HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
dawn

Red face Finished chemo

I finished my last chemo on Friday the 4th. Still a little bit tired and queasy but Im not sure how I feel about it. One instant Im very excited to have it over and behind me. Now Im wondering what is left to come. I've got appointments with my oncs on Wednesday, which makes me very nervous and anxious at the same time wondering what the latest news is. So far all my news have been good so I really should'nt be worried.But on one hand I've only just started with this disease and iM wondering what is to come and how much time I'll have to spend with doctors and tests, etc. But i guess when you're faced with a decision then you'll have to make it. Im just prattling on trying to get my feelings in order and hoping for the best. But I must say this site has been helping me so much along the way with information and support. Im guessing m next step is probably herceptin, along with the radiation. but I guess I just want a little break to do things other than run back and forth to the hospital, but only God knows what the future holds so I'll take it one step at a time and fight this with everything I have for my kids.

DAwn

Mar 2006Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 8 of 18 pos 03/14/06: Mastectomy 04/19/06 started Chemo adriamycin, chlophosphamide, taxotere 25 rads
Nov 1, 06: 3 years Tamoxifen, Herceptin (1yr)
Jan 2009 Femara mets to bone aromasin and aredia
June2009: Full Histerectomy
2/22/2010 6 spots in liver 2 mm-10 mm: switched to xeloda and Herceptin will continue with Aredia J
Scan February 2011 new onc, switch to abraxane
April 2011 NED clear organs, 3 spots on bone scar tissue.
Scans August 2mm spot on liver and lungs. now on to tykerb/xeloda
Dec 2011 scans nothing on lungs, liver down to 1 2 mm spot. j
une 2012 another spot on liver on to cisplatin/gemzar.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
penelope

Good for you Dawn!!!!!!

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
lexigirl

Smile

Yippee!! That's great to read!! I hope the rads will be easier for you. I had a pretty easy time with them all in all and was so happy to be done with chemo. Celebrate your first milestone!

Love,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
chrisy

Way to go!

Dear Dawn,
Congratulations on finishing chemo, while at the same time girding yourself for the next step. Your little darlings are wonderful and God willing you will not only see them grow, but have some grandbabies to keep you busy as well...
I know from your posts that you have a strong spirit. You will do what is necessary and you're right, whatever decisions present themselves, you will make when the time comes.
So celebrate having had such success with your chemo! Then take a deep breath and move forward with even greater success!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Chelee

Dawn, I remember finishing my LAST chemo. I was SO looking forward to being done with it, then I go to my last chemo infusion and I had to hold back the tears. (I thought...WHAT on earth is wrong with me?!) Then I realized...I was scared being let out on my own with no chemo. I thought i lost my mind but so many women sense then said that was a very normal feeling. (I hope so...because I know its NOT because I was going to miss feeling like crap.) LOL

You wonder whats next to come? It depends...its a little different for all of us. But you WILL have lots of appts, well at least I know I have had more then my share it seems. I thought I would get a break, but No! All I have done is go to appointments since my last chemo which was June 12th. It hasn't stopped. It can be exhausting...but maybe it won't be as bad for you? Maybe I am just the lucky one. NOT! I have had up to 4 appts alone on each week...its been crazy.

I have had my weekly herceptin, lab work, MRI of brain, follow-up appt with my breast surgeon, lung function test, V.Q. test, PET/CT scan, pulmonary doctor...you name it...I've had it. lol I am sure you WON'T have to do the lung function tests...thats just due to other problems I have. Yours should NOT be as bad as mine...but do expect some.

But you will have appts and follow ups. Then of course you will have to get ready for Radiation soon. That is a couple appointments to get you all markered up and ready for the real thing. Then that is as you know six weeks on a daily basis. Then you have your weekly herceptin unless you do yours on the three wk schedule which is fine.

I can certainly understand your feelings about going back and forth to the hospital and doctors appts all the time...it DOES get old real fast. Usually when you complete chemo your oncologist will want to see you every three months or there abouts. (So that is a little bit of a break.)

Just try to relax at times, and go easy on yourself. Since you had your last chemo on Friday...give it another two or three weeks and you will be surprised at how good you will start feeling. And when you get to the herceptin infusions alone...they are a easy compared to chemo.

Hope all goes well for you. Congratulations on finishing your chemo. You will be feeling alot better in a few days. Take care...and keep us updated. Between now and rads...go do something fun while you can.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
rinaina

Dawn I know just how you feel. I just finished chemo 2 weeks ago and while I am so happy to be done with it and all the horrible side effects I got with it, I felt like I was doing something really positive to get rid of this Her2+ breast cancer and now until I start Herceptin, (which should be Aug 17), I have nothing fighting this horrible disease. I also will be starting Radiation about Sept 11. I am told both of these are so much easier on you than chemo was. I recently posted because I am still not feeling well and was wondering if anyone else had some of the same side effects that I had and wanted to know how long after completing chemo it took them to feel well again. There seems to be so much uncertainty with Her2+ breast cancer so I don't know if I ever will feel comfortable and in control but like you, I will fight this with every fiber and all my strength because I want to live for a very very long time. I want to see my son and daughter get married and i want to see my future grandchildren and spend many more years with my loving husband. I will never ever give up. Good luck to you and keep fighting with everything you have.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
dawn

Thanks all you guys, the support is amazing and Im now on day three and feeling so much better. I was a little tired earlier today and I think when you're not up to your best is when the creepies come in and start to worry you. Tonight Im starting to feel like myself again and with all the support and help from everyone here it makes a big difference. I will keep you updated and let you know what the oncs say on Wednesday.

Dawn

Mar 2006Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 8 of 18 pos 03/14/06: Mastectomy 04/19/06 started Chemo adriamycin, chlophosphamide, taxotere 25 rads
Nov 1, 06: 3 years Tamoxifen, Herceptin (1yr)
Jan 2009 Femara mets to bone aromasin and aredia
June2009: Full Histerectomy
2/22/2010 6 spots in liver 2 mm-10 mm: switched to xeloda and Herceptin will continue with Aredia J
Scan February 2011 new onc, switch to abraxane
April 2011 NED clear organs, 3 spots on bone scar tissue.
Scans August 2mm spot on liver and lungs. now on to tykerb/xeloda
Dec 2011 scans nothing on lungs, liver down to 1 2 mm spot. j
une 2012 another spot on liver on to cisplatin/gemzar.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote