't know if my port is getting closed off or what, but they haven't been able to draw blood from it, and last time I got Herceptin, the nurse had a hard time "pushing" the first flush in.
Otherwise, I'm happy to have it and not have them dig around to find a vein every time I get a treatment.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #22
weezie1053

Hard to believe, but I have had my ports for over a year now. Accessing the port will come second nature as brushing your teeth after while. I remember using the numbing cream, then I graduated to ice. Now, the nurses and I count "1,2,3" and pop the sucker in. Voila!

It will save your veins, and you will wonder what all the fuss was about a year later.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #23
Joanne S

Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #24
Joanne S

I have an implanted port in my chest just as shown on my previous post.

I hope you find this information helpful. Best to you.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Central-Venous-Catheters-Topic-Overviewfficeffice"

What is a central venous catheter?>>
A central venous catheter, or vascular access device (VAD), is a long, thin, flexible tube used to give medications, fluids, nutrients, or blood products over a long period of time, usually several weeks or more. The catheter is inserted through the skin into a vein often in the neck or chest. It is threaded through the vein until it reaches a large vein near the heart.>>
>>
>>
What types of central venous catheters are there?>>
There are several types of central venous catheters.>>

· A PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line is a central venous catheter inserted into a vein in the arm rather than a vein in the neck or chest. >>

· A tunneled catheter is surgically inserted into a vein in the neck or chest and passed under the skin. Only the end of the catheter is brought through the skin through which medications can be given. Passing the catheter under the skin helps keep it in place better, makes it less restrictive of activities, and makes it less visible. >>

· An implanted port is similar to a tunneled catheter but is left entirely under the skin. Medications are injected through the skin into the catheter. Some implanted ports contain a small reservoir that can be refilled in the same way. Once filled, the reservoir slowly releases the medication into the bloodstream. An implanted port is less obvious than a tunneled catheter and requires very little daily care. It has less impact on a person's activities than a PICC or tunneled catheter. >>
>>
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:58 AM   #25
Lee

Kriss -
If you get a port in your chest, it is completely under the skin so no special care is needed. It just looks like a bump on your chest. When the port is accessed, they have to stick it with a short needle, but it really doesn't hurt much at all.

It is so much easier when getting chemo - I have never regretted having one put in.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation I Love My Port!

My port was installed in '98 in my upper chest under twilight. I love my port. It is a tiny half a golf ball lump that is a bluish tinge.

I used to get a lidocaine spray, but nurses have told me that IT IS JUST ANOTHER INVITATION FOR GERMS AND AN INFECTION TO GET IN THERE. So, now, I just brave it out. A skilled nurse gets dead center and you basically feel nothing.

IF YOU ARE BETWEEN TX for a long period of time -- remember -- you must get your port FLUSHED monthly!

IF YOU HAVE DENTAL WORK (including cleaning) my onc says that if you have a port -- YOU MUST TAKE AMOXICYLINE (how in the world do you spell that??!) which is an antibiotic -- 1 hr prior to dental appt. 4 X 500 mg.

A PORT IS A DIRECT LINE INTO YOUR VEINS AND HEART. You must protect it at all times. I am most particular about who I allow to access it. (When I broke my ankle and required surgery in '01, they did not know how to access a port in anesthesia, or they preferred not to use it.) After surgery, I was receiving morphine through my port, when it came time to check out sev days later I kept calling the nurse to take out the morphine needle. Apparently, she didn't know how and kept leaving and coming back, then when she removed it/yanked it out, blood starting pouring all over! So, I have learned a good lesson.

Before and after accessing, they use saline to clear the port and then heplok to seal it. They also use something to sterilize the area prior. Afterward, they put a circle bandaid to keep in place till I shower, as they would an injection. I am told they do not need to put gauze and tape on it, it isn't a wound.

HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL! My port is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I just love having it (as the one part of me that is *skinny* is my veins)! I am told once they find one it rolls over, collapses or blows out. So they just keep stabbing -- and digging -- away otherwise. Be good to your port, ladies. It's your best friend. Keep it, and YOU, safe.... Love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote