HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
tdonnelly

Thyroid Difficulties

My thyroid disease clashed with BC punch press biopsy and red pill - Levothyroxine, chemo & Herceptin treatments. TSH too high then too Low. Last Herceptin was Sept/Oct 2008 and recent bloodwork showed too High. Levothyroxine was 175 mcg (purple pill) for 1 yr (too high) reduced to 150 mcg last month (blue pill.) I still dont feel well. Is there a Doctor out there that Knows How to Care for Hypothyroid/Breast Cancer? I gained 65 lbs to date since all this began in 10/2006. Dont tell me to see an Endocronologist I was seen by two quacks already.

All these irradic levels of TSH and Thyroid Pharaseuticals are causing additional health problems.

I put in an email to Dr. Oz on Oprah for investigation and answers...
Adriamycin x 4/Cytoxin x 4/Taxol x 4
Herceptin x 17
Radiation: 5 1/2 weeks
Second Reoccurrance: August 2010
Right Breast Masectomy
12 doses of Taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
tdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
juanita

i have another sinus infection and i never got them like this till after i did herceptin. that is the one thing that has not gone away. well, that and a little neuropathy but that ain't as bad as these sinus infections.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
DianneS

Herceptin questions

Hi all - again,

I posted a thread about Herceptin related side effects not realizing that this thread was so long! I thought the last responses were in '06. Duh. Good that I found the rest of the thread...chemo brain....

I have the nice leg and feet cramps. My family doc gave me a prescription for compression hose, which helps and also helps with the possibility of getting varicose veins. Apparently chemo damages the valves in esp. the legs, causing legs/feet to swell and veins to burst....chemo, the gift that keeps on giving, eh? I'm hoping this is temporary.

Diarrhea almost daily, slowed down somewhat with aloe vera juice mixed with any other kind of juices. 2 ozs a day. Seems to help with acid reflux as well.

I seem to have an all-over achiness in the early morning hours. It disrupts my sleep. But once I"m up and walking around I'm ok. I'm on Herceptin only after finishing 5.5 sessions of Taxotere and Carboplatin March 12. My most recent Herceptin was April 23. I get them every 3 weeks.

Besides the side effects mentioned above, I get a rash in different spots, mostly on my legs.
Dry eyes alternating with runny eyes and nose, fatigue. Some days I feel almost normal but then it feels like someone took my batteries out - my energy just goes!

Is there any evidence to show that doing 9 months or a year of Herceptin makes any difference? I think I read that in Europe, they are finding that 9 months does as much good as a year? I'd like to get off of this stuff.

I think my diagnosis will show up at the bottom....if not, it is:

DCIS 50%, IDC, right breast, 2.1 cm tumor, no vascular invasion or lymphatic invasion found, bilateral mastectomies done 9/08, Stage 1 or 2A (because of tumor size) Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin begun Nov/08, completed March 12, still doing Herceptin x 3 weeks....yuck.....

Thanks all,
Diannes
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Ladies and Gents:

I recently started having puffy eyes when I wake up that lasts for hours. The kind of eyes you get if you cry yourself to sleep the night before! It is very alarming! Also, i noticed that my lymph nodes on my clavicle on the breast cancer side puff up sometimes too!

The sinuses, the sinueses ugh. and the crunch, burnt, peely feet! whaaa
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
DianneS

Hi Terri,

Try a rich, creamy foot cream for your feet just before bed, then put some socks on (I know, not very sexy) and leave them on all night. I did this all through chemo and it really helped....afterwards as well.

For sinuses, try "Ocean" nasal spray to keep the membranes hydrated. There are other brands with similiar ingreds. and at least there are no chemicals in this stuff, just natural.

Hope it works for ya,
Diannes
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
DianneS

Question Herceptin side effects

Hi Terri,

So your eyes sound like mine. I look sometimes like I've been on a crying jag, esp. when I wake up in the a.m. Everyone in the medical world says they don't see anything about Herceptin causing it. Yeah right.

Have you found anything to help?

I sent you a reply that might help your feet and sinuses. This stuff sucks...my doc/onc calls it 'baby chemo'. Is she crazy?

Diannes
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Dianne, Steph,

Yeah, I'll be seeing my onc on Monday. I will tell her all about my issues. I'm almost done with my year. I think I have 2 treatments left. Muga keeps dropping slowly. Last one was 53.

I just feel UGH. slow, sluggy and worthless.

Steph, if i have a clot, will my port work? because my port has been working okay.

It's like I have allergies, and I never had allergies before. I have really bad nights where my nose is so clogged that I snore (at least that's what my daughter told me ) It's those nights that I wake up with the puffy eyes.

but i have hair!!
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
ElaineM

Wink Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

Sorry Flori. Some men just can't handle a strong woman like you. There are alot more fish in the sea. Smile.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Alyce

Hi Dianne- Just read your post. Of all the crazy places to find answers- I was having a massage in Sedona, Arizona by an Aruvedic Nurse (yes both nurse and Aruvedic!) I had been having horrible leg and foot cramps. Without missing a beat she said I needed magnesium. Bought some tablets and NO MORE leg and foot cramps. I couldn't believe the answer was so simple. I swim 3 times a week so I don't have any joint or body aches. I attribute any good stuff without side effects, to lots of reading about nutrition, mental health care and actually making the changes.
No more processed foods, only yogurt and a little cheese for dairy, lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, a little grass fed beef and some salmon. I also continue with counseling and antidepressants. It is a new "normal" that really takes some work. Do you have access to find some support systems?
Alyce
2008 - HER2 positive, stage 1, chemo (4 rounds), Herceptin (one year), Radiation, Femara
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
StephN

Exclamation

Terri B -
Don't know what to say about "burnt, peely feet" except that mine peeled from the chemos and healed well all the time I was on Herceptin.

If you are feeling VERY puffy and it goes down in the day and comes back during the night, you may want to have your port checked for a clot. The puffy, teary eyes, worse in the morning, was a big sign of my clot.

Watery eyes from Herceptin, but should not be puffy.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
DianneS

Herceptin and eye issues

Alyce,
That is good advice. I tried magnesium but I get diarrhea from even 250 mg cut in 1/2 - so what to do?
I too have changed the way I eat - not that I was eating processed foods to begin with, but I have added more fruit and veggies. We aren't meat eaters except for chicken and I buy that organic. No, I don't have much support as I live in a very remote area in B.C. Canada. I'm not much for joining groups anyway, and feel this is such a personal thing that I don't want to discuss it with counselors who haven't 'been there' so to speak. I'm dealing with it ok, I guess.
My eyes are mainly bugging me right now. The eyelids are red and look like I've been crying. Eye doc said to put moist heat on them which I have not done yet I don't have a mediport and never did so it must not be a clot, as one poster mentioned (can't see your post, sorry) I assume Herceptin causes irritated eyelids. Eye doc said my eyes are dry so they over compensate by making too many tears. Did anyone find any over the counter stuff that helps stop this? I hate going outside looking like I've just had a good cry.
Thanks,
Diannes
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Cal-Gal

Fatigue
Painful joints- hips, knees, lower back.
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
pmm10414

I took Taxol/Herceptin prior to surgury and now am on Herceptin only weekly. I will go to every 3 weeks soon. The biggest issues are with my nose -- doctor has me taking daily Claritan which seems to help. I have some soreness but am not sure if that is still from my surgery -- bilateral masectomy 4 weeks ago. Radiation not started yet.
CHANGED TO STAGE IIIA AFTER MRI
SURGURY FOR TWO PET SCAN NODES IN CHEST NEGATIVE (DEC08)
AC (4 COMPLETE MAR09)
TAXOL HERCEPTIN (12 TREATMENTS COMPLETE IN JUN09 )
SURGERY IN JUN09 - COMPLETE RESPONSE (BOTH BREASTS NEG AND 9/9 LYMPH NODES NEG) NED
HERCEPTIN RESTARTED IN JUL09 WEEKLY UNTIL JUL10
PET SCAN - NEGATIVE DEC11 AND AUG09
BRAC - NEGATIVE SEP09
28 RADS COMPLETE SEP09
BONE SCAN - NEGATIVE MAR10
PET SCAN - NEGATIVE DEC11
PET SCAN - SARCOIDOSIS OCT11 thought cancer was back thank The Lord it is not they think!!!!!!
pmm10414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
Lani

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

bumping this 3 1/2 year old thread up. It holds quite a wealth of information thanks to the over 440 contributions from her2support members
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
juanita

i think the main problem i have still is sinus problems. they just won't go away!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
bejuce

My teeth seem to be very sensitive now, especially when I eat something. I haven't had this feeling before and it's hard to explain. Has anyone else experienced weird teeth sensations/pain while on Herceptin?

Thanks!

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
Marily

I have had very weird feeling in my teeth and sensitivity to cold especially . I have been going to my dentist about every three months since we found weird little worm like holes in a couple teeth ( a friend also had this same thing happen to her teeth on Herceptin.) I have not had cavities but had to have the teeth with the worm holes (sorry about that) drilled and capped. I really do not know the reason? but I have learned not to drink icy cold water etc and just have the dentist watch my teeth.
Not much information on why but hope it helps to know others have had similar side effects.
Marilyn
Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
Cal-Gal

Hello bejuce-

Interesting that you posted this.

Yes-just recently this past week started having sensitivity in my teeth-and I did not relate it to the Herceptin!!!!

I have completed 15 treatments of 52 --

All of a sudden I am sensitive to cold-sweets-
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Jackie07

Be sure to gargle with salt + specks of baking soda after every meal and before going to bed.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 09-22-2009 at 07:54 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #20
DianneS

Diarrhea more frequent around herceptin infusion. Runny eyes, drippy nose but not all the time. Leg muscles more fatigued than usual after walking (but I did 2 hr hike today) lower leg/knees/ankle feel sore or puffy or something. My feet hurt first thing in the a.m. until I get moving around.

Hot flashes! Is this associated with herceptin? I was wondering. I am postmenopausal since bilat oophorectomy Feb. 2008. How long do these hot flashes last? I am not taking any Taxoxifen or AI's that might cause it.

Oh yeah. Occasional cough - from drippy nose?

Also my eyelashes are growing towards my eye on my right eye. I have had to have the doc tweeze them out more than once. It's only about 4-6 eyelashes but I never had this before chemo/herceptin. They are recommending I get the offending lashes lasered to kill the follicle. Chemo: the gift that keeps on giving.

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved

Last edited by DianneS; 09-22-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: shorten post