HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Joe
Webmaster

Re: BCA fighting to keep tdm1 off market

I do not feel that one letter from one breast cancer organization will sway Genentech from applying for approval of T-DM1 or the FDA from approving the application.

The application will probably cover just those stage IV patients who are still progressing after treatment with Herceptin, Tykerb and other drugs.

Genentech currently has a phase III trial underway since January 2009. The trial design calls for 580 patients. Considering the success of the Phase II trials, I would assume tha the trial will complete recruitment within the next few months. The final data has an estimated completion date of August 2013 and will probably use that data for their formal FDA application . There is no reason why patients that NEED the drug now should needlessly die. As someone else stated, the side effect of not having access to T-DM1 is certain death.

I cannot understand why BCA would take a stand on an application not yet submitted as no one has any idea what the application will cover.

If it only covers those patients who ran out of options...then I support it.

One only has to do a search on "Irene from Tampa" from September 1, 2009 to her death would understand why this approval is needed. I personally spent hours on the phone with Genentech and others advocating for her to receive T-DM1 to no avail due to FDA requirements.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #22
schoonder

Joe, maybe time spend on the phone with Genentech, trying to get Irene back on t-dm1 medication wasn't all for naught. Roche, today during a conference call announced that they will file this year for t-dm1 3L approval based on strong data results seen from the phaseII trial.
The FDA, according to Pascal Soriot, head of the Basel, Switzerland -based company's drug unit: “They accepted the data and with great enthusiasm.”
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
hutchibk

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44689

Joe's update today.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #24
Joan M

I had the opposite experience with trying to get into a TDM1 trial: I hadn't taken any chemos for advanced bc and therefore was not eligible because Genentech kept ratcheting up the ante, pitting the drug against more and more proven agents. The trial was the only option I considered in place of having a lung radiofrequency ablation for the tumor recurrence. It was either the RFA or the trial.

The quicker the approval, the better. Top oncs at research hospitals can work on skipping steps and getting approval when a drug shows a lot of promise.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2023 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
'lizbeth

I think that stage IV cancer fighters should be exempted from the current system and with a legal waiver to the developing comany be allowed access to drugs that might improve and prolong their life.

Why do we allow others to die to "protect the data". Have a group that is exempt from the data and make compassionate use more accessible.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #26
Unregistered

I am deeply dismayed by the recent denial of fast tracking, and wonder if your organization is a cover for insurance company interests that would rather we suffer and die on the old awful chemos that have access to promising new, targeted, more expensive drugs......
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
ElaineM

Wink Re: BCA fighting to keep tdm1 off market

I think we have some good contacts if we want to start a petition/writing campaign. Maybe we should flood their inboxes with mail. Maybe they need to hear from a few hundred or a few thousand actual patients/consumers who are directly affected by their decisions.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #28
chrisy

Unregistered:
That would be a question to ask them. Link to their website is
http://bcaction.org/index.php?page=about-bca
Check out their website and see what they are about.

My personal opinion, having met/heard representatives from this group on several occasions, is that they are very passionate about what they believe and have a strong activist and social justice orientation. They think cancer sucks (as do we) but have a very different agenda about how to deal with it. I especially have very different experiences and beliefs with respect to if the pharmaceutical industry is friend or foe.

I disagree with them on a lot of issues and priorities, but I do not see them as shills for the insurance company.

From their website description of "what we do"
1. Advocates for policy changes in three priority areas:
- Treatment by shifting the balance of power at the FDA away from the pharmaceutical industry and towards the public interest while advocating for more effective and less toxic treatments.
- Environment by decreasing involuntary environmental exposures that put people at risk for breast cancer.
- Inequities by creating awareness that it is not just genes, but social injustices - political, economic, and racial inequities - that lead to disparities in breast cancer outcomes.

2. Provides information to anyone who needs it via newsletters, Web sites, e-alerts, and a toll-free number.
3. Organizes people to do something besides worry.

Their world view confuses me. For example their actions and position re TDM1- in my view fast approval of TDM1 serves the public interest because it is a more effective and less toxic treatment. To have the FDA refuse to file accelerated approval because they felt that regardless of Her2 status, trial subjects should have had more failures of non-targeted chemos is not a victory under either of these "priorities".

What I would say in their favor and would like to learn from that organization and others is they how to mobilize people and effect change. I think they have things to teach us in that realm. Of course, the first political changes I would want to influence would be to push the FDA in the OTHER direction.

They have a formidable organization and website, and although Her2support has a different mission (and Joe and Christine have not wished to have political discussions "in their living room"), as individuals we could be better armed to handle those issues.

Here's a tip from their website on how to write letters to the editor:
http://bcaction.org/index.php?page=t...-to-the-editor
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
Unregistered

As an FYI, I have never seen a double blind Phase III for a cancer drug. In general, the Phase III studies are "standard of care" or the drugs currently used in treatment compared to "standard of care" plus your drug. In Stage IV BC patients, a Phase III trial could be designed so that "standard of care" includes Tykerb/Herceptin plus a chemo, for example, vs TDM-1. It is unethical to run a placebo controlled trial in patients that would surely progress without some form of treatment. What becomes a problem is designing a trial that includes drugs that many patients have not already received in some combination vs the new drug. It's not as easy as it sounds since the combination you choose for comparison could go out of favor during the trial and the trial then needs to be amended. Meanwhile, you still need to show statistical significance and fulfill other FDA requirements or risk not getting your drug approved.

Another guest.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #30
chrisy

Guest -
There can be a double blind phase III study for a cancer, or any drug but you are correct that there would not be a placebo-controlled trial in this setting - it would always be in comparison to "standard of care".

Double blind just means that neither the patient or people giving the drugs know which drug is being given, so this is supposed to eliminate the placebo effect - where belief a therapy works/won't work actually impacts the results.

You make an excellent point about the moving target on "standard of care", and the challenges of designing trials with the appropriate comparisons. To include Ixempra for as a "you have to have tried that first" doesn't make sense to me as it has only just recently been approved itself.

Conversely, requiring MBC patients to have had Taxol AND Anthracycline is archaic as the first line MBC combination of choice now is herceptin and a taxane, not anthracycline.

Agreed, you have to show statistical significance either way but with the variety of therapies and the velocity of new developments, the FDA and drug co's need to do a MUCH better job of assessing new therapies more quickly.

Just as the "standard of care" changes, the "standards of approval" need to keep up with the science. That doesn't mean lowering standards, but as the science and oncology community moves more to personalized therapy (based on the individual's cancer biology), the old system of testing everything on everyone just doesn't cut it.

Just my humble opinion since I'm neither a scientist or an oncologist. Just a dumb Stage IV lab rat hoping for a cure...soon.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #31
Soccermom

Gotta wonder what BCA thinks of the ISPY trials????

MUST SEE THIS! very hopeful

please watch this piece,I was lucky enough to sit in on (via webcast) and be part of the Q & A for this press conference.

http://vimeo.com/10262851
http://vimeo.com/10262072
http://vimeo.com/10263498
http://vimeo.com/11878324
There are 10 separate videos which are numbered and I posted just a few URL's... I believe this is EXCELLENT news for all

Last edited by Soccermom; 08-31-2010 at 09:01 AM..
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #32
Unregistered

Chrissy,

Thank you for your post, all very good points. I would like to comment that you are not at all a "stupid" Stage IV patient but obviously very knowledgeable and I am right there with you hoping that the companies and the FDA can figure out better ways to get drugs approved. Also, good point SoccerMom regarding the ISPY trials, a real breakthrough in trial design.

Guest again.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #33
Jackie07

I went to the BCA site and read some of their 'actions' from the 'Timeline' section http://bcaction.org/index.php?page=timeline:

1993 BCA testifies before the FDA in opposition to resuming the Breast Cancer Prevention Trial, a study of the drug tamoxifen in healthy women, because of reports of deaths from uterine cancer in the trial.

1995 BCA calls for the drug tamoxifen to be added to the list of substances known to the State of California to cause cancer. Despite the objections of Zeneca (the drug’s manufacturer) and then-Governor Pete Wilson, BCA’s argument prevails in 1996

1997 Citing the absence of evidence that routine mammography screening reduces breast cancer deaths for women aged 40 to 49—and noting the risks of mammography screening, including radiation exposure and the risk of false positives and false negatives—BCA publicly opposes the call by the National Cancer Institute, the American Cancer Society, and others for routine screening among women in this age group.

1997 BCA revises its mission statement and becomes the first national breast cancer organization to adopt a policy explicitly prohibiting accepting financial support from corporations, such as pharmaceutical companies and corporate polluters, that profit from or contribute to the cancer epidemic.

1999 Over the objections of other breast cancer organizations and the American Cancer Society, BCA successfully calls for the National Cancer Institute to promptly release the results of clinical trials testing high-dose chemotherapy/autologous bone marrow transplants for breast cancer.

BCA leads the call to guarantee that poor and uninsured women screened for breast cancer at state expense receive prompt access to quality treatment at state expense.

2002 BCA’s web site wins the People’s Choice Webby Award for best health web site.
BCA jointly releases the first edition of the report “State of the Evidence: What is the Connection Between the Enivronment and Breast Cancer?”

2003 BCA presents testimony to the FDA opposing attempts to reintroduce silicone breast implants, citing numerous safety concerns.
BCA launches an online aromatase inhibitor survey to collect information on the side-effects of this new form of breast cancer treatment.

2007 Asserts a unique perspective, focusing on cost and effectiveness, in opposition to approval of Avastin as a treatment for breast cancer.
Successfully argues for cancellation of STELLAR Trial, maintaining that pills for prevention always results in disease substitution.
Publishes initial Aromatase Inhibitor Side-effects Survey results

2008 Successfully advocates for removal of phthalates in cosmetics made by Secret, Arrid and Christian Dior.
Think Before You Pink Critical Questions appear in promotional literature and media statements from Susan G. Komen For The Cure and the American Cancer Society.

2009 Launches Milking Cancer campaign demanding that Eli Lilly stop making rBGH, thus removing it from the world market. Thousands take action in the fist week.
Successfully testifies on behalf of patients at the FDA against the approval of Doxil for metastatic breast cancer.
Joins ACLU in lawsuit against Myriad Genetics for their patents on breast cancer genes BRCA1 and BRCA2.
Dannon follows suit to General Mills and announces plans to go rBGH-free.
In response to consumer demand and BCA’s Think Before You Pink campaign, General Mills announces plans to go rBGH-free.

2010 BCA wins lawsuit against Myriad Genetics by challenging the company’s patents on breast cancer genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2. Patents were ruled invalid by a United States Federal judge on March 29, 2010.
Breast Cancer Action celebrates its 20th anniversary year!
FDA is responsive to BCA's concerns about ESA's, as well as time of FDA informational conference calls
Working on legislation to prohibit patenting of genes, in particular on breast cancer genes BRCA1 and BRCA2
BCA's policy is hailed as a leader in the field of screening and mammography
BCA begins exploratory conversations with Eli Lilly

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-31-2010 at 03:39 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #34
Soccermom

This is the link to the lawsuit as filed by the ACLA and MANY, MANY others. It was NOT "BCA's lawsuit".. multitudes of patient advocacy orgs,patients etc. filed the suit. Joanna Rudnick producer of the documentary,"In the Family" takes Myriad to task in the film..

Funny enough this is an organization (BCA) that has historically been extremely vocal and aggressively AGAINST genetic testing for many years.
Have to wonder EXACTLY what their agenda is ,"methinks thou doth protest too much" ??

(okay forgive me my rant, I'll get off my soapbox now)
http://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/frees...ppto_uspto.pdf

Hugs to you Jackie!

Last edited by Soccermom; 08-31-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #35
Unregistered soccermom

Spam above!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #36
StephN

Wink Re: BCA fighting to keep tdm1 off market

Took out the spammer.
The above is a good conversation and I wonder where BCA now stands?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #37
schoonder

"wonder where BCA now stands"

Hope they're satisfied because Genentech pretty much provided what BCA was looking for. Such as two "large scale" phase III evaluations, one (Marianne) in 1st-line setting and the other (Emilia that's now ~70% enrolled) in 2nd-line setting. Roche also plans to conduct a third phase III trial (T-DM1 vs doctor's choice) and expects 1st patient in (FPI) during 3 Q 2011. Genentech's extension trial in a somewhat limited fashion is still ongoing.
schoonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #38
radiant

There's no other way to say this: THIS infuriates me. It's wrong, wrong, wrong. There must be something we can do?

- Kim
2008 - on Arimidex/Herceptin - stable lymph node.
2009 - stable on Arimidex/Herceptin
2010 - lymph node progression and liver mets.
2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.
2010 - did Xeloda & Tykerb - MAJOR progression in liver in only 6 weeks.
Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing
June 2012 - chemo break
Sept 19, 2012 - start t-dm1. Chose this over going back on Ixempra.
radiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #39
unregistered

BCA says that poor and uninsured women are covered under the National Breast and Cervical Cancer screening program. WRONG! Only women who are 40-64 are eligible for the breast cancer screening program and between 40-50 it's up to the provider's discretion.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #40
hutchibk

True, Soccermom. It was NOT BCA's lawsuit. It actually was initiated by my friend Genae Girard here in Austin who is a member of my local b/c support group. I was in support of it early on when she would come to me to talk about it, but I backed away to the sidelines big time when she started recruiting the ACLU and BCA as well as other activists to help move it forward. I know it helped her in the long run get the result she wanted, but it felt smarmy at the point that I saw who the others were that were jumping on the train. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126041358100284931.html

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote