HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

December 24th 2001

Just 5 short years ago, if you were dignosed as HER2+, your oncologist would tell you "your cancer is aggresive and your prognosis is poor". If you were stage I to III, you had to wait for a recurrence before he would give you Herceptin. There was a myth that it caused heart attacks. In 2001, if you were diagnosed with brain mets, your survival was measured in months. There was very little information on HER2, Herceptin, or metastatic breast cancer on the internet.

Today, thanks to dedicated researchers we have turned the corner. Women who are HER2 positive now have a better prognosis than those that aren't. Tykerb another targeted therapy drug should be approved by the FDA in February. Great strides in HER2 vaccines are being made at Walter-Reed Medical Center and at the University of Washington. There are many new compounds in the laboratory ready to enter Phase I trials.

The HER2 Support Group met the challenge. Through our website, we have recruited numerous candidates to participate in various clinical trials, including 1 in the Phase I trial of Tykerb, several in the Walter Reed trial, 10 out of 20 for the Phase I trial of the vaccine in Seattle, and numerous candidates for the adjuvant trials of Herceptin here and overseas. Our members are the most educated of all breast cancer survivors.

Personally, 2006, was a terrible year with the loss of Lyn, Lisa, Hope, Janelle, Linda, Sherry from WV and others. Each passing makes the operation of this website just a bit harder.

But on the other hand, we received glowing reports from many oncologists that we met in San Antonio this month. Dr. Lupe Salazar could not speak highly enough about our "hospitality volunteer" in Seattle - Stephanie. Sassy's oncologist told us how Sassy was so informed that it made her visits with him - most enjoyable. Perhaps the greatest compliment was given at ASCO in June, when Dr. Mark Pegram referred to us as the "HER2 Support Group activists" before an audience of about 1500 fellow medical professionals.

Joe and I receive too much credit for this website for it is all of the members who help to make this website the leading resource for HER2 breast cancer patients in the world. We just built the forum, it took all of you to fill it.

We wish to thank each and every one of you for without your active participation, the HER2 Support Group would not exist.

Hugs, well wishes and happy holidays to ALL.

HAPPY FIFTH ANNIVERSARY

Christine and Joe
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote